Values for Frankenstein vs Bladerunner (1 Viewer)

Lukybear

HSC
Now it is generally understood that each context of the texts, was dominated by science (frankenstein) and commerce (br). Could we say that these were the values of each context at their time?

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
even though i hate english....

a text can be written to reflect the context of that time...but, the lessons raised are timeless and some use of the text can be seen regardless of context ..

Lukybear

HSC
even though i hate english....

a text can be written to reflect the context of that time...but, the lessons raised are timeless and some use of the text can be seen regardless of context ..
o jeez, i didnt want a generic sentence lolz

I mean, would science for FR's context be seen as a value? What about commerce in Scott's time?

Dora Explorer

HSC
Science wouldn't be a value as such, rather, Shelley can be seen as critiquing 19th century what with the scientific discoveries that were prevalent in her time. Essentially, shes putting science in a negative light, as a way of not only challenging but taking up the role of god which would have been frowned upon in society, and also the monster that arises from Victor's expermentations, leading to subsequent destruction and chaos. Remember the Romantics, which was linked to Shelley's time, were critical of science, so in a way this is exhibitied in her work.

And with Scott's time, you need to familiarise yourself with the context of the 1980s and do some research there. That era was particularly associated with corporate greed, that "greed is good" which is manifestly epitomised by the Tyrell Corporation - they're total neglect of humanity and focus on making profit, etc.

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
o jeez, i didnt want a generic sentence lolz

I mean, would science for FR's context be seen as a value? What about commerce in Scott's time?
lol, well it is going to be the basis of your essay lol

ValentinesM

HSC
there was a strong connection between Nature and humanity. Nature was often viewed as God's immanence on earth and hence humanity paid respect to it (with the exception of Victor of course). however, this strong bond obviously no longer exists in Blade Runner given the complete annihilation of Nature by rampant commercial pursuits, embodied by Tyrell and his complete disregard of Nature in the production of replicants. Instead of worshipping Nature as was the case in Shelley's era, humanity has become the guardian of Nature. also this relationship has reversed, what hasn't changed is the need for the presence of Nature for the wellbeing of humanity - in BR for example, there are attempts to 'manufacture' animals --> humans are desirous of Nature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)