wake up call please. (1 Viewer)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
someone talk me out of this.

i've retreated into serious denial mode and have convinced myself i'm just not going to rock up to the exams, and repeat year 12.

and as a conseuqnece i'm not studying. haven't studied. am not prepared.

NovaAesa

HSC
Hey, thats what happened on Home and Away last night. Maybe think about this: you should do your exams, and then if you really do bad consider repeating AFTERWARDS. You might surprise yourself and be able to get into the course that you want! There's not point in considering repeating until you've at least gone through to the end.

just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

samuel slack

HSC
A chick at my school did this. She dropped out about 2 weeks before the end of last term, and she would have gotten about a 70 UAI. Dude, just do the exams. Even if you completely bomb them you get your HSC, and you can worry about repeating afterwards... Just get stuck in, after the first one you'll realise they're just exams and theres nothing to worry about.

Cam-C

HSC
Found this article as a reference on the Boredofstudies wikipedia page.
thought it might help.
it basically says you don't have to do anything fantastic to get decent marks.
and you still have time to put in some effort.
two days before every exam is all you need.
have a look through this thread aswell
http://community.boredofstudies.org...c-exams.html?highlight=studying+just+prior+to

give it a go, do the best you can, if your not happy with your results or don't get the results you want, then yeah, do it again. but if u decide to do that now and don't go to your exams, when you may have still done alrite. then your just wasting a year. seems a bit pointless to me.

Students' raw scores seen as threat to HSC
By Matthew Thompson
March 12, 2005

The NSW Board of Studies has rejected a student's request for his raw Higher School Certificate exam results, saying unscaled marks could compromise the integrity of the marking program.

The federal Education Minister, Brendan Nelson, yesterday criticised the decision, saying that "as a matter of principle ... students do have the right to receive their own scores".

The board's decision to deny a freedom of information application from Bill Kanafani, 18, is despite six HSC students over the past 12 months being able to find out what markers awarded their efforts before the scaling process began - often revealing a massive increase to the raw results that appeared to make failure most unlikely.

When HSC results are released each December, students receive their scaled examination marks, their assessment marks, an average of the two, and a list of performance bands that they have fallen into for each subject.

There are six performance bands under the HSC introduced in 2001. Band 1 covers scaled marks ranging between zero and 49 per cent and includes work where "the student has achieved below the minimum standard expected".

The next five bands each cover 10 percentile points and climbing levels of academic performance.

The Board of Studies does not make public what level of raw marks will, after scaling, become borderline scores between bands.

In its rejection letter to Mr Kanafani, the board said granting him access to his raw score would "assist in the determination and then public disclosure" of what raw marks would land students in what bands.

"The disclosure of this information is contrary to the public interest," it said.

James King, 21, an HSC student from 2001 who administers the unofficial Bored of Studies website, was the first student of the new HSC to lodge a freedom of information application for his raw marks.

It took nine months and a visit to the Administrative Decisions Tribunal before he got his raw marks last March, and he was shocked by the difference from his final marks.

"I was expecting them to be a bit lower, but the raw marks were substantially lower," said Mr King, whose marks for English extension 1 leapt from 66 per cent to 92 per cent, and in advanced English jumped from 64 per cent to 84 per cent.

As others successfully lodged freedom of information applications and shared their results, Mr King said it appeared hard to fail the HSC and easy to do well.

It was revealed earlier this year that about 99 per cent of students passed last year's standard English exam.

Asked how many students of last year's HSC received raw marks below 50 per cent but landed in band 2 or above, the Board of Studies issued a statement saying "it is not possible, or relevant, to answer this question".

As part of the new HSC the Board of Studies distributes "Standards Packages" that give schools samples of work "typical of students at the borderlines". One sample essay from the 2001 advanced English paper is a 64-word response to a question with 40 minutes allocated to it.

Dr Nelson said: "I challenge anybody with an open mind who is literate to read this and then tell me with a straight face this is a minimum passing standard."'

source: SMH Website
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National...s-threat-to-HSC/2005/03/11/1110417692293.html

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Cam-C said:
"I was expecting them to be a bit lower, but the raw marks were substantially lower," said Mr King, whose marks for English extension 1 leapt from 66 per cent to 92 per cent, and in advanced English jumped from 64 per cent to 84 per cent.

As others successfully lodged freedom of information applications and shared their results, Mr King said it appeared hard to fail the HSC and easy to do well.
END OF STORY.

Pari you nut! Just keep going. :D

Veni, vidi, vici!

I came, i saw, i conquered!

LOL It motivated me :eek:

pretty.in.punk

Totally The Bomb...
HSC
Man i would love so much to be like "Hey! You know you can do it! Repeat Next Year! Blah Blah Blah", but to be honest with you, i can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind either!

The first thing you need to do to get yourself away from the mindset is allow your little freakout, accept your current position and then ease into study. Focus on something else, and my advice is to do what i did, because seriously, i came soooo close to just giving it all up too.

Put on your favourite CD, or go and sit somewhere you feel totally comfortable with a pen and paper. Write down your goals - not just your academic ones but personal ones too. This is meant to show you why you decided to stick it out this far to begin with. Do you want to go to uni? What course do you want to study? What career would you love most to have? Include all of this, and that way you're giving yourself some of that direction and motivation you had lost.

Once you've written your page of goals, write down a couple of your strengths and weaknesses. This page can be as messy or as creative as you like - it's for you, by you. You MUST stick this paper somewhere your bound to see it everyday (mine's next to my bed and on my mirror). Focus mostly on your strengths, because this page is going to serve as a constant reminder of what you CAN and WILL achieve.

Now that you've done that take about two hours or so to just organise your notes if you havent done it yet. All of this helps you ease into the idea of studying so much quicker. You can't expect to procrastinate and then BANG just like that your back on track with your studies...the key is shifting your focus and remembering that these exams dont in any way define you, they give an indication of your ability to perform under a REDICULOUSLY STRESSFUL situation. I mean, it's not exactly a small thing to ask someone to condense all of the knowledge you've accumulated in a subject in the space of a year into a 40 minute essay, or a three hour exam!

The last peice of advice i have is literally the thing that saved me most. I don't really study the same way most people do and i get bored easily. My biggest problems have to be time management and self-doubt which constantly plagues me when i try to study for these damn tests.

But...Here's what i did...

I did a practice exam from a previous year (2005) without having read through my notes. I wanted to see whether all of this doubt and procrastination was worth it. I sat down with just my pen and my past paper and began writing.

It's so weird to think that even though we put all of this emphasis on 'studying' we dont spend not nearly enough time putting it to use. You'll surprise yourself at how much you actually remember, even certain quotes will stick. After you finish your exam, no matter how well or how badly you did - it gives you an accurate indication on how you would have performed if you were made to sit the REAL test there and then.

Take a break and then GO THROUGH YOUR PAPER USING YOUR NOTES AS A GUIDE. Fill in things you wish you included, highlight points you were proud of and in a different colour highlight points you could have easily left out. Do this for all of your subjects. Do a practice paper without the help of notes or studying and see where your strengths and weaknesses are, make sure you do them as if they were the REAL thing.

The very next day, do the same test. You won't be making the same mistakes and you will have gotten yourself used to the idea of sitting the exams, hence lessening your nerves and preparing yourself for the real test.

Good Luck!

You CAN definately do it, but the important thing is remembering why and then applying your knowledge. Prove it to yourself and then go absolutely f*cking wild afterwards! There will be no better feeling than walking out of that exam hall and knowing you will never...EVER...have to go through the stress that was the HSC again!

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
pretty.in.punk said:
Man i would love so much to be like "Hey! You know you can do it! Repeat Next Year! Blah Blah Blah", but to be honest with you, i can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind either!

The first thing you need to do to get yourself away from the mindset is allow your little freakout, accept your current position and then ease into study. Focus on something else, and my advice is to do what i did, because seriously, i came soooo close to just giving it all up too.

Put on your favourite CD, or go and sit somewhere you feel totally comfortable with a pen and paper. Write down your goals - not just your academic ones but personal ones too. This is meant to show you why you decided to stick it out this far to begin with. Do you want to go to uni? What course do you want to study? What career would you love most to have? Include all of this, and that way you're giving yourself some of that direction and motivation you had lost.

Once you've written your page of goals, write down a couple of your strengths and weaknesses. This page can be as messy or as creative as you like - it's for you, by you. You MUST stick this paper somewhere your bound to see it everyday (mine's next to my bed and on my mirror). Focus mostly on your strengths, because this page is going to serve as a constant reminder of what you CAN and WILL achieve.

Now that you've done that take about two hours or so to just organise your notes if you havent done it yet. All of this helps you ease into the idea of studying so much quicker. You can't expect to procrastinate and then BANG just like that your back on track with your studies...the key is shifting your focus and remembering that these exams dont in any way define you, they give an indication of your ability to perform under a REDICULOUSLY STRESSFUL situation. I mean, it's not exactly a small thing to ask someone to condense all of the knowledge you've accumulated in a subject in the space of a year into a 40 minute essay, or a three hour exam!

The last peice of advice i have is literally the thing that saved me most. I don't really study the same way most people do and i get bored easily. My biggest problems have to be time management and self-doubt which constantly plagues me when i try to study for these damn tests.

But...Here's what i did...

I did a practice exam from a previous year (2005) without having read through my notes. I wanted to see whether all of this doubt and procrastination was worth it. I sat down with just my pen and my past paper and began writing.

It's so weird to think that even though we put all of this emphasis on 'studying' we dont spend not nearly enough time putting it to use. You'll surprise yourself at how much you actually remember, even certain quotes will stick. After you finish your exam, no matter how well or how badly you did - it gives you an accurate indication on how you would have performed if you were made to sit the REAL test there and then.

Take a break and then GO THROUGH YOUR PAPER USING YOUR NOTES AS A GUIDE. Fill in things you wish you included, highlight points you were proud of and in a different colour highlight points you could have easily left out. Do this for all of your subjects. Do a practice paper without the help of notes or studying and see where your strengths and weaknesses are, make sure you do them as if they were the REAL thing.

The very next day, do the same test. You won't be making the same mistakes and you will have gotten yourself used to the idea of sitting the exams, hence lessening your nerves and preparing yourself for the real test.

Good Luck!

You CAN definately do it, but the important thing is remembering why and then applying your knowledge. Prove it to yourself and then go absolutely f*cking wild afterwards! There will be no better feeling than walking out of that exam hall and knowing you will never...EVER...have to go through the stress that was the HSC again!
CBF. :D

Good Advice, I'm sure.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
You have put in a years worth of work and study to come all down to this. It's quite common to doubt yourself and how well you have prepared etc. You have come this far you might as well see it out, all of it will be over in a little over/under a month and your schooling is completed.

Plus repeating may seem like a good option now but how do you know you won't get to this stage again and have the same thoughts and reactions?

Just put everything into perspective - best of luck. :)

Sweety pie12

HSC
hey it might seem boring to study but i assure you even one hour is better then nothing, furthermore do it & be proud of yourself you'll be surprised at what you can do. Even if youre scared or lazy youre not the only one the thing is you gotta realise you only have like 3 weeks that pretty much shows for 12 years worth of school uhh so if you could do the 12 years why not the three weeks

historykidd

HSC
You want a wake up call? Judging from your profile and posts, I consulted my friend the DeathClock.

[FONT=ms sans serif, verdana][/FONT]Your Personal Day of Death
\
[FONT=ms sans serif, verdana] Sunday, September 11, 2039 [/FONT]
[FONT=ms sans serif, verdana] Seconds left to live...[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, verdana]
1,006,655,347​
[/FONT]

samuel slack

HSC
historykidd said:
You want a wake up call? Judging from your profile and posts, I consulted my friend the DeathClock.

Your Personal Day of Death
\
[FONT=ms sans serif, verdana] Sunday, September 11, 2039 [/FONT]
[FONT=ms sans serif, verdana] Seconds left to live...[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, verdana]
1,006,655,347​
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, verdana]
[/FONT]

You don't get a bigger wake-up call than that. The deathclock is god.

HSC
-pari- said:
someone talk me out of this.

i've retreated into serious denial mode and have convinced myself i'm just not going to rock up to the exams, and repeat year 12.

and as a conseuqnece i'm not studying. haven't studied. am not prepared.
Well, with spelling like that, I'd say repeat.

J/K.

You should have a go anyway. What do u want to do when u leave school? Do u need high marks? Or would you be better off getting your HSC this year, and using next year to get relevant work experience?

Just curious, what were your Trials' marks?

historykidd

HSC
Holy shit I just realised Pari was dying September the 11th. Seems like a jewish conspiracy / government cover up to me.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
hahahaha ^

cheers guys

i'm back in groove. so i haven't studied for two weeks....i'm guessing something is better than nothing :)

HSC
13 posts and you've already changed your mind?

I'd hate to see someone offer you drugs or something!

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Don't be ridiculous. If anything, I'll sit those bloody exams just to spite people. Sit them and do moderately well. Come out and rub it into the people who studied a lot, tell them you did nothing and still got into uni.

Sure beats repeating yr12, doing the same JOURNEY all over with the same OBSTACLES.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)