w00t! Eutrophication (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
The only procedure I knew was the molybdate one. The question asked how suitable it was didn't it? I think I wrote some crap about it being not that suitable because the test needed to be carried out in a laboratory and couldn't be carried out in the field... thus water samples would have to be taken back to the lab and the result couldn't be found on the spot. Dunno if it was right, but it filled up the lines! At least I knew what eutrophication was, a lot of people at my school didn't seem to have a clue.

ruella

i completely fluked the right answer! well...for half of it...i completely guessed that it was algal bloom...and i used a BOD test. ~shrugs~ lol, that's not right is it?

woohoo

i read something about this the day before & just reproduced it somehow.
somethign like.. with PO4, u add ammonium molybdate and then use colorimetric method & measure absorption of light & with NO3, reduce nitrate to nitrite in cadmium & do ur colorimetric stuff. i said it was reliable cuz u could get the concentrations down to .01ppm... anyone else have anything similar??? hope so

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
how good was this question omg... conquering chemistry, your my hero, it had a whole section on this, essentially i spoke about tests such as BOD, OD, N:p, turbidity, colorimetry, gravimetric analysis through precipitation of the sulphate/phosphate ions, and i think i mentioned AAS just to bullshit a bit...
thank god for conq chem :p

tegs

yeah, so many people in our class didn't know. I studied it this morning, so yeah that was good. Other than that, had to think back to year 10. Yuck!!!
I was quickly going through our text book this morning and realised our teacher skipped the entire unit on water testing and treatment. Gives us a great hope in hell doesn't it?
Did anyone talk about the winkler method? Lol, what a great name!!! :D

Last edited:

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
i have a feeling that i missed a lot of points here...but hey i was lucky. at about 5pm yesterday i realised i hadn't even looked at that dot point and spent about 1/2 hour looking at it.
the only thing i mentioned differently was that the precipitation of ammionium phosphate stuff was not reliable because of the solubility of phosphate (equilibrium to the left) therefore colorimetric method used.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I crapped on about turbidity tests,

They didn't really ask you to tell them what eutrophication is.

I knew it anyway, pretty easy. But I screwed all the maths questions.

I can't balance equations >_<

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner

I can't balance equations >_<

Join the club. It takes me so long to figure it out lol... I would have finished the test half an hour early if I didn't have to balance equations!

enemy

I totally agree with you Skunk,I said everything and also the ratio for N and P which is suitable for unpolluted waterways.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
The test should be precipitation tests. At least that's what i put. AAS would have been inappropriate because it only test Cations, not anions.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah i think it was out of 4
i dont think they use aas to test for eutrophication, well i haven't read that anywhere anyway

conquering has a section on it

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i actually said there are greater chances for inaccuracies(hence decreased validity) and lower reliablity associated with gravimetric analysis, despite its simplicity... but yeah who cares now its finished, cant change it anyway(unless you can break in2 BoS or sumthing) :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)