What are my chances? (1 Viewer)

BHHS

HSC
Just trying to decide if I should structure my preferences to give me a chance at graduate entry or whatever. Anyway, for UNSW:

UAI - 99.75
UMAT - 186
Interview - average to below average

Do I have a short at getting first/second round preferences, and if not what are my alternatives?

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
UMAT UAI
152 100.0
168 99.5
175 99.0
188 98.0
201 97.0
215 96.0
227 95.0

Judging from the figures, you should be fine.

BHHS

HSC
Yeah but that's only to get an interview, and only a third of people who do interviews get in, and I really didn't do that well at all at the interview...

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
blue_chameleon said:
UMAT UAI
152 100.0
168 99.5
175 99.0
188 98.0
201 97.0
215 96.0
227 95.0

Judging from the figures, you should be fine.
Those numbers are useless if you didn't do well in the interview.
Most of the applicants who are offered an interview have a UAI of around 98-99, and a competitive UMAT score.
Stop consuming drugs.

... It depends BHHS, if you feel as if the interview didn't go as well as expected, then there's always next year. Remember people, there are other avenues of entry into medicine, therefore don't panic if you didn't gain a 2008 MBBS seat. You're doing really well friends, keep up the good work!

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
Haha I guess I'm a bit late jumping into this thread considering change of preference closed and all but if you DID keep UNSW Med then you definitely have a good shot. With that UMAT/UAI combo you only really need an average-ish interview to get in I reckon. Your combo puts you like above average for the typical successful UNSW applicant - but not as high as me of course (kidding =))

Edit: You have an even better shot if you're willing to go bonded. UMelb bonded is also an option if you really want to do med and you think you really screwed your interview.

Last edited:

Season

HSC
At the moment being bonded wouldn't be so bad, we are in such a shortage at the moment that many urban areas of Sydney are considered areas of shortage. If you decided to work as a pathologist or radiologist you could work in the very heart of Sydney as they currently have a shortage there...

In fact you could just pick a speciality that there is a national shortage of and work anywhere you liked. Being bonded is not bad at all at the moment.

I'm not sure what all the extra grads will do, but just saying bonded may not be so bad.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
With a good interview you'll be sweet.

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
Season said:
At the moment being bonded wouldn't be so bad, we are in such a shortage at the moment that many urban areas of Sydney are considered areas of shortage. If you decided to work as a pathologist or radiologist you could work in the very heart of Sydney as they currently have a shortage there...

In fact you could just pick a speciality that there is a national shortage of and work anywhere you liked. Being bonded is not bad at all at the moment.

I'm not sure what all the extra grads will do, but just saying bonded may not be so bad.
Yeah, the reason I say that I agree with Bacilli "to an extent" is that it depends on what specialty you'd like to do. As a GP you may be forced to the fringes of metro areas or into rural areas but as far as the majority of specialties go, the guy at UNSW Info day was saying how rural centres are pretty much catered for and areas of workforce shortage for specialties include Newcastle and Wollongong (and even Sydney if you're crazy-lucky). But at least the good thing about Bonded is that you can choose where you go.

Zephyrio

HSC
Pardon my ignorance, but what does "bonded" mean (in this context of course)?

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what does "bonded" mean (in this context of course)?
Bonded is a medical place where an agreement is made between you and the Government. The agreement is after you have completed studies, and res, you agree to work in areas of shortage (usually a six year agreement). It's like being the dog, and you're collard by the Government. It's a fucked up system which imo should be abolished yesterday. However, if students are stupid enough to bite the bate well good luck attempting to start a family at 32 years of age in the desert somewhere, while screaming aborigines fight over morphine.

Listen, being offered a bonded place is for the weak, don't do it. Spend an extra year repeating the hsc if you missed out on the required UAI.

"The bonded situation is like purchasing a house, but you are restricted to live outside!" - Biology Lect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)