Video for B.O.W? (1 Viewer)

Leap

free falling
HSC
Did anyone from the class of 02 do Film/Video for their Art body of work last year? And is anyone from 03 doing one?
I'm considering doing a video, although I haven't discussed it with my art teacher yet and she'll probably be totally against it. After seeing the videos at Art express, though, I'm sooo motivated to make one! And I know a fair bit about it, and have several programs on my computer I could use.
Does anyone know the BOS requirements for film/video? i.e how long it has to go for (I think its about 7 - 8 minutes but I'm not sure..)

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
yep, max 6 minutes, but it can be shorter if you want. i considered making a short film (only a minute or two) last year to go with my other works, but ran out of time. i'd still like to make one at some stage...

i dunno the other requirements though, you have to have your student number in it somewhere i think (probably the closing credits), but that's all i'm sure of besides the 6 minutes thing.

Leap

free falling
HSC
max 6 minutes,
:uhoh:
geez thats pretty short. Anyway, I asked my art teacher about it today and she said I could go ahead with it if I wanted :) yay.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
yeah 6 min is pretty short whern you look at it, but it's pretty hard work.
getting actors, costumes, props, music, location scouting, script, cinematography, actually shooting the thing, editing, effects, etc etc etc.

good luck... it's good that your art teacher supports your idea...

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
I'm doing video for my BoW... My teacher doesn't want me to... I seriously hate her! Oh well... Also doing a video for my drama IP... I have a series of tips found in a whole lotta mags. Check out: this website (it's short film stuff) It has some stuff on short films and some stuff is interesting... Here are a series of tips I've been told by 5 different ArtExpress videographers, Baz Luhrmann and my drama teacher... Also applies to a whole lotta other things re: film making...

Plan a realistic project in terms of equipment, time, commitments and resources.
Draw up a schedule for the whole project, allowing plenty of time for unexpected occurrences.
Adhere to your schedule as rigidly as possible.
Concentrate on developing a simple idea and stick with it.
Keep dialogue to a minimum. Sound problems are a weakness of amateur video making.
Limit yourself to the smalles possible cast and only use reliable actors.
Book and rehearse actors well in advance of shooting.
Be familiar with all equipment prior to use. Research and experiment as much as possible.
Check out locations early.
Plan for problems with eqipment, weather or actors.
Record all your decisions (in this case in your VAPD)

That's just like the basis of what I have... I have pages and PAGES of stuff... Two texts to really help aspiring film + tv students are:
DIGITAL VIDEO magazine (the bomb for yr 12 video students)
and
DAVID MAMET'S - A WHORE'S PROFESSION (in particular the "book within the book" titled 'On Directing Film')

That's all i really have - feel free to contact me for any other tips...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)