• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Web page authoring (1 Viewer)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Is there any better web site design programs or is Dreamweaver still the best

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
MedNez said:
That's purely a matter of opinion. Dreamweaver, as I see it, is the most efficient web coding program available, allownig you to draw tables or layers graphically, while still being able to code languages purely in text (albiet with syntax highlighting).

It depends on your level of programming, or personal preference. Some people find Frontpage earlier as it is closer to Word (and therfore familiar in use), while some prefer the more advanced (and somewhat clearer) code of Dreamweaver.

My answer would be yes, Dreamweaver is the most efficient.
Ok say someone has never did any website designing or programming which would be the best, would that be Frontpage

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
MedNez said:
I'd still recommend you get into a good habit early and use Dreamweaver. Once you get the hang of things it is really good at doing it's job - it just takes patience to learn, as with anything.

For someone unfamiliar with many programs, that is, closer to computer illiterate, I'd recommend Frontpage for it's easy to use format, like that of Microsoft Word.

In summary:

New to web design, Dreamweaver
Relatively new to computers, or not computer literate, Frontpage
Rightio, then thanks, i would think that alot of ppl would find that helpful

Pharaohsam

HSC
Uni Grad
it depends if you code you can just use notepad. if you don't code then its dreamweaver or frontpage. personally, i use frontpage cause it has all the familiar buttons etc like in word/excel/powerpoint.

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
i use dreamweaver to code and nothing else design wise. I love its feature of being able to have different 'Sites' - makes management, file opening and browsing far easier - also uploading to my local testing server easy as well.
I used to use a program called HTML-Kit (www.chami.com) which was great..with many of the same coding features of dreamweaver.. just without the site management and uploading facilities.

jonathan109

HSC
N/A
I think coding raw would be about the best, not even use any wysiwig clients, if you get into the habbit of learning how to write your web pages by hand with no apps to help you out, it would be better then when you're comfortable and you know what it's all about move to a wysiwig client for more quicker web page deployment.

asscookie

dork.
HSC
As much as I hate wysiwyg programs, I'd rather see someone who didn't know w3c standards inside out using Dreamweaver (or even Frontpage) than a text editor.

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Yeah I used to do all that web stuff in notepad. I was pretty good at it and made many neat designs. But I just got sick of all those annoying standards that changed all the time and how shit html was as a markup language. All those tables and divs... Hell you had to test things in different browsers with different resolutions and everything always behaved differently. So I just gave it up. It's too bad cause I really liked php.

asscookie

dork.
HSC
The w3c standards don't change all that often; for the last few years they've been recommending the use of XHTML, divs, and CSS over their respective alternatives. I personally think that paying attention to the standards has helped me design sites that are cross browser compatible, but even then there are still slight differences in the way the different browsers render things.

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Yeah but you always have like bloody 10 command things to do the same thing and it pisses me off. AND THE FRIKEN MARGINS ARE ALWAYS DIFFENRENT!

I used Div's mostly over tables because it was cleaner and stuff. I was one of those pixel perfect web designers and it's very hard to be pixel perfect with HTML.

But then against I haven't coded in a couple of years. Some things might have changed a bit.

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
the way DW does some of the coding for the WYSIWG stuff is a bit funny in my opinion.. but I do use it from time to time to make things move quick.
I prefer to stick to hand coding though.. especially now I'm trying to learn PHP.

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
I hear they're up to php 5 now aren't they?
Damn PHP was such a sexy language. Everything in php always works like it is supposed to!
I remember once, I had the same host as an internet friend, that is our websites (.com's mind you!) where hosted on the same server, and I managed to make a php script that could enabled me to have read and write access to all the websites on that server. So unsecure....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)