Visual Basic... Where can you learn it (1 Viewer)

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Hey people, anyone who does SDD might have this problem. For me the theory is all good, then when it comes to the prac, I essentially choke. I would like to get better with VBasic as I can pseudocode software solutions up pretty well, and was wondering where do you people go for coding or tutorials?

www.vbcode.com

is a good source of code, however it doesn't exactly teach you how to program... Anyone with any visual basic experience would really help here... I'm currently trying to find the script for importing text (just notepad) documents... with the ms common dialogue function. I have the code @ school but was wondering where I can get it online so I can program at home. <--- this is for anyone with any specifics, but I noticed there isn't too many SDD collections of VB assistance around, so I thought this would be good for all types of programmers. Thanks in advance.

:)nick1048:)

PoP 'n' Fresh

Poke me! I giggle!
HSC
im wandering why the real need of further VB?
You dont need VB for the HSC, although if you have a set major project, thats different...

but anyway, the best way to learn VB is to get some books. See if your school has some books that you could borrow.. or try a library somewhere...cheapest way =D

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
HSC
yeah I noe about books n stuff but I mean this is the internet, there's bound to be countless numbers of software solutions here. Just can't seem to find the most insightful and maybe some members have :) ty for ur input. Ohhh and yes this is for my major work which I want to score well in to obtain 1st or 2nd rank.

sunny

meh.
HSC
nick1048 said:
with the ms common dialogue function. I have the code @ school but was wondering where I can get it online so I can program at home. <--- this is for anyone with any specifics, but I noticed there isn't too many SDD collections of VB assistance around, so I thought this would be good for all types of programmers. Thanks in advance.

Have you looked in your components list and checked the MS Common Dialog Control? If its not there, update your VB6 to SP5 to reinstall the components.

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Is this VB6 opr VB.NET or VB 2005 EE?

I suggest just getting a p2p program and searching for Visual Basic, it'll most likely come up with a ton of e-books. I've got about 5 or 6 1000 pages+ E-Books on VB.NET. I'm using VB 2005 EE but it's similar to .NET so I'm just going through the VB.NET e-books.

jonathan109

HSC
N/A
You have two choices, if you want to just use VB6 for your major project, research as you go, but try not to even remember or adopting to standards in which it says to.

If you're actually after learning it formally, switch to a more OOP based language, VB6 is not OOP, not 100% OOP, it lacks alot, and also MS "might" be ending VB6 support, it's stilll being debated and many top MVPs are signing petitions to stop this from happening.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
HSC
jonathan109 said:
You have two choices, if you want to just use VB6 for your major project, research as you go, but try not to even remember or adopting to standards in which it says to.

If you're actually after learning it formally, switch to a more OOP based language, VB6 is not OOP, not 100% OOP, it lacks alot, and also MS "might" be ending VB6 support, it's stilll being debated and many top MVPs are signing petitions to stop this from happening.
The condition is we have to use Vbasic 6.0 but thanks for ur input.

Scanorama

HSC
Drop by your library and pick up some VB6 books from basic, you don't need very in depths books to do the project, I borrowed some very basic books on VB6 (beginners) and got my project done with a mark of 85%. The documentation part is the most important part of your project.

After the HSC, if you intend to continue programming in uni, you are unlikely to use Visual Basic, we are using C++/Quincy 2005 at the moment.

Ghost1788

HSC
i found the best way to learn VB was to develop mini programs and using the builtin MSDN library find what keywords were required to do what i needed them to do.

steeve

SteeVe
HSC
u can read from a text file in may ways

i myself use

Open "c:\example.txt" For Input As #1
Input #1, temp
Close #1

that basically reads the 1st line of example.txt located on c drive to the variable temp. now temp = that 1st line. u can do all sorts of fun stuff with it like add in a loop

Dim RecNames(9999) as Variant
Counter = 0
Open "c:\names.txt" For Input As #1
Do While Not EOF(1)
Input #1, RecNames(Counter)
Counter = Counter + 1
Loop
Close #1

now that reads names.txt and puts it into a array, each new like is a new element in the array.

Similary u can write back to a file

Open "c:\example.txt" For Output As #1
Print #1, "Some random text, line 1"
Print #1, "Some random text, line 2"
Close #1

note that when u open a file this way it deletes what eva is already in the file

I believe their is a more powerful method of writing, creating, deleting, editing, copying etc files using the file but ive only eva used it to delete folders and stuff.

also i learnt vb just by looking at what others did on www.planet-source-code.com for example if i dident know how to encrypt a file i'll just head ova and type in encrypt and get about 100 hits or if i didentknow how to get the current machines ip i'll go and search "find ip" and get more hits =) hope it helps

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Hehe now I got visual basic 2003 too. Got myself a copy on my p2p program.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
nick1048 said:
Hey people, anyone who does SDD might have this problem. For me the theory is all good, then when it comes to the prac, I essentially choke. I would like to get better with VBasic as I can pseudocode software solutions up pretty well, and was wondering where do you people go for coding or tutorials?

www.vbcode.com

is a good source of code, however it doesn't exactly teach you how to program... Anyone with any visual basic experience would really help here... I'm currently trying to find the script for importing text (just notepad) documents... with the ms common dialogue function. I have the code @ school but was wondering where I can get it online so I can program at home. <--- this is for anyone with any specifics, but I noticed there isn't too many SDD collections of VB assistance around, so I thought this would be good for all types of programmers. Thanks in advance.

go 2 a lib there have so many beginners guides 2 vB but however my teacher gave me one so i never used needed borrowing one but i know there r sum in the public liburary

expertdkx

B.IT Network Security
HSC
Uni Grad
VB6 is not hard as long as u keep trial and error...

Dim x As Byte
Private Sub Command1_Click()
MsgBox Int(Rnd(x))
If x < 0 Then
x = x + 1
End If
Print x
End Sub
that will show msg boxes as 0 and print/display them on the form.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)