What are locuses, really? (1 Viewer)

VenomP

HSC
My current understanding leads me to believe that it is always some point equidistant from two different equation-lines. But I know there are some questions which specifically state that the equidistance is a condition of the locus.

So what is a locus, really?

Also, can anyone tell me the formula for an external and internal division and all that jazz?

Thanks.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
My current understanding leads me to believe that it is always some point equidistant from two different equation-lines. But I know there are some questions which specifically state that the equidistance is a condition of the locus.

Also, can anyone tell me the formula for an external and internal division and all that jazz?

Thanks.
Roughly:

A locus is the path of a point that satisfies a set of conditions (e.g. distance from a given fixed point is 3 x it's distance from a fixed line). In obtaining an equation of the locus, or some equivalent statement of relationships, we obtain an expression of the relationship.

e.g. the locus of a point 8 units away from a fixed point (5, -7) is
the equation of the circle: (x-5)^2 + (y+7)^2 = 8^2

Note: The plural for locus is loci .

Last edited:

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A

Thanks.
A locus is the description of a moving point that satisfy certain conditions. One of the most commonly used conditions for questions regarding locus is the point being equidistant from 2 other points or lines.

But this is not the only condition possible for locus, you can have a point that is always x units away from the point (a,b). Or you could have the condition that the sum of the distances r and q from the point P(x,y) is a constant.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The very idea of a "moving" point might confuse a lot of people lol.

A locus is a set of points that satisfy a certain condition. This set of points can be described by an equation.

So for example say you want the locus of points such that the shortest distance to the x-axis is equal to the shortest distance to the y-axis.
Some points that satisfy this condition are (1, 1), (- 3, - 3) or (69, 69). More generally to describe EVERY point that satisfies this condition, it is simply the equation y = x, which accounts for the whole set of points of the locus.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Lol my old maths teacher used to say 'Just replace the word locus with equation'.

jet

Banned
HSC
The very idea of a "moving" point might confuse a lot of people lol.

A locus is a set of points that satisfy a certain condition. This set of points can be described by an equation.

So for example say you want the locus of points such that the shortest distance to the x-axis is equal to the shortest distance to the y-axis.
Some points that satisfy this condition are (1, 1), (- 3, - 3) or (69, 69). More generally to describe EVERY point that satisfies this condition, it is simply the equation y = x, which accounts for the whole set of points of the locus.
Completely true. Set of points is a better way of saying it.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
A Locus is a set of points that satisfies a certain condition. It can always be written as an equation. Basically if there's the word locus think: what is the equation of the curve that is .........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)