wat RAM should i buy? (1 Viewer)

Huy

HSC
N/A
It should be under Frequency/Voltage Control in the BIOS
Check in the BIOS (hitting the delete key on startup)

If you don't know what you're doing, I suggest you find someone who can do this for you.

Don't touch/change anything else :)

Or, you could try:
'Soft FSB' - I haven't used it, so there's a word of caution here.
ie If you don't know if your mainboard is supported, don't use it.

If all else fails, take it back (if it isn't too much of a hassle)

http://www.voodoofiles.com/250

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
in bios, i went to each options and i can't seem to find anywhere, where u can change stuff like the clock speed,fbs etc.:confused:

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Front-Side-Bus (FSB) is an Intel term describing a CPU-to-system memory data bus. It has been formerly known as CPU bus speed and system bus, too. It is the speed at which the CPU communicates with RAM (memory).

:)

for Rahul
Originally posted by Rahul
the information for the mainboard is not there.....i included the screenshots. maybe i missed it."
Excerpt from www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000504.htm

Question:
How do I determine what type of motherboard I have?

Answer:
Unfortunately without any documentation determining the manufacturer or model of a motherboard can be cumbersome. If you have lost your documentation and/or your computer has not included any documentation you can open the computer and visually inspect the motherboard for a manufacturer and model.

In many cases computer hardware, expansion cards, and/or cables may need to be disconnected or removed before you can inspect all portions of the motherboard.

:(

Last edited:

Rahul

Dead Member
i dont have any documentation. :chainsaw:

what if i take it to the guy who put my computer together and get him to find it out?

fark! i thought i could just go out and buy a chip and shove it in there:mad1:

^___^
HSC
do u still have the boxes whenu purchase teh comp? coz they should have given u the box that kept the mother board...

if u still dunno, like huy said, take everything out

Huy

HSC
N/A
if you bought a computer from a store,
you'll get all the documents/tech support from hp, compaq, sony, gateway, ibm, etc. (any OEM)

that way, the computers will come preconfigured (and more expensive) -- but you will know the model number, you'll be able to visit the website and find out your product specificaitons etc.

if you bought the PC from another friend etc,
then ask him/her if she has any documentation,
manuals, retail boxes, or if he/she knows what parts they had installed for you.

(if they don't, then they shouldn't be working with computers to be honest)

other than that,
you can try to search for your bios ID, which links with your mainboard

e.g. when you boot your system, you'll see a black screen, at the bottom of that screen, you will see the chipset IDs (a string of numbers/letters)

then you can reverse lookup your mainboard that way if you're lucky to know everything that is required.

a site you might want to look at is:
(beware your eyes might hurt)

http://pages.cthome.net/trau/motherboard.htm
and

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/se440bx2/diff.htm

i'll have a think about possible solutions, if any more come to mind.

Rahul

Dead Member
i bought it from a small PC shop. if i take it to him i'm sure i'll get some info from him.

i'll look for the box, altho i think i mite have chucked it away. "pfft, as if i'll ever need the box for it" :mad:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hey huy,

i went into bios and under frequency/voltage settings there is this setting called "cpu host/SDRAM/PCI Clock" and it is set to default, is this the one i should be changing so i can change my fsb???

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Rahul
It says VIA P4X 266. do i go for the pc2100's?
Yep, you've got a VIA Chipset supporting Pentium 4 chips.
(266MHz bus), go for the PC2100 DDR SDRAM (DDR266)

You could also purchase faster RAM e.g. PC2700 (DDR333) but it'll only operate at DDR266 on your mainboard. (This is if you want to upgrade in the future).

For the thrill seekers, DDR500 and DDR533 are out. (PC4000 and PC4200 DDR SDRAM)

Originally posted by freaking_out
hey huy,
i went into bios and under frequency/voltage settings there is this setting called "cpu host/SDRAM/PCI Clock" and it is set to default, is this the one i should be changing so i can change my fsb???
Yes, it's normally under there. Also, it would be under "Soft menu" if you can see it. (Normally the first one on the left hand side). That's where my one is (Phoenix BIOS). To change your FSB, you should change to to "manual" and enter the value of "133" for your FSB, because at present your multiplier (assuming) is locked on 20x.

Therefore 133 * 20 gives 2660MHz; 2.66GHz
(You will be able to see the current FSB set to 108*20 = 2160MHz; 2.16GHz)

If you have your mainboard manual, be sure to read that as well before you mess around with the BIOS.

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by Huy
Yep, you've got a VIA Chipset supporting Pentium 4 chips.
(266MHz bus), go for the PC2100 DDR SDRAM (DDR266)

You could also purchase faster RAM e.g. PC2700 (DDR333) but it'll only operate at DDR266 on your mainboard. (This is if you want to upgrade in the future).

For the thrill seekers, DDR500 and DDR533 are out. (PC4000 and PC4200 DDR SDRAM)

thanks huy :)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Huy

Yes, it's normally under there. Also, it would be under "Soft menu" if you can see it. (Normally the first one on the left hand side). That's where my one is (Phoenix BIOS). To change your FSB, you should change to to "manual" and enter the value of "133" for your FSB, because at present your multiplier (assuming) is locked on 20x.

Therefore 133 * 20 gives 2660MHz; 2.66GHz
(You will be able to see the current FSB set to 108*20 = 2160MHz; 2.16GHz)

If you have your mainboard manual, be sure to read that as well before you mess around with the BIOS.
yeah, i i have read the manual and it says in that setting u can change the fsb...my problem is how do know the other options?? c under that setting (CPU Host/ SDRAM/PCI Clock), u gotta also choose the speeds for the "sdram and pci clock" as well... so how do i meant to know these??

anyway this is what my manual says about this setting:

"use the cpu host clock to set the frontside but frequencey for the installed processor (usually 133 MHz, 100MHz or 66MHz)"

fwuxed

Channeling Ki
HSC
I'll sell you my 30% oc'd duron 1200 for $200. comes complete with hair stuck in heatsink goop.

So that means you get 6 WHOLE MHZ for every $1 you pay me. And a 30% bonus, with heatsink goop and hair.

No wait there's more. If you want I'll even chuck in some dust balls and a bent pin. :)

Jeo

Rahul... from india?? listening to others for advice about computers?? :(

shame on you!

Jeo

BUT! ITS AN INDIANS SITE MAN! YOU DONT UNDERSTAND *shakes head*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)