Veterinary Science USYD (1 Viewer)

kimmmj5

HSC
N/A
I can only imagine myself as a vet in the future, it's THE ONLY thing I want to study at university.. and of course usyd is my first preference! I'm a 2012 HSC student and I honestly do not think I am able to achieve such a high atar... I'm in the middle of trials at the moment and after I'm done, I plan on starting my study for STAT and also get some work experience at a veterinary clinic! I heard the ATAR estimate was 97.25 but would it still be possible with a 94-96 atar? Also in regards to alternative pathways, I'm considering animal bioscience for one year and then transferring, but what would my chances of being able to transfer be? If there is a usyd veterinary student here, what is the course like? How did you get in? Is it a good?!

amour

Female
HSC
I can only imagine myself as a vet in the future, it's THE ONLY thing I want to study at university.. and of course usyd is my first preference! I'm a 2012 HSC student and I honestly do not think I am able to achieve such a high atar... I'm in the middle of trials at the moment and after I'm done, I plan on starting my study for STAT and also get some work experience at a veterinary clinic! I heard the ATAR estimate was 97.25 but would it still be possible with a 94-96 atar? Also in regards to alternative pathways, I'm considering animal bioscience for one year and then transferring, but what would my chances of being able to transfer be? If there is a usyd veterinary student here, what is the course like? How did you get in? Is it a good?!
Hey,
I'll be applying for entry into Veterinary Science at USYD too : )
I was a 2011 HSC'er and I've had some time to research and ask questions about the degree.
Regarding the ATAR cutoff, you can't be accepted into the course unless you have the minimum ATAR. (USYD doesn't do bonus points. Unless you apply via the rural entry scheme?)
The ATAR cutoff has been decreasing in the last 3 years, so hopefully this trend will follow on, hey?

As for Animal and bioscience, it is highly competitive to transfer into Vet because as you can imagine most students studying that degree are aiming to transfer into Vet. It's not an easy course either from what I've heard with 5 full days of uni a week. ALso if your applying as a non standard recent school leaver (1 year uni) as supposed to recent school leaver, you will be ranked on your STAT score (at least 170+ to be competitive compared to a minimum of 150 if you applied straight from year 12) and also ranked on your animal handling experience. Which in my mind would be hard!

My story is I didn't get into Vet in 2012 because I didn't have animal handling experience. So I took a year off and I'm applying again.
You can try this route if you get an ATAR you think would be sufficient.

Goodluck and maybe ill see you next year at Vet school : )

zxreth

HSC
Hey,
I was a 2011 HSC'er and I've had some time to research and ask questions about the degree.
Regarding the ATAR cutoff, you can't be accepted into the course unless you have the minimum ATAR. (USYD doesn't do bonus points. Unless you apply via the rural entry scheme?)

wrong. USYD does do bonus points, you don't have to apply for it, they have some method of automatically taking it into account. A friend of mine got an atar of 94 and got into physio at USYD which has an atar requirement of ~96 i think.

amour

Female
HSC
Hey,

wrong. USYD does do bonus points, you don't have to apply for it, they have some method of automatically taking it into account. A friend of mine got an atar of 94 and got into physio at USYD which has an atar requirement of ~96 i think.
My bad, thanks for clearing that up.
Heres a link on info about the flexible entry scheme Kim
http://sydney.edu.au/future_student...missions/special_entry_schemes/flexible.shtml

kimmmj5

HSC
N/A
Minimum atar is the cut off atar? But I remember going to the open day at the beginning of the year and they talked about how STAT is a filter- where if you don't get at least 150/200 then you're not even considered. However depending on your STAT mark your ATAR does or doesn't have to be as high? So it's similar to med I guess. For both of you, are you applying as non-recent school leavers? So you are both just sending in your GPA, not ATAR? Thanks for replying on this thread, really appreciate it! :)

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
Minimum atar is the cut off atar? But I remember going to the open day at the beginning of the year and they talked about how STAT is a filter- where if you don't get at least 150/200 then you're not even considered. However depending on your STAT mark your ATAR does or doesn't have to be as high? So it's similar to med I guess. For both of you, are you applying as non-recent school leavers? So you are both just sending in your GPA, not ATAR? Thanks for replying on this thread, really appreciate it! :)
You don't have to get the cut off atar if you are considered for rural entry scheme (or maybe flexible entry), my friend who is doing vet science told me that there was someone who got 86ish or something and still got into vet science since they were considered for rural entry scheme. If you don't think you can be considered then you need to get the cut off atar (which is subject to change this year) AND get least 150/200 for STAT AND have a commitment statement. A commitment statement is basically writing down in a form what work experience or experience with animals you have done and they have to see if it's sufficient enough. Probably look for work experience you can do in the holidays after HSC because applications usually close after HSC. Also a high STAT mark DOES NOT make up for a lower ATAR, they only care if you pass or not in STAT.

Coookies

HSC
About HOW hard is it to transfer to vet from bioscience? How many people usually get accepted each year? And would you still need to do the STAT/commitment statement then?

amour

Female
HSC
Hey
even though i've taken a gap year im still considered a recent school leaver as i haven't completed a year of uni and im applying on the basis of my atar.

amour

Female
HSC
About HOW hard is it to transfer to vet from bioscience? How many people usually get accepted each year? And would you still need to do the STAT/commitment statement then?
well its competitive. most doing animal and bio science what to transfer to vet. animal and bioscience are 5 full days of uni. yes you still need stat (at least 170+ to be competitive and you will be ranked on your stat score) and commitment statement will also form part of your ranking, along with you GPA

Coookies

HSC
Whats GPA?
Is vet science 5 full days as well?
And is there generally a number that they accept for transfers?

amour

Female
HSC
Whats GPA?
Is vet science 5 full days as well?
And is there generally a number that they accept for transfers?
gpa= grade point average calculated by your uni marks :)
yes 5 days also.
Not sure about last question. Maybe email them :)

x3Reii

HSC
I have a friend that got into vet science this year. He's ATAR was 97.55 so he only just managed.

He's timetable is packed, five full days. Vet has one of the highest contact hours - even higher than engineering. You need to do STAT and score above 150. Yes, STAT is used as a filter. Everyone he gets below 150 will not be considered. Also most of you guys were wrong, vet doesn't give ANY bonus point UNLESS it is through the rural entry scheme. The automatic points that you guys were talking about is void for vet.

Most of animal bioscience will want to transfer to vet so you must do well in that course. I'd say at least a 5.5 GPA (which is midway between a credit and a distinction). Also, experience is very necessary - go to the vet or local animal shelter and ask for volunteer work, they'll gladly accept you. They also have another criteria which is an essay/commitment form you have to hand in. My friend did it on declawing of kittens. I'm not to sure the details, you'll have to look into that.

However, I'm hearing that they're changing vet into a post-graduate course in 2013/14. Don't quote me on that though, I'm only hearing rumours about it.

pjiggy

HSC
I know of three friends who managed to transfer into vet from bioscience.
They just scraped Distinction averages for the two years they did bioscience and both worked on a casual basis at vet clinics.
Yes, you still need to do the STAT and commitment statement to get in :)

Jewls

HSC
N/A
I can only imagine myself as a vet in the future, it's THE ONLY thing I want to study at university...I plan on starting my study for STAT and also get some work experience at a veterinary clinic!
Doesn't that seem a bit weird that it's the only thing you can see yourself doing but you don't have any experience?

The veterinary profession is facing many challenges at the moment. On top of the euthanasias vets are having to increase their sales skills to ensure survival, see here:
http://ausvetnet.wordpress.com/
“Critical examination of the relevant data must lead to the conclusion that more will become disappointed and disillusioned, underemployed or exploited, or at least unable to pursue the career of their dreams. Having survived a demanding course with the highest entry levels, and graduated with a high level of debt, they are likely to find that the only positions available are at the lowest salary levels.“
Professor Trevor Heath, Previous Veterinary Dean at University of Queensland. Australian Veterinary Journal 2008

amour

Female
HSC
Doesn't that seem a bit weird that it's the only thing you can see yourself doing but you don't have any experience?

The veterinary profession is facing many challenges at the moment. On top of the euthanasias vets are having to increase their sales skills to ensure survival, see here:
http://ausvetnet.wordpress.com/
“Critical examination of the relevant data must lead to the conclusion that more will become disappointed and disillusioned, underemployed or exploited, or at least unable to pursue the career of their dreams. Having survived a demanding course with the highest entry levels, and graduated with a high level of debt, they are likely to find that the only positions available are at the lowest salary levels.“
Professor Trevor Heath, Previous Veterinary Dean at University of Queensland. Australian Veterinary Journal 2008

It's widely known they have one of the lowest salary levels and progression compared to other degrees.
But hey,
do what you love and never work a day.

Jewls

HSC
N/A
It's widely known they have one of the lowest salary levels and progression compared to other degrees.
But hey, do what you love and never work a day.
How do you know you'll love it if you've never done it?
It isn't as widely well known that vets also have one of the highest suicide rates.

Last edited:

kelvin200663

HSC
Sorry if this counts as digging up an old thread, but i want to know more about the commitment statement. Do I need to have done A LOT of volunteer/work experience? I've spent 7 days out at a clinic working both in rural areas and non-rural, is that sufficient?

Jewls

HSC
N/A
Hey Kelvin,
A good article is this one if you know someone at a university that can get access to it:
Veterinary students' understanding of a career in practice. 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20562377
It's from the United Kingdom which is quite similar to Australia and has a survey of how many hours of experience veterinary students had at application.

I am very surprised that 'amour' from this thread was rejected based on low amount of experience. Especially considering their ATAR was above the cutoff and that USyd entry requirements have been decreasing. The Veterinary Deans Council has suggested that veterinary student quality is decreasing due to the poor employment and income prospects offered by a veterinary degree. USyd has the highest unemployment rate for veterinary graduates at around 16% (almost one in five graduates) and this is rising. Maybe one way USyd is trying to reduce their unemployment rate is to try and recruit students based on non-academic skills to ensure they will have a better chance at jobs. When gaining experience in veterinary work, one must also consider where supposed 'shortages' are within veterinary employment. For example universities may be more keen to recruit a graduate who has some experience with animal research and is keen to do postgraduate study such as a PhD.

Last edited:

liz2814

HSC
Hi guys, my atar is 97.05 and I really want to do veterinary science next year, I passed STAT (got over 150) I've done around 80 days of work experience and I also ranked in the state for senior science. Will they take into consideration my state ranking, and also do you think the atar will go down enough for me to get in this year (this year it was either 97.35 or .25 I've heard differently from different sites and it has been progressively going down every year)? Perhaps in the late round? thanks any advice would be appreciated :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)