VB one day series [ind, aus, zim] (1 Viewer)

Who'll win?

• INDIA

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • AUSTRALIA

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • ZIMBABWE

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • *vote here if you couldnt give a toss, and are only voting for the sake of voting*

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

Maddy

Damien Martyn Rocks!
nah, me and my friend are making a sign saying 'marry us martyn!' and wearing veils! I'm sure he will say YES!

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
it looks like he may be playing the finals series.. a travesty!

and Kasprowich for Bichel? i like Bichel, i think he has been doing well. Theres no need to bring in a domestic player with no international experience for some time into a finals series against a formidable batting side.

i reckon they should think about recalling Dean Jones to the side, now theres a one day playa ;)

Mojoman

Interstellar Overdrive
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by reynaldo
it looks like he may be playing the finals series.. a travesty!

and Kasprowich for Bichel? i like Bichel, i think he has been doing well. Theres no need to bring in a domestic player with no international experience for some time into a finals series against a formidable batting side.
i agree.. bichel's a champ and he has been performing well

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
kasprowicz is in better form with the ball, well domestically he is. but the domestic competition is probaly alot vbetter than the zimbwabeans :p

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
what's with sachin and sehwag? they need to have some practice in the middle don't they , if they wanna win against Australia, so why were they so rash getting out for cheap runs.

oh well hope they get some form back for the finals...

how good was pathan!! YAY, but they didn't show the after match interviews on tv :( wanted to know what they said!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by choco
what's with sachin and sehwag? they need to have some practice in the middle don't they , if they wanna win against Australia, so why were they so rash getting out for cheap runs.

oh well hope they get some form back for the finals...

how good was pathan!! YAY, but they didn't show the after match interviews on tv :( wanted to know what they said!
well its always hard to back from injury and make some runs in the WACA. :D

yeah, pathan was very good- but they also need kumble for the finals though- so yeah, india are a bit disadvantaged...

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
now theres gonna be a super game, with australia against the rest of the world?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
ahh yes, i found an article abt. the world game that choco mentioned:

ICC should be wary of over-innovation

Wisden Comment by Andrew Miller

February 4, 2004

The International Cricket Council has given its backing to plans for a $1.3 million "Best versus The Rest" super series, a proposal which was first raised last year in response to Australia's all-conquering performances. The plan is for a biennial series of one Test and three ODI games between the top-ranked team and an XI compiled from the remaining nine nations.

The idea was supported at a recent ICC board meeting, and has in-principal approval from all 10 Test-playing nations. The plans will be discussed in greater depth at the ICC's next board meeting in New Zealand next month, where dates and venues are expected to be pencilled in. South Africa is the most likely country to host the inaugural event.

Such a series is certainly an attractive proposition for sponsors and fans alike, but there are two over-riding considerations to be taken on board. First and foremost, there is already a widespread concern about the amount of cricket being played. Australia, who on current form would be the top-ranked team for such an event, fly to Sri Lanka for five ODIs and three Tests next week, only days after the completion of one of their toughest domestic seasons in memory. Tim May, the chief executive of the Federation of International Cricketers' Associations (FICA), has already raised the issue on the players' behalfs.

Secondly, there is the continuing spectre of corruption at the top level of the game. Earlier this week, a confidential report from the ICC's Anti Corruption Unit was leaked to a Pakistani newspaper, which suggested that their team had deliberately underperformed in two tournaments prior to the World Cup last year. And during England's recent tour of Sri Lanka, there was the curious case of the cash in Marvan Atapattu's hotel-room, which is still under investigation despite claims from the Sri Lankan board that nothing untoward had occurred.

A Best versus the Rest series would be particularly susceptible to the bookies, for the simple reason that the matches could not be given official international status at least, not for Test cricket at any rate, where the precedent was set back in 1970, when England took on a Rest of the World side when their South Africa series was cancelled at short notice.

In truth, it proved to be a highly memorable summer and hugely popular, with the likes of Garry Sobers and Mike Procter in full flight, and a similar team toured Australia two years later, for a contest that Kerry O'Keeffe described as "as tough as an Ashes series". But cricket has altered beyond recognition in the intervening three decades, and it is questionable whether such thrills and spills could be recreated in the modern age. Recent World XI ventures have been rather gimmicky events, while two years ago, when South Africa and India played an unofficial Test at Centurion in the wake of the Mike Denness affair, Shaun Pollock who scored a century admitted that the game had lacked its usual intensity.

The ICC, however, has already rejected all such concerns, and all ten countries have agreed in principle, so the only hope would be for nothing but the very best XI to be put forward for the series much as the British Lions come together every four years in rugby. For the record, Wisden's dream team would be:

1 Michael Vaughan (Eng), 2 Jacques Kallis (SA), 3 Rahul Dravid (Ind), 4 Brian Lara (WI, capt), 5 Sachin Tendulkar (Ind), 6 VVS Laxman (Ind), 7 Mark Boucher (SA, wk), 8 Shaun Pollock (SA), 9 Shane Bond (NZ), 10 Muttiah Muralitharan (SL), 11 Shoaib Akhtar (Pak).

But there is one fatal flaw to this proposal. And that is that the dream series has already been played. India's epic encounter with Australia this winter was the "best versus the best of the rest", and it could hardly have produced a more compelling contest. The ICC was right to think out loud about livening up international cricket after complaints about the one-sidedness of so many contests. But they did so on the assumption that Australia were unbeatable. Let's see how they fare in Sri Lanka under a new captain, before jumping to too many conclusions about the need to inject new life into the game.

Andrew Miller is assistant editor of Wisden Cricinfo in London.

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
yeah i heard on the news, if you want to see and find out more visit
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/04/1075853941822.html

it also has the cricketers that make up the teams both one day and test sides

i think it should be good they say it could arrive on our screens from early september next year, they want to play it in SA,
but i think it should start in Australia, since the world cup was just held there, last year

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)