volumes help (1 Viewer)

VJ30

HSC
find the volume when the circle x^2 + (y-4)^2=4 is revolved about the x-axis....can anyone show complete worked solutions...i am finding it tough to do!

HSC
LOL!

What a coincidence. There are 2 solutions outlined (different methods - well 3) but yeah, that should be of help.

VJ30

HSC
LOL!

What a coincidence. There are 2 solutions outlined (different methods - well 3) but yeah, that should be of help.
in the shells method by nightweaver, he chose the bigger radius as y+delta y...but i chose y+delta y+2 since it is elevated by 2...am i wrong??? also for smaller radius he chose y where as i chose y+2...any difference?

nightweaver066

HSC
in the shells method by nightweaver, he chose the bigger radius as y+delta y...but i chose y+delta y+2 since it is elevated by 2...am i wrong??? also for smaller radius he chose y where as i chose y+2...any difference?
you should be taking the radius to be y + delta y and y as you are considering the distance of the y-coordinate to the x-axis.

if we were rotating around y = -2, then yes, you would consider y + 2 and y + 2 + delta y

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)