Wapanese People doing Year 12 Japanese Continuers (1 Viewer)

many-eyeshere

HSC
Please excuse the internet slang in the title.

Yeah just wondering how many people who don't have Asian background are doing Japanese continuers?

I'm struggling at the moment, I've gone from being a band six student to band three.

Any suggestions for kanji and vocabuary rememberance?

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
I'm not Asian, and I do ok in Jap Continuers. For study, you can try flash cards or just read over as many of your textbook passages as you can. You really need to understand what they mean.

I know how you feel though, I feel like I'm really failing Jap atm. I really need to get back in the game!

lizajane91

HSC
i did japanese cont. last year and i have no asian backround but i think i went allright and i loved it so i spose that makes a dif..
Best way to learn kanji is to choose ten kanji to learn a week, everyday you should practice by writing them in a notebook...just whenever you get a chance, get it out and start writing, make sure you write the meaning and pronunciations above the original kanji so you can say it each time you write it.
i did the prelim and hsc course in one year last year and by the end of the course my notepad was completely full!! have fun with kanji and write a diary entryeach week, trying to use as much kanji as you can...this will help with language skills too

good luck guys..any questions dont hesitate to pm or ask me

cerys

because i can.
HSC
Isn't "Wapanese" a derogatory term =P?

There are a few non-asian people doing it via OHS (I'm Asian).

For the Continuers course, there really isn't much kanji we have to remember. THis is how I remember kanji - either 1) write it so often I just remember it OR 2) break it down into 'easier' kanji. For example - 様[sama] <-- Tree 木 + Sheep 羊 + Water 水 and then try to connect it to some bizarre thing/phrase/words/object etc to remember it lol...

Also, would put kanji chart up in the toilet so that when you go to do your thing, you'll inevitably look at the chart while waiting haha.

For vocab, I personally remember words that I've forgotten or don't know in a distinct situation, having to look it up and then remembering it because of that 'situation'. Keep revising vocab daily too (I don't do this though lol). Also could try putting that word into a sentence, saying the sentence in English or even listening to the lyrics of a song that you really like and want to learn the meaning for, looking up each word you don't know and somehow remembering it that way (though I don't know how relevant those words would be to this course lol).

I'm selective with the vocab I remember, I tend to ignore words that aren't required for the course or words that I think will not be used often. I make sure to remember any important words before moving on with the work.

Not so sure how much or if my suggestions will help you though.

davidsacs

HSC
Yeah, Im doing Japanese cont and i'm not Asian... ahha and failing at it

trrc027

HSC
im non-asian doing japanese and im struggling big time, im doing DE which makes it even worse =[ the only way i can ever remember vocab is by making silly/rude sentences using that word...
as for kanji i try and think of a story to go with it such as, the kanji for eki i recognise the 'uma' aspect in it and say 'before trains existed the horses used to stop at the STATION', it works for me but might not work for you!

ktchan

HSC
I'm not of asian background and love and excell in Japanese. Though being overseas in Japan for a year helps...

Sadistic29

HSC
My friend isn't Asian and she's coming second in the course (90). XD The person coming first though (asian) is on 98. Hmmm...

cerys said:
Also, would put kanji chart up in the toilet so that when you go to do your thing, you'll inevitably look at the chart while waiting haha.
You just made my day. XD

ktchan said:
I'm not of asian background and love and excell in Japanese. Though being overseas in Japan for a year helps...
Wow, really? If you don't mind me asking, did you go to school in Japan? XD I met someone last year during the Continuers speaking exam who lived in Japan for 15 years was doing the continuers course. :0

Last edited:

ktchan

HSC
Wow, really? If you don't mind me asking, did you go to school in Japan? XD I met someone last year during the Continuers speaking exam who lived in Japan for 15 years was doing the continuers course. :0

No problem :) I went to an all girls Japanese school near Nagoya for a year. It was lots of fun, I wish I could go back really soon ^^

Also about the person you met who lived in Japan for 15 years, how cool! Though I wonder why they're not doing the background speakers course ?:\

Sadistic29

HSC
No problem :) I went to an all girls Japanese school near Nagoya for a year. It was lots of fun, I wish I could go back really soon ^^

Also about the person you met who lived in Japan for 15 years, how cool! Though I wonder why they're not doing the background speakers course ?:\
How lucky! I'm so jealous. XD I've only been to school in Japan for 6 months in Nagoya when I was in 1st grade (though I went to preschool there). :D I'm assuming you're really good at speaking then (like me)? :D

Yeah, I was wondering why he didn't do background too. Oh well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)