want to get a new phone ... (1 Viewer)

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Casmira said:
from a phone wtf?!
Radiation? Well yes. There have been a few Swedish studies that have shown a loose correlation between phone radiation and certain types of tumors. However these studies have not been totally conclusive. As a result certain class action suits have been filed and dismissed in the US on the basis that there is not enough solid evidence to link phone radiation and health problems.

Either way I don't think holding a phone next to your head for long periods of time is a good idea. Mobile phone makers recognize the possible danger of phone radiation. As such they publish the 'SAR' of each phone. Certain phones have higher SARS than others. Also what I said previously about Samsung phones is untrue. From my research certain older Motorola phones have the highest SAR levels and current SE phones have higher SAR levels.

It can be confusing looking at the figures. The USA, Canada and Taiwan have different measuring standards to Australia and the EU. The current EU and Australian requirements measure radiation in terms of how much radiation is absorbed by 10g of human tissue when held next to the ear. All mobile handsets in Australia and the EU must be below a rating of 2.0.

In the USA, Canada and Taiwan radiation is measured in terms of radiation absorption per 1g of human tissue. To pass the standard in these nations the reading must be below 1.6.

----------------

Highest SAR US measurments.

1a. Motorola V120c 1.55
1b. Motorola V265 1.55
3. Motorola V70 1.54
4a. Motorola P8767 1.53
4b. Motorola ST7868 1.53
4c. Motorola ST7868W 1.53
7a. Motorola A845 1.51
7b. Panasonic Allure 1.51
7c. Treo 650 GSM 1.51
10. Sony Ericsson P910 1.50

Lowest US SAR measurments

1. Audiovox PPC66001 0.12
2. Motorola MPx200 0.2
3. Motorola Timeport L7089 0.22
4. Qualcomm pdQ-1900 0.2634
5. T-Mobile Sidekick 0.276
6a. Samsung SGH-S100 0.296
6b. Samsung SGH-S105 0.296
8. Sony Ericsson Z600 0.31
9. Mitsubishi G360 0.32
10. Siemens S40 0.33

Last edited:

Srixon

HSC
yeah ebay is pretty safe just check where the item is form there r alot of phones from overseas try to stay to the ones in australia and alot of them r actual stores in australia so they wont f**k with u just check there feedback, alot of thme give u 12 months warranty as well

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
I'm currently using the iMate SP5. It's the best Windows Mobile smartphone you can get on the market. It's really sweet. QVGA screen, 1.3 megapixel camera (not the best tho), Windows Mobile 5.0 and Wifi. This phone is perfect for MSN (it's built-in). It also has Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player.

PDA phones are technically smartphones too, the division lines are blurring. However, a PDA phone usually has a touchscreen and/or a Qwerty keypad. It will run an operating system such as Pocket PC (Windows Mobile), Symbian UIQ, Linux or Palm.
Smartphones look like ordinary phones, but they run a more streamlined version of the above operating systems.

Last edited:

fatmuscle

HSC
what's the iMate SP5 equivelant from O2?

There are too many different O2 models with slight variations.
Mini, Mini Pro, Atom, Mini Exec - although not all are available in Australia.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
I love the english in those reviews. Translated from Russian...i think.

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
fatmuscle said:
what's the iMate SP5 equivelant from O2?

There are too many different O2 models with slight variations.
Mini, Mini Pro, Atom, Mini Exec - although not all are available in Australia.
It's the O2 Orion. It'll be out very soon (if HTC manages to produce enough of them).

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I got my 6630 from ebay and I haven't had any problems.

But your probably won't want anything from nokia's N series since they are pretty chunky.

If you want small/light, go for the samsung D600 or maybe a nokia 6230i

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
I am waiting for the SE W900i to come out... it's supposed to be released roughly around 10th Decemeber.

It is one of the best non-smart phones out there, except for the chunkyness --

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-w900-en.shtml
I have also been interested in the SE range. Planning to get a phone during these christmas holidays; with the w800 and the w900 being the most dominant of my choices.

This review however doesn't seem to be all that good? I didn't read it all, just skimmed it, but the conclusion wasn't a very good one.

"The company realizes the narrowness of the market for W900i and do not plan, that it will be super mass. This model is for technologies treatment and examination of technological solutions viability. Large audience is not necessary for such tests in situ and even harmful. The phone is interesting on paper, but, as well as any test it is of little avail in daily life. This is a full contrast from Sony Ericsson K750i/W800i."

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
And also, if I were to get the W800 Virgin has a decent plan on it right now. $50 worth of calls and you pay $54 a month for it, however i'm also seeking 'insurance' which I know optus offers but they don't seem to have this phone for sale. Correct me on this if i am wrong :)

But anyway, does Virgin have any insurance options?

HSC
so what about those phones with big screen and just a pen too navigate, they do calls as wlel but they're all like $1200!

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
They are called smartphones and they are PDA's as well...

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
Anything with Windows on it is goooooood. Proud fanboy here. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)