Welcome to Usyd Business and Economics!!! (1 Viewer)

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Yes first post.

Anyone with any questions about the Usyd Business and Economics Faculty feel free to ask and it shall be answered. . .eventually!

= Jennifer =

HSC
hopefully i will be going to uni in 2005 but i have a question cause i am curious about the two courses:

Bachelor of Economic and Social Sciences
Bachelor of Commerce

in both these courses you can major in Human resources and Industrial relations

do you do the same work in the courses even though they are different degrees??

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
i think the amounts of credit points required should be the same, although i believe ecos soc sci degree gives you a broader range of majors and electives (eg. some arts) than the plain commerce degree

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
actually, yeah, in ecos soc sci, u can take psychology and sociology as majors

alman

what separates usyd commerce from unsw commerce?

from a student's perspective..

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
bad timing alman...i think most of the class of 02 r on holidays or away, maybe try unsw forum, there seems to be more there.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by alman
what separates usyd commerce from unsw commerce?

from a student's perspective..
There isn't that much difference really except that at UNSW there are a greater number of majors to choose from that sydney doesn't offer such as international business and actuarial studies.

In terms of reputation and prestige they are relatively the same, possibly UNSW has a bit of an edge over Usyd in the asia pacific region though. I think it really comes down to which uni's atmosphere you like better, which can be decided from the open days.

Dingo

Banned
Note: post was self-deleted for own personal reasons.

Peace^^

Last edited:

Noelle

I have a question about maths!

Will you struggle in the first year if you hate maths?

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Originally posted by Noelle
I have a question about maths!

Will you struggle in the first year if you hate maths?
nah you'll be fine.
I never did maths in year 12 and i still manage to pass and get decent grades. But this is only first year, If you are thinking of majoring in Finance/accounting/economics/econometrics in later years than you need to be good at maths. But i'm majoring in Marketing which requires only first year econometrics which i passed.

at usyd there is the Maths Learning centre where any student from any faculty can drop in and ask for help from a maths tutor and there are 2unit and 3unit maths bridging courses. So you'll be fine.

ShAdow_FaX

HSC
so for someone that doesnt exactly excel in maths it isnt a heaps demanding course in terms of the first yr prequisites? if you major in other areas such as HRM/IR, management & marketing are there many job options cos it seems to me that everyone that finishes this degree majors in either finance, accounting etc....???

lilp

hey, if i dont get into b.comm at usyd, is it hard to transfer from b.eco to b.comm in 2nd yr??? i heard that in 1st yr, the 2 degrees are very similar, therefore it is faily easy to transfer however i dont know how competitive it is :(

do u have ne suggestions on what i could take, to transfer into b.comm, if not the b.eco???

thx in advance :D

Dingo

Banned
in order to transfer into B Commerce at Usyd, you need a distinctoin average in your 1st yr of uni, and they also look at your UAI, and you need a UAI of at least 90.

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Transferring requires at least a Credit average. But it is competitive so a Distinction would be better. Also having a UAI close to the cut-off would help greatly.

RXG

Originally posted by = Jennifer =
hopefully i will be going to uni in 2005 but i have a question cause i am curious about the two courses:

Bachelor of Economic and Social Sciences
Bachelor of Commerce

in both these courses you can major in Human resources and Industrial relations

do you do the same work in the courses even though they are different degrees??
Yes, regardless of degree. If you choose the unit say WORK 1001 then you'll be doing the same stuff and those doing economics, arts or even science degrees if they choose that major.

RXG

Originally posted by lilp
hey, if i dont get into b.comm at usyd, is it hard to transfer from b.eco to b.comm in 2nd yr??? i heard that in 1st yr, the 2 degrees are very similar, therefore it is faily easy to transfer however i dont know how competitive it is :(

do u have ne suggestions on what i could take, to transfer into b.comm, if not the b.eco???

thx in advance :D
Try and do similar subjects in the BEc degree as you would for the BCom in first year. Get a credit average, distinction would be better and apply to transfer!

lilp

omg omg omg!!! i got into b.arts/b.comm at usyd and im sooooooo excited, but i have one problem...i didnt do economics or businessy type subjects in yr 11 and 12...i actually did sciency type subjects...so my question is, will i b completely lost in uni or will i b able to catch up???

cheers :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)