• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

VSU Rally vs. Tuts and Lectures? (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Katy's backer is Rose Jackson, daughter of Media Watch host Liz Jackson, and current SRC President. She's also USYD's leading expert on what we call "Identity Politics".

My Vibewire.net article, "Men are from Earth, Women are from Earth" discusses Identity Politics and how people like Rose use it - http://www.vibewire.net/2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8873&Itemid=71.

During my 2004 campaign for University of Sydney SRC President, I promoted the idea of a gender-neutral Gender Issues and Equal Opportunity Officer to replace our Women's Officer, who would be in a position to deal with the unique issues facing both men and women of different social and economic backgrounds. Central to this idea was an acknowledgement that women's rights equal human rights, but so do men's rights, and for our Women's Office to deny the needs of men in society smacks of reverse discrimination of the worst kind. Not surprisingly, this proposal did not go down so well with my opponents.

Women's Officers actively promote the one-sided view of feminist politics, encouraging their "sisters" in our student body to make a stand against the "evil" men out to oppress women. Their main role is to promote the rights of women - this is all well and good - but they do so by attacking the rights of men. Something women's officers across the country have always failed to realise is that in promoting the rights and achievements of women, they do not need to downplay the rights and achievements of men.

Sometimes I wonder exactly how much of the work of these Women's Officers is motivated by a true desire to achieve equal rights between the genders, and how much of it is motivated by misandrist attitude. It sometimes seems to me that the entire premise behind these Women's Officers is to relegate men to second-class status. These women are betraying the ideals of feminism for social equality and are using their positions to spread the hatred of men as a gender.

Perhaps this is "revenge" for hundreds of years of so-called "oppression". Noted feminists have always thought so: "I want to see a man beaten to a bloody pulp with a high-heel shoved in his mouth, like an apple in the mouth of a pig." - Andrea Dworkin, Ice and Fire.

Then again, none of us were around hundreds of years ago, so why should I, as a 19-year-old Asian male, pay "compensation" through disadvantage for something a bunch of white men did long before any of us were born?

It doesn't end there though. Women's Officers don't just deny men's rights; they're also blind to the values and beliefs of the many women they supposedly represent. Our Women's Officers seem to believe that all women have a shared political interest that all women must support. Identity politics demands that all women should support the Women's Office, and it is on this basis that our student funds continue to maintain this office. At the 2004 University of Sydney Student Representative Council election, one candidate in particular was very vocal about her sole credential to lead - that she's the only woman running, and that people should vote for her for no other reason than the fact that her two opponents were both male. So it doesn't matter about the rest of her policy, as long as we vote for her because she (I assume) doesn't have a Y chromosome. Her party had conveniently overlooked the fact that there were plenty of women on campus who disagreed with their female-friendly policy, so not only had they ignored men's issues, they ignored women's.

Last edited:

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
wikiwiki said:
Simon Fontana is sounding good.

Angus seems to be suggesting that voting for him will bring about world peace.

Katy is a sexist - "vote for me, im a woman" just doesnt it cut it.

Doug smells funny.

The other candidates havent made themselves known to me.
Marc is pretty nice.

as for fontana, i saw a guy wearing a fontana t shirt yesterday, walking from redfern to uni... he was an absolute mentalcase, kept looking around at everyone like they were planning to kill him. was walking about 100km an hour. i thought of you, phanatical

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I've been told from someone who went to school with Angus (not campaigning or supportive of Simon either) that 90% of people who know Angus reckon he's a complete tool, and all he does so far as political views go is regurgitate what his teachers in HS have fed him. I want to know why people are voting for more wasted money on a string of protests that will acheive absolutely nothing, I feel he's been preying on the naive who don't realise the Liberals are going to pass the legislation anyway, as well as abusing the 28th April rally as a chance for some free advertising.

Oh and Techie were you handing out Angus pamphlets near Carslaw at around 12?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I reckon the following will get up:
Angus, he's got most of the hard left behind him.
Simon, because he's offering more realistic solutions, as well as appealing to those on campus who support VSU without putting off the pro USUers too much.
Jackon, he's got the engineering vote sewn up.
Lauren.
And then the other 2 are up between Katy, Marc, and Doug imo, because the other candidates have either done very little campaigning (James, Stephen, Ben, Patrick) or don't really have a target audience as such (Jon Kok)

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I reckon the following will get up:
Angus, he's got most of the hard left behind him.
Simon, because he's offering more realistic solutions, as well as appealing to those on campus who support VSU without putting off the pro USUers too much.
Jackon, he's got the engineering vote sewn up.
Lauren.
And then the other 2 are up between Katy, Marc, and Doug imo, because the other candidates have either done very little campaigning (James, Stephen, Ben, Patrick) or don't really have a target audience as such (Jon Kok)
Jon has a fair bit of support from a fair few groups, including from withinside Engineering and given the low number of voters I would say he has a good chance (and he is a nice guy, who respects Engineering and has stated he wouldn't lecture bash Engineering for reasons).

Angus and Katy are both Labor Left, apparently Angus' campaign is exactly the same as the main Labor Left's candidate last year. So that covers the regurgitation bit.

Lauren Im not so sure about getting on her campaign doesn't seem to exist much at all.

jpr333

HSC
Phanatical said:
Simon Fontana is going to make an absolutely fantastic Board member.
Yes but will he make a difference...
His ideas are just that ideas.

PS Great article

PPS Can someone give me a quick summary of how the council board is strutured as well as the SRC, how they interact, who determines the budget and who/how changes are implemented, I'm just an ignorant 1st year student.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The board has 6 members elected each year, for a term of 2 years. At the start of their second year on the board a member can go for one of the (4 from memory) executive positions which are voted on by current board members.

Oh on the way home I saw a poster for Angus, it said "REAL students services, a Centrelink on campus". Firstly I'd like to see the validity of such a facility justified, if it's going to be on the basis of many students getting financial support through Centrelink, I'm getting Youth Allowance at present, it is paid directly into my bank account, and I haven't had to visit Centrelink since it was originally approved. I'd also like to ask any Angus supporters just how he plans to implement such an idea, when it's been investigated already, and there's actually a clause that forbids the placement of such a facility on campus. Now this leaves us with two possible options:
1. Angus knows about this, and he is therefore a liar.
2. Angus doesn't know about this, and he is therefore incompetent, because one should throughly investigate their own policies, because once he gets onto the board a lack of foresight could lead to catastrophic consequences.
I'll let you be the judge of just how "REAL" Angus' promises are, because to me it would appear that he's full of shit.

Plebeian

withoutaface said:
Oh and Techie were you handing out Angus pamphlets near Carslaw at around 12?
They were anti-VSU pamphlets, but yes. I saw you, but for obvious reasons didn't try to give you one :)

withoutaface said:
I'd also like to ask any Angus supporters just how he plans to implement such an idea, when it's been investigated already, and there's actually a clause that forbids the placement of such a facility on campus.
What is the clause in? Union rules can be changed.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Techie said:
They were anti-VSU pamphlets, but yes. I saw you, but for obvious reasons didn't try to give you one :)

What is the clause in? Union rules can be changed.
It's a Centrelink rule, not a union one.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Now this leaves us with two possible options:
1. Angus knows about this, and he is therefore a liar.
2. Angus doesn't know about this, and he is therefore incompetent, because one should throughly investigate their own policies, because once he gets onto the board a lack of foresight could lead to catastrophic consequences.
I'll let you be the judge of just how "REAL" Angus' promises are, because to me it would appear that he's full of shit.
Or the fact that all the posters are just copies of last years campaign.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Xayma said:
Or the fact that all the posters are just copies of last years campaign.
Haha as I said before, he regurgitates ideas, in this case probably Janda's.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
farkkkk

angus is teh hottest mang.

waf = turning into NTB. remove that filth from your sig.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
YOu know the weird thing about VSU ...i go to cumberland and the only thing around are lil pamphlets you can voluntarily pick up. Noone came and talked to us, i didnt even know there was a rally on.... it doesnt seem a big deal from where i am....although it would be a shame to lose csg which caters for our campus only ...i'd be happy to pay for that and get rid of having to pay fo USU..i simply dont use their facilities. I use the ones on our campus minus the gym but thats okay cos its for everyone.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The Cumberland campus student model is one that I have been studying, along with the Sydney College of the Arts model in relation to the Conservatorium of Music. I strongly believe that students at our campus would be far better off if the Conservatorium had its own union, or joined with the Student Association of the Sydney College of the Arts (SASCA).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)