Wait a year or straight on to Uni after HSC? (1 Viewer)

HSC
My dad says that I should go straight on to uni next year and not leave a year, because apparently i will be 'bumming' around doing nothing and i wont get motivation to go back to routine. I plan on getting a full time job and working all of next year and going to uni after that year. I'd like to hear what people have to say about taking a year off, and if you did how did you find the transition back to a routine of study.........

Thanks....

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Having gone straight to uni from school, i regret not taking the year off. You are still burnt out from the HSC and need some time to chill and sort your head out (obviously working). All the people I know who have taken the year off are loving it and haven't looked back. I sorta think it should be compulsary to take the year off.

great_gregory

I'm really just OK...
HSC
Well I never studied at school, so I didn't have to worry about losing that skill when I took my year off. :D

I say go for it, and take the time off. You won't be bumming around if you find a job, and I hear that if you go straight to uni you can get burned out from just so much school/uni in a row. Just think... if you get your degree, are you going to take time off then? Probably not... you'd go straight into the work force. This is the time to take time off. Enjoy it. :D

HSC
N/A
well if u defer, the uai cutoff for ur course will likely increase the following yr cause u know how cutoffs are skyrocketing, and there'll be no guarantee that u'll get into ur course...

so unless ur uai is well above ur course cutoff its probably wiser to accept the offer and study parttime

mack

Banned
HSC
I think 3 months is plenty of holidays anyway, but if you seriously cannot bring yourself to study again after 3 months id recommend a year off to work, if you sit around the house doing nothing for a year you are bound to go mad, no matter how tempting the propsect of sitting on your arse for a year is.....

doe

HSC
N/A
what are you thinking of doing?

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I think it depends on how motivated you are. Many people take a year off with lots of good intentions, but just end up lounging around their house, and when time comes to enrol in UNI, they can no longer be bothered. Then in 10 years they regret it, so in their case, it probably wasn't the best way to go. But if you make very definite plans and can stick to it, then I think taking a year off to earn some money and relax is a great idea.

MuSaRuRWa

i got a friend who took a yr off n went to england bumming, came back and is now one of the top students in the course. so, yea, if its gonna help get u motivated, go for it

doe

HSC
N/A
id enrol and get a place and then defer. it depends on the people. both my older sisters went to uni straight from high school and did really well. i went straight from high school when i shouldve taken some time to "grow up". if youre not sure what you want, keep your options open by getting a place at uni, then take some time off.

it took me three years to finish first year, first i was fulltime, then i was parttime, then i got a fulltime job and went to uni parttime (which sucks, you have zero spare time), then fulltime uni again, all with mediocre results. then i took a year off and since coming back ive done pretty well and am much more motivated towards study and stuff. i doubt i wouldve come back if i hadnt already enrolled though, thats why i reckon you should get a place and defer.

your parents are probably supporting you or making you pay minimal rent. believe me the support stops pretty quick once you're no longer at school/uni. if they're willing to support you through uni its not to be sneezed at. your dad probably just wants you out of the house. mine wants me out, but hes keeping his mouth shut till i finish :D

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I think it depends on what you are going to do in your year off. If you are going to work or travel, and do something worthwhile, then yeah it's not such a bad thing.

If you are going to bum around doing nothing (like a lot of people I know who deferred) then why waste a year of your life like that?

Basically you need to decide. For me, moving to the city was all exciting and stuff so i was eager to go. Others who aren't leaving home are eager to travel. Some people need to work to earn enough money to attend uni in a different place. Basically we can't decide for you, it depends on what you want and what your needs are.

At first I regretted not taking a year off, because I have to work pretty hard to afford Sydney, but now it doesn't bother me because I have a lot of holidays and stuff and I am planning to try and do some travel in them and stuff like that.

Last edited:

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
its true youre still burnt out from the hsc, but at the same time i think you may as well just get it over with a year quicker. things become much clearer after you start uni and get more of an idea of what you want to do with your life - at least they did for me. i look at deferring as sort of putting off achieving that clear idea of what your goals are etc!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I think that uni also made me a lot more mature, and I agree spin spin, it gives you a clearer idea of what you want in life... I wasn't sure if I wanted to be a journalist when I started my course, now I have a clearer idea of what I want to achieve.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Burnt out from year 12? Haha, I never worked hard enough to get burnt out. That four month break (three for me, since I had to bridge chemistry) was plenty of time to get over school and remotivate for uni, but since then I've worked harder than ever before. Uni has forced me to see that I must DO something to get what I want, and now I'm actually achieving something. Yay.

mack

Banned
HSC
Uni is nothing like school anyway. My cousin does law at usyd and only goes a few days a week and has the rest of the week off. This is also with the massive end of year holidays you get and the semester break. I know plenty of people at uni and theyve said they are amazed at how easy going it is.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
U DON'T GET BURNT OUT FROM THE HSC!!... dats a load of bull shit... ur NOT burnt out from the HSC ..... its more like... u've gone lazier because of the longggg holidays u've been on...and ur brain has turned into mush due to the lack of use... people just use the "im burnt out from the hsc" excuse because they're having a hard time getting their brain back into normal study functioning mode! NOT BECAUSE THEY'VE BEEN BURNT OUT!! but because they havn't been using their brain for studying for a while..... also theres other factors like UNI'S A LOT FREAKING HARDER THEN THE HSC buddy! its like fitting one HSC subject into 3 months :)....

burnt out from the HSC my bumm!! hehehe...

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I guess it depends on the course you want to do. I mean if its only a 3 year course and if your only 17 when you start, if you take a year off, you can still finish and only be 21. I guess thats age wise, time wise same thing. I guess if your course is 4 or 5 years, or even 6 then it depends if you want to wait longer in life to obtain a degree.

great_gregory

I'm really just OK...
HSC
Originally posted by clairegirl
lol i dont think dat made sense... hahaha mehhh whatevs! :d
Spelling "that" with a "d" doesn't make any sense either, but you did that too... :rolleyes:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i came to uni straight from school, and i dont regret it for a single second, im glad i did.
however i realise many people need the time off and all that. if you feel you need it, then take it, coz i met heaps of people that came to uni from school, wishing the had taken a year off, and have since left uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)