Vinyl Collectorz (1 Viewer)

all.time.fiend

WANT SOME FRIES
HSC
Hello The Internet

I am an avid vinyl collector and was wondering whether or not there are others on BoS like myself who not only enjoy collecting vinyl, but also easily lose themselves in its intricacy. The effort (be it little) that goes into replacing each record after the thread end has been reached, the scratches before the song starts, basically the classic feel to it all. I love records.

post love/hate/purchases/anger at prices etc

edit: I know I'm talking shit. feel free to point it out

biomic

(pronounced yay-zu)
HSC
Haha na not talking shit at all, definately a fan myself though my collection consists only of a handful at the moment mostly due to the fact the closest vinyl resource for me is Red Eye in the city (not including JB Chatswoods overstock of Radiohead LP's k). White Light/White Heat for example is one of those records I had to buy on vinyl and listen to it the way it was heard back in the 60's, something really warm and authentic about it.

Pretty sure theres a few others around here that enjoy records too, I read about someone picking up a Godspeed You! Black Emporer vinyl the other day which is awesome.

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
i have TWO GY!BE vinyls - lift yr skinny fists and yanqui uxo so maybe that was me.

Wait, here's my collection: (this is what i've bought myself, only a few records that my parents had were any good - my dad had some Zappa and my mum had a Devo record, lol)

GY!BE - Lift yr skinny fists; Yanqui uxo
Animal Collective - sung tongs
Talking Heads - stop making sense, remain in light
Blondie - random records that came with the talking heads one - it was in the same ebay sale.
Brian Wilson - smile
Panda Bear - bros 12"
Comets on Fire - blue cathedral
Kraftwerk - radioactivity
Four Tet - everything ecstatic
Lou Reed - berlin
Can - future days

jb-hi at galeries victoria has a fair bit of vinyl, some of it at a decent price. better prices than red-eye in any case. but i'd love it if someone could tell us a GOOD place for second-hand vinyl, op-shop record hunting is just fruitless.

i have no more money to spend on vinyl at the moment :( :( :(

walrusbear

HSC
i've just started collecting atcherly

so far i have a very meagre collection (and as of yet, no record player):
radiohead - in rainbows
prince - purple rain
zappa - hot rats

can anyone give good advice on brands/cheap prices/locations to buy a decent turntable? likewise for affordable speakers??

walrusbear

HSC
i've just started collecting atcherly

so far i have a very meagre collection (and, as of yet, no record player):
radiohead - in rainbows
prince - purple rain
zappa - hot rats

can anyone give good advice on brands/cheap prices/locations to buy a decent turntable? likewise for affordable speakers??

biomic

(pronounced yay-zu)
HSC
Yeah I was most likely thinking of you then s-p-a-c-e-d, you must have mentioned that in the recently purchased thread or something, solid grabs there.

Did you get the whole deluxe pack walrus? I friend of mine got it and I had to lol when I saw what they did with the vinyls, 2 tracks per side on a 12", got to love radiohead :) Great album none the less.

My collection so far is small aswell:

Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
The Shins - Chutes too Narrow
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake its Morning (180 Gram)
White Stripes - s/t

and Sugarcubes - Regina, its best not to ask about that one

As for turntables I'm not going to claim to know a whole lot but I use a belt driven one which does the job, it's an Akai and it's hooked up to an Akai amplifier, its part of a whole entertainment system sort of thing. As for where you'd get them now, eBay has a fair few floating around the last time I checked, Dick Smith has a cheap one I believe, besides that I'm blank, perhaps others know of more places

Last edited:

maddy_d

Taper Jean Girl
HSC
i collect 7s....i do have some 12s but i dont know what it is about 7s i just cant go past them. so far i have about 50-60 i would have so many more but they are so expensive in australia! at 10-13$ a pop i get a lot from overseas stockists for about a pound each.
in regards to turntables i just have a crappy one that does the job at the moment but i plan to get a proper technics one for my birthday.
vinyl is just so much more interesting than mp3s and cds, which is why i like them i guess, except it is a pain having to change them over after every song(for 7s) and you cant really take them anywhere either.

all.time.fiend

WANT SOME FRIES
HSC
biomic said:
Sugarcubes - Regina, its best not to ask about that one
woah where'd you get that from?

maddy_d said:
i collect 7s....i do have some 12s but i dont know what it is about 7s i just cant go past them. so far i have about 50-60 i would have so many more but they are so expensive in australia! at 10-13$ a pop i get a lot from overseas stockists for about a pound each.
I love 7s too, if i see one thats been picture pressed I always ALWAYS buy it straight away and stick it on my wall

s-p-a-c-e-d said:
jb-hi at galeries victoria has a fair bit of vinyl, some of it at a decent price. better prices than red-eye in any case. but i'd love it if someone could tell us a GOOD place for second-hand vinyl, op-shop record hunting is just fruitless.

i have no more money to spend on vinyl at the moment :( :( :(
parramatta town hall has a record fair every few months where people bring in their collections to sell, you have to pay something like $5 to get in but its so worth it. you can find so many good records in there and its not all old shit (but there are a few $2 bins with christmas compilations etc). however, dont expect dirt cheap prices because the merchant knows what hes selling and is looking for a profit. I've missed the couple but the last time I went I died at the selection! alas, I didnt have much money and had to make some tough decisions. I wouldnt have a clue when the next one is on, I usually see the posters stuck to poles on the side of the road while I'm driving and just make a mental note.

also pigeon ground in annandale has a huge record collection but its mostly old stuff and youve got to work your way through it all. pigeon ground also buys records if youve got stuff to sell but better post it here first to give others a chance ;)

biomic

(pronounced yay-zu)
HSC
woah where'd you get that from?
Scored that off eBay for a tidy $5 from the UK on a 12". Not a bad song either haha, yet to get into alot of the other sugarcubes stuff though.

You know when the next record fair is dude? Definately wouldn't mind checking that out.

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
biomic - the sugarcubes are awesome! go get life's too good as soon as possible because it's a fantastic album. totally different mood to bjork's solo stuff, and overall i just find it infinitely more listenable and enjoyable than bjork's music. it's nothing amazing like homogenic in terms of its actual sound, just something that you'll want to listen to all the time (or at least i did).

alltimefiend - sounds like awesome, hopefully i can still get that day off work. i really want to find some 60s/70s psychedelic and tropicalia so this thing might be my best hope. oh and hey we live in the same suburb lol

oh and i was in brisbane for the last two days, Rocking Horse Records had the best vinyl selection of any store I've ever been to. it's so much better than anything in sydney it's ridiculous. i could have spent hours there looking but we were in a little bit of a rush to get back to the airport.
of course it was expensive so i only bought these:

Can - Ege Bamyasi (it said it was green vinyl on the front but it wasn't green it was clear! WTH explain plz! I also saw Tago Mago and I was torn as to what i should get but i chose this...)
Animal Collective - Fireworks 7" (pink vinyl with etching on the back i couldn't resist!)
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (actually i got this from jb but i'd been wanting it for a while so I got it)

stuff i must get if i ever go back:

stereo total - do the bambi
earth - hibernaculum
caetano veloso - s/t
bois - pink (gawd i wanted this so badly)
can - tago mago
probably heaps more that i've forgotten at the moment

Last edited:

DekarTyphon

HSC
Uni Grad
I tend to buy albums that I either love so much that I need them on vinyl (Betty Davis - Betty Davis, Sally Shapiro - Disco Romance) or things that I can't get on CD (Deepchord/Soultek split remix EP of Claude VonStroke's 'Who's Afraid Of Detroit?)

I also have a Jena Malone 7". It's pretty sweet bro.

all.time.fiend

WANT SOME FRIES
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Bumpz0r.

We just set up a turntable in my room - the beatles are going to get a spin for the next month. No drugs to go with though :(
get a case of dr. pepper and imagine

Ptr-Projekt

HSC
heres my quite "small" collection for a hardtrance hardstyle dj. after hsc = get a job and buy more :cool:

UBD 032 Überdruck & Mass In Orbit - XTC Love (Überdruck Records) 12"
AQL 085 Rocco - Street Knowledge (Aqualoop Records) 12"
AQL 095 Van Der Karsten - Medicine (Aqualoop Records) 12"
ATMOSUK001 Synthetic (3) & Major Tom (4) / Log:One & DJ Wragg - Atmosphere / Creatures (Atmosphere Records UK) 12"
BIR001 Hardstyle Mafia - Rockin' Da Place / Go Insane (Bazz Implant Recordings) 12"
BLQ 046 Dark Oscillators - Superstar DJ (Blq Records) 12"
POLL 281 Builder - Her Voice (Dance Pollution) 12"
DJURED12 Jones (9) & B-Front* - Lunatick (DJ's United Red Records) 12"
JMDD001.1 Nish - Harderground 8 EP (Doof Doof Traxx) 12"
DROP 0571-6 Megara vs. DJ Lee - Outside World (Dropout) 12"
DBS 401 ZTX & Kingsman - Smokin' N Pourin' (Droppin' Beats) 12", S/Sided
DBS 601 Kat Meets Gerardo Roschini - Alright (Droppin' Beats) 12", S/Sided
DMW 015 Showtek - FTS (Dutch Master Works) 12"
FUSION 042-5 Southstylers - Blending Beats E.P. (Fusion Records (5)) 12", EP
KANDY001 NFX - No Go, Go For Launch (Hard Kandy Recordings Australia) 12"
MMR-073 Mainfield - Space Dimension E.P. (Mental Madness) 12"
ONE 014 Nish - Bliss / Acidy Overdrive (One Inch Records) 12"
Q 037 Headhunterz - The Power Of The Mind (Q-Dance) 12"
SCANTRAXX 031 Black Identity - Blcker Thn Blck (Scantraxx) 12"
STR 001 Backslash vs. Mikkas / Cavé & Prey - All My Life / Energy (Spin That Records) 12"
STR 004 Lisaya vs. Petersen* Meets DJ Deraven - Ebony Angel / Embracing Sunlight (Spin That Records) 12" 5/5
DJSPROOF001 Scratchaholics - This Is For The DJ Skip Proof Volume 1 (This Is For The DJ) 12"
TTC 034 Technoboy - Into Deep (Titanic Records) 12"
TTC 038 Technoboy - Vita (Titanic Records) 12"
TRAN011 Jason Cortez - Finally / No Other Way (Tranzlation) 12"
TW 019 Nish - Listen 2 Me (Tranzlation Whites) 12"
TR 3093 DJ Merlin & C-Bass - The EP (Tunnel Records) 12", Ltd, Cle
TR 3099 DJ Dean - Music Is My Life (Tunnel Records) 12"
TR 3110 DJ Dean - Kick Off (Tunnel Records) 12"
Ultimate 8 Various - Ultimate Scratch Weapon Volume #8 (Ultimate Scratch Weapon (White)) 12"
WKD 1074 Zatox & Activator* - Don't Let It Go (Wicked Records) 12"
WKD 1077 Zatox & Activator* - Can't Stop / So Fight (Wicked Records) 12"
DJUZ 10 T4T4NK4* - Let's Rock (Zanzatraxx)

esquared

HSC
i only got a turntable a month ago and i'm outta control!

um my collection so far (most of the 7"s i'd had already)

Code:
Magic Dirt	I Was Cruel	10"	Single
Elliott Smith	Elliott Smith	12"	LP
Muscles	One Inch Badge Pin	12"	Single
Pearl Jam	Christmas Single 2003	12"	Fanclub 12" Vinyl
Radiohead	Go To Sleep	12"	Single
Springsteen, Bruce	Born To Run	12"	LP
Lauper, Cyndi	She's So Unusual	12"	LP
Buckley, Tim	Greetings from L.A.	12"	LP
Split Enz	Time & Tide	12"	LP
New Kids On The Block	Hangin' Tough	12"	LP
Neutral Milk Hotel	On Avery Island	12"	LP
Neutral Milk Hotel	In The Aeroplane Over The Sea	12"	LP
Khan, King (& The Shrines)	What Is?!	12"	LP
Newsom, Joanna	The Milk Eyed Mender	12"	LP
Go-Betweens, The	Oceans Apart	12"	LP
Black Lips, The	Let It Bloom	12"	LP
Diplo & Eli Escobar	Hollertronix #7: The Boogie Down Bottle Nose Dolphins	12"	EP
Smog	Knock Knock	12"	LP
Springsteen, Bruce	The River	2x 12"	LP
Newsom, Joanna	Ys	2x 12"	LP
Pearl Jam	Christmas Single 2001	2x 7"	Fanclub 7" Vinyl
Sonic Youth	Daydream Nation	4x 12"	LP
Arcade Fire, The	Power Out	7"	Single
Arcade Fire, The	Power Out	7"	Single
Arcade Fire, The	Cold Wind	7"	Single
At The Drive-In	Hell Paso	7"	EP
At The Drive-In	Alfaro Vive, Cajaro!	7"	EP
Bank Holidays/Institut Polaire	Bird/City Walls and Empires	7"	Split 
Benni Hemm Hemm & Jens Lekman	Skvavars	7"	Single
Black Lips	Australian Tour 7" 2007	7"	Single
Bright Eyes	Motion Sickness	7"	Single
Bright Eyes	Take it Easy (Love Nothing)	7"	Single
Dead Farmers	Dead Farmers	7"	EP
Elliott Smith	Needle In The Hay	7"	Single
Flaming Lips, The	7 Nation Army	7"	Single
Kiosk	Growing Pains	7"	EP
Mason, Willy	So Long (Live)	7"	Single
Pearl Jam	Christmas Single 2000	7"	Fanclub 7" Vinyl
Pearl Jam	Christmas Single 2002	7"	Fanclub 7" Vinyl
Pearl Jam	Christmas Single 2004	7"	Fanclub 7" Vinyl
Penner, Alden	The Ghost Of Creaky Crater	7"	EP
Xiu Xiu/Devendra Banhart	Body Breaks/Support Our Troops	7"	Split
Yeah Yeah Yeahs/Liars	Australian Tour 2003 Split	7"	Split
Dappled Cities and Red Riders	November Rain	7"	Single
Black Lips/King Khan and BBQ Show	Merry Christmas From…	7"	Split
Ooga Boogas, The	The Octopus Is Back/Diggin' A Hole	7"	Single
Reatard, Jay	Blood Demos	7"	EP
Smith, Elliott	Speed Trials	7"	Single

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)