What are my chances? (1 Viewer)

lil tiger

Ok, i want to get to med at Unsw
I think i will get a UAI of around 99.4-99.8, though i think my projected will be lower as i didn't put in enough effort earlier. I am not a prefect or part of the student council and rarely participate in extraciriculum activities. I'm pretty sure that I can do quite well in the umat test. Interview, i'm expecting only to make an 'average' impression. What would you say my chances are? Excellent, good, not so good, bad, extremely difficult. Please be frank.

How about graduate entry at Usyd. Do they selection based on the same critieria? is it GAMSAT, interview and UAI(50%) and uni marks (dinstinction+)?

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ok, I'll be frank.

I think you have NO CHANCE of getting an accurate prediction here.

Why? It is simply too early. You've only just started year 12, you haven't done the UMAT, you haven't been offered an interview, and you still have a year to construct your portfolio of extracurricular activities.

However, to have a reasonable chance at UNSW you need UAI around 98~100, UMAT in the upper 50% (passing is more important than caning everyone), and you need to convince the interviewers that you are passinonate about medicine and are attempting it for the right reasons.

Part time jobs and charity work tend to matter a lot more than being a prefect or whatever, because it shows that you're working for something other than your own reputation.

Don't let this discourage you though! Just try your best and keep medicine in mind whenever you feel like the study is getting too much. If you are ambitious you'll get there.

Last edited:

lil tiger

Jobs? i did get a pretty good comment for work experience. But other than that i haven't been doing anything. And i haven't been doing charity work because that usually gets organised by perfects and stuff. So i have no extraciricular activities to put on. Am i doomed? what could i do? go up and desperate ask to get involved?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
You are not doomed, not at all. However, it would do you well to think about doing at least one of two charity works this year, so you have something to talk about. You don't necessarily need to be involved with organising them, as working in a team is considered just as important as being a leader. Just volunteering to help people is an excellent move.

Conversely, there are many universities that don't interview for placement. The risk here lies in the fact that all attention goes to your UAI and your UMAT. If you do well in both you're in.

I'd say apply to every medical school you think you'd feel comfortable attending. All schools in Australia are federally monitored, so a consistent high standard exists amongst them. This makes it easier to choose which uni you want to study med with - because here Med is just Med, with very little distinction between the "better" schools etc.

by the way, you ARE in year 12 this year, right?

lil tiger

Yes i'm in yr 12 this year. What are charity works would you suggest or know of?
And is med really the same standard throughout all unis? I only ever thought of Unsw. I guess there's still unversity of western sydney and macquarie

qkrtjdxo

HSC
Originally posted by lil tiger
And is med really the same standard throughout all unis? I only ever thought of Unsw. I guess there's still unversity of western sydney and macquarie
UWS and Macquarie don't offer med.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yes i'm in yr 12 this year. What are charity works would you suggest or know of?
Salvos Red Shield appeal, sell daffodils at school daffodil day....

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
What are charity works would you suggest or know of?
red cross, doorknocking for the salvos (red shield appeal in may), selling breast cancer day ribbons, aids day ribbons etc

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Nonono, only certain universities are allowed to establish Medical schools. That's why they are so well regulated, because the Government has to approve an institutions application to open one.

The ones I applied to were:

NSW
UNSW (also first year transfer)
U Newcastle
--USyd only offers Graduate

VIC
Monash (no grad or transfer)
U Melbourne (also allows Graduate)

Others
U Tasmania (also graduate and undergrad transfer)
U Adelaide

Friends also applied to UWA and some place in Queensland.

All the above charities are excellent, as are Amnesty International, Red Cross etc.

Since you haven't done much in charity before you probably won't impress them with longstanding commitment, but I don't think joining and actively participating in a charity would be so wise in the middle of year 12. Just try to do something for others, so you at least have the experience and can think about and discuss it.

MrA

how does first year transfer into med work? i guess they only take ppl with at least a science-based (medical science) degree?

lil tiger

Selling those stuff heh? Damn, i should've done that a long time ago. I guess all these activities you would need to enquire into the school student body?

As for the unis, i not leaving sydney, chances are the university for me is unsw. I don't know about newcastle, isn't that like far and doesn't have as good a rep?

Edit: How do you participate in council activities? I need to get a better record.

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ok First Year transfer is basically transferring from whatever undergraduate degree you're doing now into First Year MBBS.

Your initial degree is irrelevant, it is more reliant on your GPA, or performance in assessment. When you transfer you start Medicine from day one, as if you were just out of the HSC. Essentially you have one year of extra HECS, but get into medicine. I don't think any of the universities give advances standing for ANY subject because the course is completely integrated.

santaslayer

HSC
u could always join sum social justice thing at skool..or if ur skool dosnt have it then u could advocate for one...that would make u look real good..lol

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
you can join the RSPCA or the NSW animal welfare league, and if u pay a bit more you get life membership and then it doesnt show how long you've been a member because it says "life member". I reckon it would look good 4 u because it shows you have an interest in welfare, and u are caring and such. Plus, the RSPCA always needs money!!!

lil tiger

Hmm, is money all you need to join? i thought you had to do stuff for them to get life membership. Anywayz, how many people apply and how many people make it. Does anyone know?

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Nope, money is all you need, you just fill in an application, send the money, and wait for them to accept (i think they check that u have no previous offecnces first, but thats all). Of course, if you get in, you may feel morally obligated to help them out in the future when you have the means to (ie- put them in your will or somthing)

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Shitloads apply, like tens of thousands. 150 or so make it in.
i thought way less try out
consider there is like 50000 people doing the HSC, 5% gets the 95%+ but realistically only you need 98%+, so that's about 1000 people. And not all the 1000 people will want to do med. So i'm thinking maybe 400 or so. Considering oversea students, mabye 600 or so? Sound reasonable?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
What makes you think that only HSC leavers apply for Life Membership;)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)