Virus Checking Uploads Script (1 Viewer)

Agent Z

HSC
I'm a little unsure on this, so I was wondering if anyone here could give me a hand? I am making an upload script and want to ensure that what the user is uploading isn't a virus.

It doesn't seem hard in theory. Upload the file, then run a binary like Norton Anti-Virus passing the file as an argument. Then take appropriate action based on what you get back.

My question is, is there a perl module created for this? Or do I need to install a virus detection binary and use a system command to run it? Finally, what about definition updates? How would I ensure that whatever I'm using is up to date with the current viruses out there?

Winston

HSC
I'm not a web developer so yeah but i think you're on the right track but, you can't assume that an actual anti virus installed so maybe you'd have to force the user for assigning the path for the actual antivirus executable and im not sure if the actual anti virus clients have some sort of method for passing or calling their inner functions, but yeah basically youd simply have to send the actual argument of the target file path to the AV scanner and that's it.

yoshi

No problem. Tho, I reckon your other proposed feature of checking if their definitions are up to date will be nigh-impossible through executing the binary.

Best bet is to see if you can maybe parse some configuration files from the anti-virus programs, if they keep them (like .ini's for instance), or check Windows registry values. These places might be where they store values like "last date updated" or similar. Have fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)