Wanna take part in a Medical Experiment? (1 Viewer)

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
Help medical researchers! We need you!

Are you...
1. Male?
2. 18-40 years old?
3. A non-smoker?

If you've said yes to all three, then you are eligible to take part in a medical study currently being conducted by my friend on the
effects of antioxidants on blood pressure.

The study involves two arms (no, not those kinds of arms).
Each arm takes about 10 days, during which you'll come into the clinic about five or six times to:
- Have your blood pressure taken.
- Have a small blood sample taken.
There is a brief "washout" period between the arms, so in total it runs over about a month or more.

During the trial, you will be taking a number of drugs:
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin C
- Allopurinol (an anti-gout medication), and
- Prednisolone (a steroid).

Unless you have a known allergy to these compounds, they are generally very safe. A screening test will be conducted in all subjects to make sure you aren't at risk of an adverse event occurring.

The clinic is at St George Hospital, Kogarah, so if you're in the area it'll probably be much more convenient for you.

Oh, and by the way, if you finish the two arms, you get paid $500. Yep.

If interested, please leave me a private message or an email at yaewon86@hotmail.com, even if you are just interested. We won't pressure you to participate, but volunteers are muchly appreciated. Hope to hear from you soon!

---
(btw, alvin, no allopurinol jokes ok? Hehe.)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
awwww goddammit.. i didnt even have a CHANCE!!!... *sigh*allopurinol

Jaded Member
HSC
mervvyn said:
heheh, is this noog's ILP? thought about doing it but was too busy with medshow...
Nope, but there are a fair few projects running up at WW.
Either way, I'd encourage all med students to take part in a project. For one thing, you'll all have to do research work at some point and it's a bit of a preview of what's involved. It may also be worthwhile gaining insights from the experimentee's point of view (fasting glucose = ick).
And of course, you get to meet and help out other med students =)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Beats getting money from doing Phase 1 trials eh? :p

inasero

Reborn
HSC
lol how ironic by giving pred and allopurinol you might actually induce gout

Jaded Member
HSC
Pred does not induce gout.

Yep, allopurinol may trigger a gouty attack. This is due to the reduction in urate levels (which is ironic because it is the high urate levels that are the cause of gout). This is why it is recommended practice to cover the introduction of hypouricaemic therapy with prophylactic therapy using an antiinflammatory such as low dose colchicine.

*However* the likelihood of allopurinol triggering gout is very very very low in the healthy population. It is only significant IF your urate levels are too high in the first place. And unless you have some myeloproliferative disease, or if you're a transplant patient, or have one of a range of very rare genetic disorders of purine metabolism, you are not likely to have elevated serum urate levels.

hsoy711

HSC
Phase I clinical trials at POW pay about $6000 for some trials.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
true that
i'd love to help if not for the fact that I'm not in Sydney atm...good luck to your friend though!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)