Victorian bushfires (1 Viewer)

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Re: At least 14 dead in Victoria bushfires

I don't believe any were deliberately lit. They are just trying to blame someone and make an interesting story. As for the death count; it has passed 70 so far...

iamsickofyear12

HSC

How the fuck do you die in a bushfire? Surely when you see the fire coming you quickly go in the opposite direction.

Boxes

Banned
HSC

How the fuck do you die in a bushfire? Surely when you see the fire coming you quickly go in the opposite direction.
those silly bogans probably tried fighting the fire with their garden hoses.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

Death toll rises to 76

Seventy-six people are confirmed dead in Victoria's bushfires, surpassing the state's toll in the 1983 Ash Wednesday blazes.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

Death toll rises to 76

Seventy-six people are confirmed dead in Victoria's bushfires, surpassing the state's toll in the 1983 Ash Wednesday blazes.
Shit. So is it mostly over now and they're just counting the bodies or are the fires still going as strong as before and continuing to kill?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

I think they're still going - the winds picked up this afternoon, and there's a few fires in inaccesable places.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

Expecting 100, this surpasses Ash Wednesday.
1 dead in Bendigo in a separate fire.

So sad, I heard a story on the news today of a badly burnt man carrying his badly burnt infant, he'd lost his wife and other child.

I know sometimes it can't be helped, but I wonder how many would have survived if they hadn't tried to flee at the last minute. Most of the deaths have occurred due to people fleeing and crashing their cars due to the smoke.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

Shit. So is it mostly over now and they're just counting the bodies or are the fires still going as strong as before and continuing to kill?
Still strong, although Kingslake is a lost cause, only 12 houses remain (700+ lost).

I'd expect the toll to rise considerably. If the fires are as intense as is being suggested, I imagine a few people have probably perished beyond discovery.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

Yeah - I was always taught to try and make the house airtight and then stay in it. But I suppose a wall of flame coming towards your house...

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

Yeah.

Second worse thing you can do is stand there and hose your gutter/roof.
a. If the fire is that intense, the water will evaporate anyway and you could have spent the time leaving or collecting valuables/securing your property.
b. All it does is drop the pressure in the mains which makes it harder for fire fighters to get water pressure.

I was always told to either flee well before the fire gets to you, or to stay indoors (like a bathroom or something). Seal doorways and stuff to stop the smoke.

I remember in the early 90s when Sydney was hit, a heap of people sought refuge in their pools and suffocated. :( I guess people just panic.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

Looking at the footage, the houses are completely destroyed. I don't know how much chance you'd have of surviving inside one of them.

The trick would have been to get out much earlier, instead of waiting for the fire to reach their backyards.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

Yes, true. There have been quite a few people telling the news that they stayed inside until the house caught on fire and then fled into a clearing and watched their houses burn.

In this case, from what I've heard, the fire was moving so fast that most people didn't even realise it was coming until they could hear it.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

Marysville, a former gold rush town that was home to about 800 people 80 miles (130 kilometers) north of Melbourne, was almost completely wiped out.

"Marysville is no more," Senior Constable Brian Cross told The Associated Press as he manned a checkpoint Sunday in nearby Healesville on a road leading into the town. No deaths were reported in Marysville, but police sealed it off because they feared bodies would be found there.

Television footage from Marysville showed a scene of utter devastation: house after house was a smoking ruin, with wooden beams in cinders, piles of blackened bricks and iron roofing sheets twisted in the heat. The police station, schoolhouse and pub were gutted. Burned-out cars littered the streets.
Wow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)