• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Values in Clueless and Emma (1 Viewer)

ladyzee

i need help with values from both texts, Clueless and Emma.

do i talk aout values from Emma and then the same values from Clueless? or do i talk about different values??? so confused..:S

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Talk about the similarties and differences in the values, thats what the module is aobut. Find the values, discuss them both!

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
but don't talk about themes, like marriage for example.. you need to talk about the values from those themes, like marrying for love or marrying in the same social status. something like that is rather simple, because its pretty similar between the two texts.

Simmey

HSC
You have to look at the changing and maintained values between the texts
Some examples are

gentility and propriety versus image
Marriage versus sex and dating
welfare (like patronage) versus charity (pismo beach)
education versus accomplishments

and the themes and issues can include

education
marriage and dating
wealth and status
roles of womne
patriarchial society
spiritual and moral growth
and equality

like with gentility and propriety versus image you look at Emma where people a judged by how they act according to their class status and their manners. This is shown through the immense reaction of Emma being rude to Miss Bates at Box Hill and mr Knightly scolding her saying 'how could you be so unfeeling towards Miss Bates" and Emma's depressed state after the box hill incident is mirrored by the weather that follows and it becomes rainy and gloomy but then in Clueless, you see manners are not that important which is shown by the students dissmissive attitude to teachers. instead of manner and propriety, heckerling has made Image the thing that people are judged on which it manifested in the opening montage with Cher's voice over 'looks like a noxema commercial doesnt it" and as Cher carefully selects her daily outfit through a computer to the David Bowie song 'Fashion'

i hope i'm helping
its good study for me too!

ladyzee

oh my gosh...ive just realised how stuffed i am for this english exam...:(

thanks for all ur help but!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)