• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Wag the dog (1 Viewer)

L

Liz N

Is anyone doing the movie called Wag the Dog for their related text? Have this text been used as a prescribed text in the past HSC?

Uncouth

HSC
N/A
I've used it for representation and text, out of my own choosing. I don't think it was prescribed (last year).

Regardless, it's a great text.

malkin86

HSC
My older brother used it in his HSC in '98-'99, I don't know if it was set or supp. mat., though.

L

Liz N

Are there any notes based on this text - how the truth is manipulated?

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
cud u put in some websites please??
i spent 2 hrs yesterday looking for stuff on it online.. on my stupid dial up connection!!
i am planning to use it as my related text.. and any help with it would be appriciated.
thanks!!

leikWHOA

We watched it in class, our teacher told us we should look at using it for a related text because it fits really well with Frontline. I found that there's a lot of links between Wag the Dog and Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 as well. I don't any good websites (and am also on dialup ;) ) but I did take some very brief notes in class..

Opening scene:
- Hidden cameras and lots of security denote secrecy. Sets us up for the rest of the film.
- Darkness, spotlights, high contract lighting.

Issues:
- Irresponsibility of the media
- Exaggeration, distortion, fabrication of the truth
- Underestimation of the public
- Importance of image

Quotes:
- "What difference does it make if it's true, it's a story, and if it breaks they're going to have to run with it." Media's disrespect for the truth. Also, underestimation of the public which would be good to tie in with the Frontline ep "We Aint Got Dames".
- "...and I don't know how these rumours get started." <-- Irony?
- "We're not going to have a war. We're going to have the appearence of a war."

I know that's really brief, but I wasn't *exactly* paying attention to the movie, cuz I don't intend to use it as a text. But if you need anymore info on it, I'll try to rack my brain ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)