vocab (1 Viewer)

B35tY

HSC
Quite simply, i don't. IMO it's too late to start now, vocab is learnt through a build-up of all the years we're been studying Jap.

"Learning" vocab never really worked that well for me, i'm just no good at it.

P

pLuvia

You have a dictionary in the exam, but don't always be tempted to use it

specialone

HSC
the only part i have trouble with is the listening, and its what mostly everyone in my class gets dragged down by. There's too much vocab!

P

pLuvia

The HSC ones are definately easier than the trials I've done eg MS, AIS, OHS etc. Just read the question before hand and use your intiative and try and "guess" the word, or write it down and check it with your dictionary, if you have time.

B35tY

HSC
Yeah if you don't know a word, write it in Jap and find it later. Even if you waste a minute of your time from the other sections, it's better than missing the whole passage.

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
I find that while it isn't necessary, having a firm grasp of vocab is a really good way of making the listening and reading sections of the paper much less stressful. If I miss a few words in a listening passage the whole thing usually goes - I don't know where the word I didn't understand started or finished and all around it is confusing. I mainly use my dictionary to check extra kanji or check maybe a word they've specifically thrown in for you to look up in the dictionary. We had topic specific vocab tests evey week and I've laboriously entered in all BOS syllabus and wakatta vocab into an online flash card machine that I try to go through a few hundred a day. It's a bit boring, but good I think and I have the all with full kanji so it helps with recognition a lot.

Scheming boy that I am, I made it available to the rest of my jap class after the trials and will post it in the resources section after my HSC. Ah well =P

Last edited:

B35tY

HSC
WOW! Congratulations. I could never be bothered to do that.

Hopefully it'll pay off in the HSC, you deserve it.

T

Testpilot

In my Jap trial we all finished with like an hour and a half to go.... so there is plenty of time for using a dictionary. (though i think this might be a bad thing, seeing as we didn't finish the course....oh well i've got 12 units)

Nasus

HSC
awhile ago i wrote up all the vocab and according to the topics in the vocab booklet i made four quizes of each, i try to take two days to learn a list then continue to test it for a few more days now im pretty much just revising it all and i have a list of the words that i have trouble remembering.

my advice to you, as it is getting quite late is too look through your vocab book and learn the lists of words you think are most important, i think it is really useful to know sickness, directions and weather well, because if you don't know the vocab it is very easy to get caught up and you end up having no idea what they are trying to tell you. i think time words are good to know as well.

Fonzie

HSC
Agreeably it is rather late for this.....but you'll have to excuse me seeing as I only just saw this thread.

There's an online flashcard program at www.jtalk.com into which you can load your own vocab lists and test yourself. It's based on an algorithm that will change the intervals at which each word is reviewed to test how well you've learnt it.
The vocab, however, will all come out in their respective kanji...which is good for learning the vocab in the long term, but perhaps not so good if you just want to learn syllabus prescribed stuff (e.g. 鉛* rather than just えんぴつ)

kranqualizer

HSC
but the HSC listening is all about the analysis~ Plus u need to include the info u heard at the same time~~ LISTENING IS SO HARD!

vocab is confusing too ... whats with all the じょうしき and しょうじき??? all the letter swapping

zomg heading towards failure on friday

yupgisonyun

HSC
kranqualizer said:
vocab is confusing too ... whats with all the じょうしき and しょうじき??? all the letter swapping
well you can blame the phonetically inflexible language and it's attempt to adopt chinese words with limited sounds.... anyway... my advice from past experience in jap hsc is don't rely on dictionaries too much and forget about trying to sound smarter by using sophisticated words unless your dictionary provides plenty of examples in how to use those words in context... markers get annoyed when ppl try to use words they never used and it doesn't make sense so that's one reason they're getting rid of dictionaries from next year... oh yer... and don't try to to copy out kanjis for sophisticated words coz unless they're in the prescribed 200, you're not gonna get credit for them... anyway there's no need to waste time memorising vocabs in this point in time, but rather spend this time practising essays and comprehensions...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)