Walking vs Running, shedding bodyfat (1 Viewer)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Yes, interval training sheds bodyfat. Better than LSD (Long Slow Distance) training. Fuck, this is the kind of thing you could have learned REALLY easily for yourself with 10 minutes of google work.
yea im usually a google person, but this way i get ppl's personal experiences.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I powerwalk, largely because it's better on the knees and like you I can't really run for more than a minute tops without dying. I dropped from 72kg to 60kg a few years ago by altering diet and powerwalking, which is surprisingly hard to keep up for long periods of time. I usually do it for 40mins every afternoon if I can (hard to keep up with as of late!).
Run properly and it's much much better for your knees... e.g. front foot not heel strike (POSE running, natural running, etc)

HSC
walking won't do much for your weight. whereas running does cause it makes you tired.

calories intake - burned calories through exercise = calorie deficet? or calorie surplus?

calorie deficet will lead to you losing weight.

HSC
If you really really can't jog (like me) maybe start by walking up steep hills so that you get your lungs and heart used to the exercise. Then it might be easier for you to go jogging after a few weeks of this?

yeah_boy

HSC
Whatever is the toughest and gets your heart pounding, which I assume is running as opposed to walking. Run as fast as you can for as long as you can.. then walk.. then do it again..

HalcyonSky

HSC
alot of people will argue for walking seen the idea is that at a lower intensity the body will use a less efficient fuel as energy, ie fat, as opposed to tapping into carbs

but the bottom line is to lose fat you need to work your ass off, maintain a strict diet, and do both consistently.. if either of these things are lacking you'll see little change

you said you cant keep a jogging pace for more than 5 mins, which is pretty standard for anyone who hasnt done any cardio for quite some time.. 40 minutes of solid walking will probably be better for you to start off with (boring as fuck, if you have access to a pool or enjoy cycling or something, do that instead), then as you get fitter you can move up to higher intensity training

kent66

HSC
N/A
Here is one really good article which definitely will clear some air for you...

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
What does this mean? Land on the front half of your foot when running?
Google/youtube pose running for demos/explannations because I am by no means an expert. But basically yes it involves landing on the balls of your foot (fleshy bit between your toes and arch) - some people call this midfoot running for some reason...

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Correct. This lets the shock of impact be absorbed where it's supposed to be, the arch of your foot, rather than your heels/knees. Our proper stride for both walking and running is supposed to be toe-heel, and if you walk/run barefoot long enough, you'll find you naturally revert to this stride (it's wearing shoes with chunky heels that force our feet to go heel-toe).

Vaeth

HSC
I took up long distance walking a year ago, lost 3 kilos in 2 months (lol I know, minimal) I'm already in a perfect weight, but I wanted to test the theory, so I took up long distance Running in january this year. I lost 4 kilos in about 5 weeks.
-I did endurance running that time, which pushed my body for a prolonged time, burning more fat. when I got used to that, I cranked it up. so on and so forth.
The more intense the physical activity is, the more your muscles will work, using more stores of fat to fuel the body. simply walking does very little if youre not pushing your muscles at all.

If you feel fine and still relaxed at the end of the walk, you havent done enough.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
ive been gyming for about 6 months and have gained a fair bit of muscle. At the same time ive gained fat. It's not as if ive had abs before but ive started to get a bit of a belly. and a fatter neck. (6"1' / 85kg)

So im trying to get rid of this fat, but i kno its scientifically not possible to gain muscle while losing fat. From another forum, the best way to lose fat and minimize muscle loss from cardio is to keep 6 regular meals, lower carbs, lift heavy & increase protein and cardio.

Any other hints?

Oliver04

HSC
ive been gyming for about 6 months and have gained a fair bit of muscle. At the same time ive gained fat. It's not as if ive had abs before but ive started to get a bit of a belly. and a fatter neck. (6"1' / 85kg)

So im trying to get rid of this fat, but i kno its scientifically not possible to gain muscle while losing fat. From another forum, the best way to lose fat and minimize muscle loss from cardio is to keep 6 regular meals, lower carbs, lift heavy & increase protein and cardio.

Any other hints?
you're pretty much on the right tack, its just calories in/calories out.

also you have to make a decision between being ripped and being huge - nobody not on steroids is both.

Dream-Theater

HSC
Sprinting, or running for under 3 minutes will be good for burning sugar. After that your body goes into burning carbohydrates and fats.

artist91

HSC
omie you should build up with intervals. there is this program on the net called couch to 5k which builds you up over 10 weeks or something from walking to running 5km non-stop. i haven't done it but my friend who isn't an athlete at all did and she said it was good.

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC
godammit, i know all this its just i dont have the motivation lol

srsly, if i could trade knowledge for willpower, then id be set

pman

Banned
HSC
If you can't run for a long time, you don't need to burn fat but rather increase VO2 max, decrease resting heart rate, that kind of thing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)