• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

VSU Emergency Rally - Tommorow (Wed 16th) (1 Viewer)

Jonathan A

HSC
jellybeenz said:
They do at broadway, so why wouldnt they at uni?

buy a bottle and get value for your money! And just think, you will have an extra $150 + spare to do this.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
The SRC is about $66. Now student services contribute to most of that, however, they destroy their image to students by running the campaign. A fair bit of this could be avoided and would more likely have higher membership if a) they didn't run the campaigns or b) allowed people to contribute only to the student services (at a reduced fee (where those contributing to the politics wouldnt get some "full membership discount")).

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Is it possible... for someone using student services to get more for their money than the ammount of money they donate?
With all the political campaigns etc i'd say these people would be very rare.

jellybeenz

HSC
Jonathan A said:
buy a bottle and get value for your money! And just think, you will have an extra $150 + spare to do this.
I prefer cans...

Thanks for the suggestion about the 24 cans from coles though, just wondering how exactly I'd keep a can cold all day long?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Delta32 said:
I wouldn't use the Federal Government as a good example, the majority of Australians didn't want more troops to be sent to Iraq. Did they listen then?
I'm not saying that I agree on that particular issue, but sometimes government must make decisions in the best interests of the country, not just what the majority wants.

jellybeenz

HSC
Ah then you'll see my dilemma... I'm at uni from 8-5 some days... there is no way a can of coke would stay cold until the end of the day.

In conclusion, VSU is bad for me. I've talked about benefits to general university population with USU, but today I'm being materialistic and selfish. I want the price of cans of coke to stay at $1.50.

Jonathan A

HSC
jellybeenz said:
I prefer cans...

Thanks for the suggestion about the 24 cans from coles though, just wondering how exactly I'd keep a can cold all day long?

So by paying a union fee, this so-called 'problem' of yours would go away. It just shows how useful they can really be.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well basically.. if all u want it for is coke, say u save... 150-600 dollars or whatever it is.. I'm sure that's more than enough for a can a coke/day for a year lol

Jonathan A

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
I'm not saying that I agree on that particular issue, but sometimes government must make decisions in the best interests of the country, not just what the majority wants.

Very true. THe concept of the greatest good for the greatest number isn't always the most popular option in reality. Rather it should be based deciding based on merits of the options. In the case of student unions, its the position of the union now, it has little relevance to what the masses at universities seek.

Jonathan A

HSC
jellybeenz said:
Ah then you'll see my dilemma... I'm at uni from 8-5 some days... there is no way a can of coke would stay cold until the end of the day.

In conclusion, VSU is bad for me. I've talked about benefits to general university population with USU, but today I'm being materialistic and selfish. I want the price of cans of coke to stay at $1.50.

You can't tell me you are in any way an economics or business student with that mindset unless you drink a lot of drinks, more than three a day.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The student unions remind me of aboriginal lobby groups, who sit around spending all their money on a "sorry" campaign, that really does nothing for the issues of aboriginals today, while they could be focusing on trying to fix the social/economic problems that aboriginals are facing NOW, things we CAN fix.
sigh...

Jonathan A

HSC
jellybeenz said:
In conclusion, VSU is bad for me.

How many other students go to the University of Sydney? Is VSU bad for every single one of them? Or do they agree that they shouldn't pay for something they may not support nor care about, other than to study and continue the life they worked hard for?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If the price goes up 50 cents, and you drink 1 a day every day for 52 weeks, that's still only going to cost you $182 extra...
With the say $200 saving you had from not having to pay your student union fee you actually MAKE an extra $18.

Either your some INSANE coke drinker, or you just haven't thought about this carefully enough.
P.s. i doubt the price will go up to $2 :rolleyes:

Jonathan A

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
If the price goes up 50 cents, and you drink 1 a day every day for 52 weeks, that's still only going to cost you $182 extra...
With the say $200 saving you had from not having to pay your student union fee you actually MAKE an extra $18.

Either your some INSANE coke drinker, or you just haven't thought about this carefully enough.
P.s. i doubt the price will go up to $2 :rolleyes:

True, also the student may not be on campus everyday. Not to mention they may decide not to drink a can that day.

jellybeenz

HSC
Jonathan A said:
How many other students go to the University of Sydney? Is VSU bad for every single one of them? Or do they agree that they shouldn't pay for something they may not support nor care about, other than to study and continue the life they worked hard for?
Wow. Other people go to uni? SO wait a minute... VSU is bad for me but not for other people? Just like USU is bad to some people but not for me?

Jonathan A said:
Not to mention they may decide not to drink a can that day.
Oh I never decide not to drink a can of coke. Yeah I'm insane that way.

Not-That-Bright said:
The student unions remind me of aboriginal lobby groups, who sit around spending all their money on a "sorry" campaign, that really does nothing for the issues of aboriginals today, while they could be focusing on trying to fix the social/economic problems that aboriginals are facing NOW, things we CAN fix.
sigh...
Hey! I joined the Aboriginal club thing at uni... you think we just might ideologically disagree? :p

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If you feel that campaigning the sorry campaign is more important than looking out for the issues which are affecting aboriginals NOW, then you have a whack ideology.

jellybeenz

HSC
I feel that once the problem is acknowledged (by the govt), the solution will naturally and more easily follow. I'd go into it in depth but I really feel that its off-topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)