values of contemporary society (1 Viewer)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
hey guys, i was just wondering how you define 'contemporary society'. this kinda helps me with my ext 1 eng postmodernism response. what are the values of this contemporary society.

for instance, contemporary society is selfish and materialistic as we can see demonstrated in the recent election where people voted 'low interest rates' as opposed to voting for something more concerned with social justice and equity.

thanks

HSC
nick1048 said:
values... define values for me please.

beliefs, what people say 'should be' or 'oughta be' what THEY think 'should happen' stuff like shit. Values are extremely subjective and ALWAYS get in the way when trying to present an unbiased piece of work, so it could be argued that it a rare occurence that anything can be free of bias. Only pure sciences like maths wouldn't include bias.

malkin86

HSC
I think kids get bubblewrapped too much. Maybe "Children are valued not as people in their own rights, but as large toys."?? The world is dangerous today, but conditioning your kids to believe there is a rapist under every second bush isn't healthy, I believe.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
'Everything these days can be an used as an accessory' discuss in context to today's society.

malkin86

HSC
But.. it fits! Can you not see?

Value:
People would rather get experts in for everything than DIY.

walrusbear

HSC
if you're talking politically and want to generalise australia's values for sake of arguement look up 'economic rationalism'

most of the posters on this board swear by it

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i want biased opinions, not what you think other people would say.

just a question, when doing an essay on such a fucked up topic like postmodernism, how can it be possible to stay objective since any text can be interpreted as postmodern or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)