Wat's the advantage to combine Commerce with Law? (1 Viewer)

soo jae

HSC
I'm hoping to do Investment Banking in future, i guess.
And I'm aware that just commerce course already contains business law as a part of course.
Is there any particular job (other than lawyer) requiring both fields sufficiently?
thanks.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
soo jae said:
And I'm aware that just commerce course already contains business law as a part of course.
Is there any particular job (other than lawyer) requiring both fields sufficiently?
thanks.
Do you even know what investment banking is?

Rorix

HSC
soo jae said:
thanks.
IBs dont like straight BCom grads - not enough maturity...prefer honours or combined com

soo jae

HSC
I actually don't even know wat is IB.
Could you please explain?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
INVESTMENT BANKING

which is what i thought you wanted to do?

what a joke

p.s. they say if you want to be a ca/cpa accountant than a business law is recommended, got this from a friend

Raginsheep

HSC
soo jae said:
I actually don't even know wat is IB.
Could you please explain?
It involve prostituting every waking hour of yourself for money :p

Geez, if you don't know what investment banking is, why do you want to do it?

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
True. IB is a broad subject, very quantitivative based. Basically firms that want to make more money than they have already got (i think this was posted somewhere else).

Derivatives, Equities, Debt Markets, warrants .... and the list goes on

Raginsheep

HSC
It doesn't have to be quantitative though, I think mergers and acquisitions would be more qualitative where a Com/Law degree would probably help.

Otherwise, get a decent quantitative degree like Engineering or Maths.

Rorix

HSC
AppleXY said:
True. IB is a broad subject, very quantitivative based. Basically firms that want to make more money than they have already got (i think this was posted somewhere else).

Derivatives, Equities, Debt Markets, warrants .... and the list goes on

That stuff isn't really investment banking although its undertaken by investment banks..

Actual investment banking e.g. underwriting, M&A etc aren't very quantitative at all..

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not sure where you got the maturity comment from Rorix...

But yes there is a difference between working in an IB and working in the IBD/IBG. Other areas like FICC, ECM, DCM etc are still in an IBank but not part of the IBD.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
Oops my bad, yea they are apart of IB but not really wot IBs do. Its just that I saw debt markets, FICC, Equities up for provision (sale) at UBS and Citigroup. Yea, IBs mainly do M&As and Underwriting.

But in respect to quantivative relations in IBs; I thought becoz there is alot of mathematical formulae and all (like the monte carlo method, Stochastic volatility, Calculus etc) but then again its not really wot IBs do, i get cha ;)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Most people combine commerce and law just to have more job prospects I suppose and more options when they finish. It also helps if you are looking at jobs which require both fields. Also, say working in an accounting firm like EY doing legal stuff, it would help having both degrees as you'd be able to branch out more.

As most people have said, getting into IB is a challenge and having good marks and even an honours degree really helps. Apart from that, the usual extra curricular activities and work experience helps in whatever graduate job you may be applying for.

Raginsheep

HSC
OP should also make clear as to whether he just wants to work in an IB or specifically do stuff like MA and Underwriting.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Investment banking sounds full of s***. Do something that really benefits society instead.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
_dhj_ said:
Investment banking sounds full of s***. Do something that really benefits society instead.
Any job that you do benefits the society. Whether it be a Investment Banker or Bricklayer, you are contributing to the economy of that particular country. By doing IB, you are benefiting the economy by providing financial services to businesses (and other investors) (IPOs in particular is a major +).

latvia

HSC
N/A
The connection: Business Law

How many things people fight for in the courts (these days) involve money?
hahaha

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
_dhj_ said:
trust me i come from a family of public servants i.e. doctors/teachers/nurses. You get crapped on. Be a little selfish and then help others when you are set.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
velox said:
trust me i come from a family of public servants i.e. doctors/teachers/nurses. You get crapped on. Be a little selfish and then help others when you are set.
This is just about the most sensible and correct statement that I have ever seen on the internet.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
_dhj_ said:
That's an interesting comment from someone doing commerce/law.

Raginsheep

HSC
He's Asian.....I'm guessing the commerce bit is just to satsify his parents :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)