Walking the Boundaries. Good text. this is part of my text file (1 Viewer)

erin_tonkin

HSC
Walking The Boundaries
Jackie French Prose Fiction
Description and Relationship of text of own choosing to Area of Study:
Walking the Boundaries is about a boy called Martin who's great grandfather invites him to the family farm. He wants Martin to take over the farm when he dies. In order to do this Martin must walk the boundaries of the farm. He thinks it is an easy task and wants to sell the property and spend it on material things that he thinks matter when his grandfather dies. As he embarks on his journey around the boundary he goes back in time and meets his great grandmother, an aboriginal boy Wullamudulla and a diprotodon who are also walking their boundaries and learns of the importance of keeping the farm. He also learns about the more important things in life like friendship and love. He learns that the things he wanted before weren't the things that he really wanted at all. Martin realizes that he should look after the land that he has been given and that so much land has been ruined by people and that he had to save it not just for his friends from the past but for his children and all the people to come. It is relevant as an AOS text because as he moves around the boundary and through time the responder thinks about their own experiences with nature and how we are destroying it. The text challenges the responder to appreciate nature and to understand its importance throughout time by describing the landscape that is traveled through in the text as the responder grows to love it like it were a character. It also teaches the responder the value of friendship and that enormous gaps in time and language can be breached as the characters journey together to achieve the goal of successfully walking their boundaries.

Text Technique to position the responder to consider Physical Journeys:
In Walking the Boundaries Martin thinks that his journey will be very easy "It seems so simple.. I mean all this just for going for a walk..." The responder is positioned to think in the same way. As the story progresses however both Martin and the responder find out that often journeys are not as they seem as Martins entire view on what is important in his life and of the farm is changed by his experiences on his journey. He meets three others making the same journey and their learning is reciprocal as they each discover more about their land and how they should protect it. The characters he meets all have play roles in the history of the farm. They each see problems from their own times that they can fix to preserve the land. Problems they only realize are there because of the journey they take. Martin sets out on a journey which he thinks is just to mark his territory but in the end his territory marks him "This isn't my place or yours..were just caretakers" "Im part of this place now."
Walking the Boundaries uses a map to show Martins journey and to also emphasize the journey aspect of the text It is in the style of an Aboriginal painting and has labeled all the major events that Martin and in turn his companions encounter. "Gorge", "Shelter from fire" and "giant python".
Relationship of text of own choosing to Skryznecki:
Walking the Boundaries relates to the Skryznecki poem "A Drive in the Country". This poem is about Peter Skryznecki's journey into the country where he comes across many things of nature. "Wild ducks moving away", "leaves bent their ears to the ground", "the soft call of swallows" He uses personification to make the environment seem alive and to make it a character in the poem. This relates to Walking the Boundaries in that it uses nature and a journey through nature in which to be a vessel of intellectual and emotional extension. Skryznecki's poem is a metaphor for life which comments on journeys saying that the journey taker can never go back once one path has been chosen and also that the path has impetus. "And still I kept looking back to the path". Martin in Walking the Boundaries goes on a journey which has impetus. He must either walk the boundary or face defeat and turn back but he must do either one and they each will end with different consequence. Each text challenges the assumption of journeys that the environment around you affects the journey using the environment as a pivotal element of the story. "friends and teachers don't always have to be human. Boundaries aren't always drawn on a map" and "a chain and a rope...and i thought of a gallows"
It also relates to Postcard as both texts talk about inter-generational journeys. Walking the boundaries of the journey that each caretaker of the land must take and Postcard of the journey his parents took and that has reverberations for him. "Your dad came...he didn't make it though" "I never knew you except in the third person" Both journeys are vessels for growing up. The two journey makers are compelled to learn to love the land in which their history lies. Skryznecki begins resistantly to his past as does Martin "I repeat I never knew you, let me be" and "It seemed a lot of fuss about nothing" but they learn that they cannot argue with fate and that they are destined to make this journey. "We will meet before you die" and "he only knew he didn't want to let it go." Both texts show a complete change in attitude towards the journey.

Relationship of text of own choosing to One Area of Study stimulus texts:
Walking the Boundaries relates to text 4 Journey to the interior by Margaret Atwood. It talks about a journey into the unknown. "the lack of reliable charts", "a compass is useless", "many have been here but only some have returned safely" The journey of the character in Journey to the interior and Walking the Boundaries is very similar. JttI "the hills... trees grow spindly...roots in swamps...your shoe among the brambles" and WtB "Martin admired his Reeboks...a deep swimming hole...casurinas clung to the rocky edges" Physically the journey is very similar but they also both contain elements of danger in the journey and challenges the thought that the journey will be easy. Both journeyers come across obstacles and there is the common obstacle is getting lost in the landscape. In JttI the journeyer thinks that they are mad as does Martin when he meets people on his journey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)