Weird disparity with computing degrees (1 Viewer)

Acid

HSC
Weird disparity with BUSINESS degrees

Was just checking out the UAC book - i'm really interested in doing a Business degree at UTS. However, I also noticed a B Business/B Computing combined degree, which looks quite decent as well. The regular business degree requires a 92.05 UAI (2004-cutoff), while the Business/Computing degree only requires 86.3.

Is there something wrong here? If I do the combined degree, will I get the exact same degree as the Business students, plus a Computing degree whilst doing one less year of Uni and needing about 6 less UAI points?

Confused - help! :)

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
The difference is that a B Business/Computing degree is not at all a Business degree....it's actually a combination and not two single degrees. :)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
That's not entirely true. The reason why the UAI is higher for the single BBus degree is that more people are interested in studying 2 business majors (like Accounting and Finance) which you can only do in the single degree. If you look at the UAIs of the other combined degrees, such as BBus/BEng and BBus/BSc, you will notice they are all lower as well. The only one that is higher is BBus/LLB obviously.

With the combined BBus degrees, such as the BBus/BComp, you do indeed do the BBus degree, but you only do one major, and not 2 like the normal degree. So basically you do 2 years of the Business degree and not 3. This is still pretty good though, especially if you want to only do one Business major. If you are going to do the BBus degree with a major in Accounting and a major in IT, then you may as well add an extra year and do the combined 4 year BBus/BComp degree.

The Business part of the BBus/BComp degree is 2 years, where you do 1 year's worth of Business core subjects (such as Accounting, Marketing, Law, Management, Economics, Finance, Statistics, and such). Then you get to do a whole Business major for the other 1 year (which can be in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Management, etc). You get the same recognition for your major as if you had done the single degree. For example, you can still go for your CA or CPA if you take the Accounting major.

The Computing part of the BBus/BComp degree is also 2 years (to make up 4 years). You do about 1.5 years worth of Computing core subjects (which is made up of programming, networking, information systems, databases, management, project subjects, etc). Basically the subjects you take in the BComp are quite similar to the BSc in IT single degree (the last 4 core subjects are exactly the same). The other 0.5 years is made up of an IT sub-major, which you can take in applications development, computer graphics, internet business technology, IT management, and so on.

It's a very good course to do if your interested in both IT and Business. Its a combined degree, so you will get 2 degrees, the BBus and the BComp.

I'm doing the BBus/BComp degree and I'm in my 3rd year at the moment. Feel free to ask me any questions :).

Acid

HSC
Thanks very much for taking the time to respond jasee! I'll let you know if I have any questions...

santaslayer

HSC
jasee said:
That's not entirely true. The reason why the UAI is higher for the single BBus degree is that more people are interested in studying 2 business majors (like Accounting and Finance) which you can only do in the single degree. If you look at the UAIs of the other combined degrees, such as BBus/BEng and BBus/BSc, you will notice they are all lower as well. The only one that is higher is BBus/LLB obviously.

With the combined BBus degrees, such as the BBus/BComp, you do indeed do the BBus degree, but you only do one major, and not 2 like the normal degree. So basically you do 2 years of the Business degree and not 3. This is still pretty good though, especially if you want to only do one Business major. If you are going to do the BBus degree with a major in Accounting and a major in IT, then you may as well add an extra year and do the combined 4 year BBus/BComp degree.

The Business part of the BBus/BComp degree is 2 years, where you do 1 year's worth of Business core subjects (such as Accounting, Marketing, Law, Management, Economics, Finance, Statistics, and such). Then you get to do a whole Business major for the other 1 year (which can be in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Management, etc). You get the same recognition for your major as if you had done the single degree. For example, you can still go for your CA or CPA if you take the Accounting major.

The Computing part of the BBus/BComp degree is also 2 years (to make up 4 years). You do about 1.5 years worth of Computing core subjects (which is made up of programming, networking, information systems, databases, management, project subjects, etc). Basically the subjects you take in the BComp are quite similar to the BSc in IT single degree (the last 4 core subjects are exactly the same). The other 0.5 years is made up of an IT sub-major, which you can take in applications development, computer graphics, internet business technology, IT management, and so on.

It's a very good course to do if your interested in both IT and Business. Its a combined degree, so you will get 2 degrees, the BBus and the BComp.

I'm doing the BBus/BComp degree and I'm in my 3rd year at the moment. Feel free to ask me any questions :).
ewww...that sounds really hectic....two years per degree, or did i read wrong?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
It's ok Acid.

Its a normal combined degree. As with most combined degrees, you don't do the WHOLE of each degree. Basically the electives in one degree get credit for the other degree and vice versa, hence you do less of each degree but still meet the requirements, if you get what I mean. For example, the BBus single degree is 3 years, but you have to do the 8 core subjects (1 year) and at least 1 major (1 year), but your other year can be a 2nd major, 2 sub-majors, or electives. Basically this 1 year is taken over by another 2 years of computing. Same thing happens with computing the other way around.

You still do 4 subjects per semester, which is the normal load for 6 credit point subjects at UTS. You basically do the same amount of work as if you did the single degree, except you take a year longer than the single BBus degree, but you end up with a computing degree as well. The BBus/BComp is also recognised for professional level membership into the Australian Computer Society as well, which is always a good thing. Some computer science degrees at other universities don't qualify for professional level membership, only associate(or whatever the lower level is).

Munchy

HSC
Hi Beaky,

I was looking at the business/computer course too. It sounds pretty good and it can act as another preference if I don't get into the co-op scholarship course (BIT) (the chances seem slim for me to be accepted.) I've got a few questions, if you don't mind answering them.

1. What methods of assessment are involved? - are there lots of group projects, individual tasks, exams, practical work?

2. What are the graduate employment rates like from this course?

That's all from the top of my head now..

Thanks, Monica

Munchy

HSC
Hi Beaky,

I was looking at the business/computer course too. It sounds pretty good and it can act as another preference if I don't get into the co-op scholarship course (BIT) (the chances seem slim for me to be accepted.) I've got a few questions, if you don't mind answering them.

1. What methods of assessment are involved? - are there lots of group projects, individual tasks, exams, practical work?

That's all from the top of my head now..

Thanks, Monica

randomdude1

1. each subject gets around 2 assignments and a final exam per semester give or take (some also have a midsemester exam), i'd say about 60% of the assignments are individual, 40% group...very little practical work

2. no clue wat the employment rates are...better be damn good...i need a job

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Munchy said:
Hi Beaky,

Thanks, Monica
1. Umm what normally happens is there are two assements worth 40% that you do in your own time and a 60% Final Exam. The Business part is totally differet and differs depending on the subject. I.e You can choose to do a 100% Final Exam in accounting, Marketing is 65% exams, 35% Analysis report)

2. Too early to tell. No one has graduated :p. Generally FIT employment rate is around 90-95%

S

Shuter

I was looking at this degree too, but really only as a lower alternative to if I didn't make it into the pure Bach of Business degree. Is it possible to start this degree then drop the computer part, playing them all for chumps and getting in on a lower UAI?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Since the course is run by the IT faculty, you'd have to drop it by transferring into the single BBus degree via UAC since you can't do an ICT in the Faculty of IT. That's one of the catches with the lower UAIs on the combined computing, science and engineering degrees :).

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Donshe said:
Hey guys,

Just a quick question here. Although the entry UAI was 86.xx last year, do you think or have been hinted at by lecturers that it will really jump for '04?

So if I do not make it, what is the most viable (and lower UAI entry) option I could take up and then transfer in 2nd year?
it wont rise any furthur.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
They took more people than they should of last year because it was popular. It was a new course last year aswell. Generally speaking new courses start off with lower UAI's

aditya

HSC
this degree isnt as good as it sounds.... u dunt even get membership with the australian computer society (ACS)... thats really bad... but i dno, if u can get it with accounting... if u can... IM THERE!!!

and this should be one of the best degrees out there

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I assume your still all talking about the BBus/BComp right?

Well if so, then YES you CAN get professional level membership with the Australian Computer Society with the computing side of the degree. If you don't believe me, the course is listed on the ACS website as "professional" level membership (http://www.acs.org.au/accreditation/acccounsw.htm#uts). Most of the IT related courses at UTS get you membership, whether its professional or associate level. In fact, if you look at that site, UTS offers the most number of courses (both undergraduate and postgraduate) that offer ACS membership. Doing just an IT major in the single BBus degree will even get you the associate level membership. Consider this with say the computing science degree at USyd which isn't even listed on the ACS website as any sort of membership.

As for the BBus, well doing a business major in this course is the same as doing it in the single degree. You can do ANY of the business majors offered (except for IT of course), including Accounting. I am personally doing the Accounting major and you CAN do it, and its the same as doing it in the single BBus degree (ie. it is accredited by both CPA and ICAA).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)