VSU Emergency Rally - Tommorow (Wed 16th) (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
So was the rally a dismal failure?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Slide Rule said:
So was the rally a dismal failure?
I did my best to lower morale by giving the group the finger as i walked past:)

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
Its the rain damit, i think its a sign......

so like, do you guys think that the people who were talking about how clubs and societies and wentworth bar is gona close down cos of VSU? i mean, cant they raise the membership fees up abit to survive, (cos they do sound really exagerrated,im sure it wont be the THE END of UNI social life)

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
so what is exactly happening? has the legislation officially passed? I tried to read the SMH article about but just got more confused. It doesnt help that those ppl constantly standing up to rant (whether for a good reason or not) before every lecture.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I will still pay my fees if I'm able to afford them. I think what will happen is that for one year hardly anyone will pay, and if they feel barred from everything, union membership will go up a fair amount the next.

Plebeian

Sarah168 said:
so what is exactly happening? has the legislation officially passed? I tried to read the SMH article about but just got more confused. It doesnt help that those ppl constantly standing up to rant (whether for a good reason or not) before every lecture.
Seeing as Asqy didn't really answer the question:

VSU legislation was introduced to the House of Reps on Wednesday for its first reading. If my understanding is correct, there will be a couple more readings before it passes to the Senate, and the Government is likely to wait until July 1st when they get their Senate majority before moving it to the upper house. At this stage it is likely to be passed :( despite the fact that all organised bodies in the higher education sector except the Coalition are against it.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
40000 students go to sydney uni
how many rallied, maybe 2%

why should i person who pays their own uni fees, buys their own books and only wants to learn and get a degree from uni, have to fork out an extra $600 a year to subsidise those who make use of the union.

who funded the union rally protest? - did they use money out of their pockets to make the leaflets, shirts, badges, stickers...

i am totally for the voluntary admission

Plebeian

gordo said:
why should i person who pays their own uni fees, buys their own books and only wants to learn and get a degree from uni, have to fork out an extra $600 a year to subsidise those who make use of the union.
Because that person really does use the union, they just don't think about it until it's gone.

The list of essential services funded by union fees which would disappear under VSU is too extensive to recount again, I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere.

Without any student activism organised by the union, the Government is free to increase HECS or abolish the system altogether and move everything to full-fee. Of course there have been HECS increases in the past but the reality is that they would've been more drastic had there not been widespread student protest.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
Yes why should I! Why should I care for anyone but myself! My interests overide everone elses! I am the center of the universe! I will not pay a single cent of my own money to help anyone else!

Fuck everyone except meeeeeeee meeeeeeee meeeeeeeeeeeee!

Isn't 'me first fuck you' society just wonderful?

-------------

You pay council rates for services you don't used. Why don't you get on the bandwagon and start complaining about councils infringing on your freedom of association.

You pay GST which goes to the states to fund services which everyone does not use. Start complaining.
Or how bout, on the flipside, you stop expecting people who don't want to associate with the uni and it's social life etc to pay for your fun, because you're starting to sound a tad hypocritical.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
the council takes out my garbage, mows the lawn at my local park and fixes holes in the roads...not to mention a shitload of other stuff

the union literally does fuk all for me, why should i pay them $600 a year

i pay tax so that homeless ppl can get food and there are roads and healthcare and defence forces etc,

i pay union fees for wat reason again?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
gordo said:
the council takes out my garbage, mows the lawn at my local park and fixes holes in the roads...not to mention a shitload of other stuff

the union literally does fuk all for me, why should i pay them $600 a year

i pay tax so that homeless ppl can get food and there are roads and healthcare and defence forces etc,

i pay union fees for wat reason again?
So you can have a bunch of evangelical union friends to speak to whereever you go:)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
Techie said:
Without any student activism organised by the union, the Government is free to increase HECS or abolish the system altogether and move everything to full-fee. Of course there have been HECS increases in the past but the reality is that they would've been more drastic had there not been widespread student protest.
you sound like the wanker that came into our engineering lectuer to tell us uni life would be abolished forever unless we all marched in the rain to parliament house with 1% of the uni.

please, promote as much uni activism as you want, i think its great...but 600 x 40000 is 24 million bucks a year

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
Asquithian said:
You very statement demonsrte your values. You only wish to pay for things which directly benefit you.

You do not care about anyone else but yourself.

The above examples you give HAPPEN to benefit everyone else while benefitting you.
yes...
me saying i pay tax so homeless ppl can have food is me paying for things which directly benefit me...

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
um yeh
to be 100% honest i did not even consider the thought that i want homeless ppl to have food so that they are not in the streets of my suburb...

and you are editting way too many of your posts for this to make chronological sense

i start uni at 8, i'm going to bed

maybe if pay a grand in uni fees they can organise me a stretch limo to pick me up from redfern

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The government doesn't pay welfare for homeless people because we have the dole and we have the department of housing :rolleyes:

Edit: While we're on this subject, could you find me some homeless people that a) aren't recieving benefits and b) don't have access to benefits?

Asquithian, it's not about "not caring for others", it's about prioritising and critically analysing the situation.
How many (x) people are benefiting from (y) dolars?
Is there other ways for these services to run?
Are there other outlets?

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
sorry before i go,
i know u proabably will never change your opinion on vsu

but i am willing to,

if u can actually tell me genuine stuff that the union does that benefits students at uni in the same manner rates and taxes benefit the community, to the degree of 24 million bucks a year, which is what the union gets from fees alone, then i would honestly be willing to change my point of view.

lastly, these internet debates are futile, if u are genuinely interested, meet me at lvl 6 at 4:30 for some mooting :p

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I think the general idea of paying compulsory fees (they could be much much lower though) is a good thing to support all the services available on campus, the problem is that there are too many people abusing the system, especially the extremist political activists and evangelical societies. There was no need for the union to bring in the new member card, they could have saved so much more money by just using the original student card instead. Also the supposed subsidies we get from the member card are the same as what they were last year (so in effect the union outlets have just marked up all the goods and services). It really makes you wonder the idiots that are in charge of the union, and this is what i mean about how they are abusing the compulsory fees everyone pays.

Plebeian

Not-That-Bright said:
Asquithian, it's not about "not caring for others", it's about prioritising and critically analysing the situation.
How many (x) people are benefiting from (y) dolars?
Is there other ways for these services to run?
Not really, no. Unless you want to have the university funding the SRC. I'm sure that would work really well in circumstances where the SRC is protesting against the university, or representing students in academic appeals...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)