• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Walking INTO lectures... (1 Viewer)

HSC
so they mark rolls in tutes right?

umm..so is it just like the lecturer calls out a person's name, and that person responders with here/present/etc

cxsos its possibl that u just dont say anything and nobody notices right?
the ones that i really want to walk into only have 58 people so yeah...

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
they mark the roll in tutes - they normal hand out a sheet of paper and you plop your name on it.

sometimes lecturers will call out ppls names in lectures to remind them to pick up assessments or to remind them that they haven't received them yet.

I haven't had any lectures of about 50 people so I wouldn't know about small lecture sizes.

edit: ohhhh right you got me confused thinking you were talking about lectures cos you said lecturer.

I unfortunately haven't had a lecturer as a tutor at uni. They are mostly post grad students/honour students that run the tutes.

They could mark by roll or sheet of paper but if you rock up to a tute chances are they will notice you as a new comer and ask you questions at the end.

Just use a fake name and don't rock up again because they will eventually put your attendance in the system and will see you arent enrolled.

Last edited:

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
You could easily not be noticed in a tute/lecture of 50 people, not a problem at all.

HSC
lol..i have a feeling the guy above is being sarcastic...

but hey jaundice..thanks for that!
one more..

is it just one sheet of paper they hand around? cos you could just pass it
on to the next person without writing your name on it couldnt you?

and...does the lecturer/tutor do a head count after the names are all in or anythng liek that?
cos it'd be highly embarassing if they caught you out would it not? hahaha

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I wasn't joking.

Roll call is not taken in 99.9% of lectures. It is taken in like 0.1% of lectures as attendance is so low in those and the lecturer is anal about attendance rates.

A roll is taken in most tutes. Most tutors pass around a sheet of paper and you write student number/name on it. You could defiantly just pass it on/not write on it. Alternatively, just write a fake name if you wish.

Some tutors do the roll call by yelling out surnames. Just sit there and don't answer and you'd be fine.

HSC
what about head count? to check attendance matches with the amount of people who called out?

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
lol..i have a feeling the guy above is being sarcastic...

but hey jaundice..thanks for that!
one more..

is it just one sheet of paper they hand around? cos you could just pass it
on to the next person without writing your name on it couldnt you?

and...does the lecturer/tutor do a head count after the names are all in or anythng liek that?
cos it'd be highly embarassing if they caught you out would it not? hahaha
it really depends on your tutor. But yes you could easily do that. If it is a small tute of about 20 people or more you will probably get asked questions about your set readings and asked to engage in discussion. If you come back again to this tute, it is very likely that the tutor will start asking questions.

If you had tutes of about 50 people (if they even do that) then i doubt you'd have any problems.

In most lectures there are no roll calls. In some science courses attendance is complusory and the roll will be marked - eg handing paper around the room to put people's names on.

I have lectures like that.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Head count isn't normally done. If it is, just put a fake name on the sheet.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Ever stared at a person working at subway for 1 hour? It's exactly like that. The lecturer just keeps making sandwiches.
Must... not... rep...

I've done classes similar to WS. They're not bad, but I studied it more broadly, and from a different perspective. Don't know what straight WS would be like.

Gmac_0

HSC
...Can easily be done in most lectures though generally isn't so easy in tutorials but it depends on the tutes. Some tutes practically resemble a high school class in that there's only about 20 people, and everyone knows who everyone else is, the tutor calls out a roll, and the class basically does work out of a textbook or something the whole time, so it wouldn't be great to be in anyway. On the flipside some tutes (more likely an area like arts imo) can easily be crashed due to reasons such as a roll not being called, rather, people writing names down on a sheet, the fact that no real work happens and only discussion occurs (and/or large periods of awkward silence) and perhaps most importantly, that random people from other tutes just show up every week instead of goin to allocated tutes.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You could theoretically take an entire degree of subjects and not enroll at all. You just don't get the paper at the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)