Veterinary science!! (1 Viewer)

>monkey<

HSC
allo there
im just wondering what the timetable is like for veterinary science? like how many hours a week do u do and what time do u finish each day?
also what kind of people do u think make good and successful vets?!
thanks in advance!!

sugrsheng

HSC
>monkey< said:
allo there
im just wondering what the timetable is like for veterinary science? like how many hours a week do u do and what time do u finish each day?
also what kind of people do u think make good and successful vets?!
thanks in advance!!

One of my buddies is doing Vet Science. The hours arent too bad and it does vary week to week.
To be a good vet you obviously need a great personality to accomodate your very special patients. Like medicine it will involve disecting etc so if you cant stand blood and intestines definitely its not for you. However these things can be conditioned over a period of time. But definitely out going and curious about mans best friends and other creatures.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
does anybody do b animal and veterinary bioscience?

i think the above relates to the actual couse BVSc, but i was wondering how it is for b animal and vet biosc. how do the hours look? how is the course? is there any other way other than uai that you got into the course, how etc..

any stories and info would be greatly appreciated.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
B Animal Vet bio Sci pretty much have the same hours as us in first year. I dont know about the later years since this year is the first to go. From what ive heard from my friends in the course, the course itself isnt "animal related enough" and the faculty's priority is the feedback from the students. i dont know whether or not theyre going to implement the change immediately. Its pretty much like any other science degree in terms of hours, you're looking at about averaging 20 - 25 hours per week. UAI is the only entry i know of, though i think they offer fee places. You might want to check it out on the faculty website: http://www.vetsci.usyd.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/overview_bioscience.shtml

>monkey<

HSC
well im hoping that ill get into veterinary science, i got a uai of 99.05 so hopefully ill get in!
however ive got no biology background at all so im worried that ill be disadvantaged since cell biology is a subject in first semester. is a biology bridging course worth doing at usyd or shuld i just study sum bio by myself?
thanks in advance!

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
My friends did the bio bridging and theyre doing pharmacy. They said it didnt help at all because it was all taught way too fast. Its up to you really, its probably a good idea to do so, but the subject (cell biology) is designed so that people with no biology background can learn and catch up in a good pace. Ive noticed alot of people who are more physics/maths minded have trouble understanding biology, which is what ive noticed with a few people in my year. Though only one guy kinda dropped out of Vet of whom i know of had difficulty grasping its concept.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
>monkey< said:
well im hoping that ill get into veterinary science, i got a uai of 99.05 so hopefully ill get in!
however ive got no biology background at all so im worried that ill be disadvantaged since cell biology is a subject in first semester. is a biology bridging course worth doing at usyd or shuld i just study sum bio by myself?
thanks in advance!
i didnt do bio.. before med... and lots of ppl in med/vet are the same
and i did bridging and like u need to do extra work

like u keep the note from bridging and they are handy.. find a nice basic anatomy+physiology book (what are organelles and their function etc..) .. ummm i dunno but i didnt need to learn plant bio so... just find out from ppl tat did it in the older yrs who also didnt have bio..

dun stress 1st yr is normally transition time and then ull get use to it all..

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
ok, so i don't actually want to do Bachelor of Veterinary Science, i wanna do B. Animal and Veterinary Bioscience. people who are doing this, did any of you NOT do biology and find it very hard? i didn't do biology and am seriously considering taking a bridging course in order to help me along the bachelor degree, but as kimmeh said, it doesn't seem AS necessary as i feel it does.

>monkey<

HSC
by the way...i absolutely HATE insects, i really cant stand them and i freak out when ever im close to one lol
do yous think that has ne thing to do with veterinary science or not really?
just need to get rid of all my concerns b4 i make my final decision!

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
:) I gather you havent heard the saying "Fleas are a vets best friend". Fleas, ticks, mites, other external and internal parasites (worms) are quite common cases seen in practice. If you ever get a chance to work on a sheep farm, you'll see maggots if it is managed poorly. Theres a whole subject devoted to these critters in 3rd year. I personally dont think you can avoid any "insects" but im sure you get a chance to put some gloves on before you pick them off ;). If you work on farms, you're going to be harassed by flies-even if you're not working, your pracwork makes you ;)

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
i hate insects too, infact i hate them and im so scared of them i think i've developed a phoebia for them. yet, i've had my heart set on becoming a vet since i was 10. kimmeh, do we need to go anywhere near cockroaches or moths? because that will literally kill me.

>monkey<

HSC
worms and fleas and all that dont bother me all that much but i cant stand cockaroaches and crickets and these other random insects that pop outta nowhere!

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
haha, there are cockroaches all over the uni... you see them all squashed on the footpaths.

Dont bother about biology, i didnt do it, and i've been fine. Its only really one subject in 1st year you need it for anyway, and like kim said, its designed to bring everyone up to the same level. If you havent done bio, you will just have to pay a bit more attention in the first few weeks when they cover all the basics. Dont waste your holidays doing more study, you will need all your brain power for the years ahead.

Just wait till you get a fresh dog to dissect that has maggots in the back of its mouth.... not at all pleasant! Or worse, a live animal with a maggot infested wound.... ewwww

Much of our time is spent looking at insects under microscopes (mites etc) because you need to be able to tell the major differences in order to prescribe treatments. They are actually quite fascinating.

Honestly, after you have spent a week at a dairy getting your head shat on, having urine and mastitic milk splashed in your face, getting kicked, bitten, sunburnt and are covered in flies, insects will be the least of your worries! Dont worry, its all in good fun!

>monkey<

HSC
haha well well i cant wait to be shat on, pissed on, sprayed with milk and enjoy a nice roasting from the sun!! hope to join ya nxt year in vet science if the cut off doesnt jump beyond 99.05!!
thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)