Ways of Developing My Creative Writing Scenario (1 Viewer)

camsharifi

HSC
hi guys, i'm new to this forum so bare with me please.

anyway so i have a possible scenario for my creative writing assessment coming up but i'm struggling to come up with a complication to further develop the plot
so here's my general plot, summarised in point form (i dont care if it's not a good plot but i feel it can be strengthened somehow):
  • a young man (chris) recently graduated from university gets a good job at a corporate firm in New York City; has the physical and material desires but not really emotionally fulfilled
  • moved from los angeles to get this job; unfamiliar with new place, finding it difficult to settle in, knows no one
  • chris is the central character
  • introduction of new character - emma
  • the recruiter working for the job agency (emma) helps chris with the new job and also helps him to get familiar with the new city. a connection is formed gradually; they share similarities > a feeling of social acceptance
now i do have one idea for a complication which is Chris having a flashback of his respected father's death in which the unpleasant memory makes him depressed, questioning himself, identity, purpose etc.... and so he feels a sense of foreboding

something like that though this complication idea isn't deeply thought through

so i would appreciate any suggestions on some ideas and/or comments on my complication idea.
thanks

Bobbo1

HSC
All I can say is that it is strictly a SHORT story, imho you should be able to write a story on any one of those dot points alone. If you are planning to do all of them, then you might as well write a novel :)

Last edited:

hul0

HSC
Hey,
That's a great start! You've tried to incorporate the notions of belonging in your creative through the characters which markers look for. However memories are a commonly used theme for Belonging HSC creative writing, but if you can do it well then continue. Try to make the story line less predictable, include a twist if possible. Make the character different, interesting, stimulating. For example they carry a scar on their body which is a metaphorical representation of....
This changes as the story progresses.

You could also adopt a different perspective for the narrative. Usually better responses do this (marking comments- 'better responses displayed originality and artistry and the mechanics of language, whereas sound responses tended to be predictable, linear or clichéd in their examination of the challenges of belonging and not belonging. In these responses, the mechanics of language was controlled and writing structure was appropriate to form')

It takes time to develop a good plot so jot down a few ideas during your HSC belonging course as they come to you. You can use some inspiration from movies, novels etc not the whole story line though and integrate several ideas to develop your current story or change it if you feel so.

Good luck!

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
A bit off topic, but, does anyone else think this is very similar to the plot of Friends with Benefits? lol.

camsharifi

HSC
yeh it is very similar to friends with benefits lol. but i was only inspired from the general setting of the story. i do want to use a different complication and climax so that its focused on the experiences of belonging (not like every scene being filled with different sex scenes lol)

camsharifi

HSC
well i'm still struggling to find good ideas for a complication with this kind of setting in mind (btw i'm focusing on 5th dot point only). i mean i wanted the story to be set in a modern, civilised society so that's its easy to relate to but to make it interesting for the marker i need a credible complication.
so what i'm asking is what kind of events could i include to really twist the plot and stretch the character's ability of belonging to its limits?
maybe something to do with emma? or the city as a whole? or even to chris himself and/or his family?
any suggestions will be appreciated :idea:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)