We're in year 11! (1 Viewer)

P

pLuvia

Welcome R15I23D05D14Y to BOS, treat this year as a very relaxed year for year 12. Dropping boring subjects or subjects that you don't like is sometimes a good idea, unless you do well, then you should keep it.

Dropping subjects gives you, usually, free periods which allows you to do homework, extra study

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
I dont know many people who used their frees for study lol. We got to eat in some classes (like hospo lol..and maths).

I would suggest applying yourself but not stressing too much. As someone said, these marks dont count to the hsc, BUT the people who took this for granted were quite unprepared for what lay ahead. If youre doing maths, then obviously what you learn this year you will need for the year 12 course...and also, year 11 english is an excellent trial run for the hsc. Also, i would say dont throw out your year 11 stuff because essays are really useful to look back on for yr 12.

all the best

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
dont you get hungry? you need to eat at school :s

but anyway, year 11 should be a fun experience for you guys, not something to stress out about. Study, but dont burn yourself out. Enjoy the work, be interested in it and you'll be more motivated, it's more enjoyable = you study more and get better results. Think of it as practice for the HSC year - you're allowed to make mistakes, so learn from them. And dont completely abandon your life out of school either - sure, you need to work, and work hard, but dont let that scare you into becoming a study-hermit for the next two years. good luck!
lol haha my body's weird...:p See I'd get REAL hungry and that in period 2, or period 4 or 5, but hey, once roll call's finished and recess rolls around, or the lunchbell goes, ZOOM! Off I am to the computer room! And no, I don't feel hungry at all :D But that's not *too* strange, seeing that your body stops being hungry when you've been hungry for a prolonged period...if that made sense at all :p

Hehe thanx for the advices...eep think I'd just try my best...aah I hope that I can get the teachers I want...really hoping so...*fingers cross* :p

mz_alliteration

HSC
Needing advice

I am also starting year 11 this year and is in desperate need of an advice. I have chosen 13 units for my preliminary course when the compulsory unit to be chosen is 12. Is it better to have more units?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Welcome mz alliteration to BOS, having 13 units can be a good thing assuming you enjoy the subject matter and can handle the workload. For some people however it can hinder their abilities to perform to their full potential in other subjects it really depends what type of student you are and how you manage your time and study.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
mz_alliteration said:
I am also starting year 11 this year and is in desperate need of an advice. I have chosen 13 units for my preliminary course when the compulsory unit to be chosen is 12. Is it better to have more units?
I'm doing 13 units this year too! Gimme 5! :D

Well I guess it depends on you :p I'm sure you already know that the number of units you choose can affect your time spent on each subject, but personally I doubt that 1 extra would be *too* much a difference :p See, I chose my subjects cos I wanted them, and also because of the fact that I find 1-unit subjects like Psychology pointless for me :p Not interested in any of those! :p But I would like to keep my maths extension, which is how I ended up with 13 units. Do you feel that you'd prefer to keep your extension unit? Even if you're not sure right now, I think that you can still change your mind up until 6 weeks into Term 1 this year (well at least it works like that at my school :D). So just try it first, don't worry :)

P

pLuvia

13 units is a lot, I dropped 1 of my subjects because it was too stress ful

googled

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Just on the hungry thing, I hate it when you get hungry in class and then your stomach rumbles. So embarressing!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Didn't have enough breakfast googled? Maybe you should eat a little more in the morning to prevent that from occuring again. :hammer:

googled

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Riviet said:
Didn't have enough breakfast googled? Maybe you should eat a little more in the morning to prevent that from occuring again. :hammer:
Oh course I eat a propper breakfast, lunch and dinner (with snacks in between)! I guess I just use a lot of energy thinking in class :)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
put your best effort into this year. thus by getting the best possible marks when entering year 12, it will motivate you heaps during term 4 and the rest of the terms to do well in assessments, exams and also to defend the rank that you achieved during yr11 ! start assessments early, write notes EARLY and not the night before an exam which many people do and don't stress yourself out that much ! you'll be fine =] i know this for a fact because yr11 esp term3 was probably one of the most stressful experiences i ever encounted but i came out alive still hahah. good luck to you all and don't get into the habit of procrastination as bad habits will carry on ! and trust me it will be hard to change esp during term4 as you will be mentally exhausted due to the fact that you just came out of year11 and also that most people in the other years are starting to slacken off while you still have to study ! good luck to you all and i hope you achieve the marks you deserve =]

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
mz_alliteration said:
I'm doing 13 units too, but that is because at our school we have compulsory SOR1.

If you can cope with 13, and do well in all of them, then keep them for year 11. Remember, you can always drop a subject in year 12, if you can't cope with the workload.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
SoulSearcher said:
I'm doing 13 units too, but that is because at our school we have compulsory SOR1.
That's exactly what happened when I was in year 11. SOR 1 was compulsory for the whole year, and if you did 5 units of maths and english combined, then we also had to do SOR 2 so that it would add up to 13.

bE_On_eDGe

HSC
Some things you'll find out when you start your senior years of high school...

1. Your work load will increase; it won't be like year 10 especially if you’re doing more then 12 units
2. You will get privileges and the teacher will treat you like adults.
3. You will get left behind if you don’t do your homework, assignments, etc. Remember to write down notes and revise!

Don’t stress too much, just enjoy the experience. You will do well if you do the subjects you are good at. If you haven’t chosen the subjects you’re good at looks like your gonna have to push your self.

Another thing find balance in you life. Don’t focus on study only, maintain a balance with your social life and find time for sport or exercise. It will keep you sane!!!

P

pLuvia

If you one of those people who leave assessments to last minute I recommend you break that habit once you get to year 12 but start it in year 11.
Also no excuses about forgetting to bring assessments to school, unless you have a valid reason, usually holiday or doctor's certificate then you will automatically get zero no questions asked.

Destiny101

HSC
Yeah - Good Luck to you all! By the way, are any of you studying ahead for Year 11?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Destiny101 said:
Yeah - Good Luck to you all! By the way, are any of you studying ahead for Year 11?
There really isn't any need to be 'studying ahead' year 11 doesn't count towards your HSC unless you feel your skills in a subject area are lacking then I don't see the point. Enjoy the hoildays they are your last free summer hoildays.

Elke

HSC
Ok so now I'm starting to get worried about year 11 (well I was last year too, but even more so now). This year I have to change schools- go to my "College's" "Senior Campus" as they are calling it - a load of bull in my eyes.
This year I have 14 units and am getting quite scared already. I have maths and english extension but knew even last year that I wanted to drop the english. The main problem is english is my best subject - even though I hate it, and maths is one of my favourite subjects, but I'm pretty good at too. However I'm a bit worried about my ability to cope with the extra unit. I know next year will be hard work, especially with the subjects I have chosen but I can't help wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew here.

whatdafork

HSC
Go with the 14 units for the first term and see how the workload turns out. If you find it isn't too much of a problem, then you should probably continue with it as it gives you more options when you go to pick Year 12 subjects. Otherwise just drop it because you have 14 units anyway. I mean, a lot of my friends even switched subjects and such in the first week of year 11, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Oh yeah, I actually found Ext. English to be kind of bludgy because my teacher would just show us videoes al lthe time. Not that it was a bad thing though =]

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Elke said:
Ok so now I'm starting to get worried about year 11 (well I was last year too, but even more so now). This year I have to change schools- go to my "College's" "Senior Campus" as they are calling it - a load of bull in my eyes.
This year I have 14 units and am getting quite scared already. I have maths and english extension but knew even last year that I wanted to drop the english. The main problem is english is my best subject - even though I hate it, and maths is one of my favourite subjects, but I'm pretty good at too. However I'm a bit worried about my ability to cope with the extra unit. I know next year will be hard work, especially with the subjects I have chosen but I can't help wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew here.
im sure you be fine =] and trust me your not the only yr11 who feels that way. best thing i suggest for you is not to think that you won't be able to cope with the extra unit but believe that you would succeed in it !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)