V for Vendetta (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Well that certainly sucked balls. I found it far too cliche, in particular the overuse of similar scenes which are then ineffectively combined with flashbacks to make the audience cringe, and the fact that the ending was so predictable, and rather dissatisfying. There was also the little matter that a government like that would own all the postal services, and it's hardly logical that they wouldn't check on a shipment of 100 000+ boxes.

Anyway, what did you guys think of it?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Empire gave it 5 stars...SBS movie show 3...

I'll probably give it a look when the time comes around.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Hugo Weaving? He's about as present as Keifer Sutherland is in Phone Booth.

Oh and don't let my opinion discourage you, I went with about ten friends and they all absolutely loved it.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Seen the previews. Looks fucktacularly horrible. Much hate for thinly veiled dystopic satire.

p-unit

HSC
preview look good will try to watch on the weekend
[ice age 2 is comming soon i think best movie ever]

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I liked it, possibly because I haven't read the graphic novel. The politics of it is obviously quite half baked, and the romance very much tacked on, but still pretty good fun. 4 stars out of 5 from me.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
It was interesting enough, but god I thought the killing scenes were so tacky :/

And obviously it doesn't matter in a movie-developmental sense, but I wanted to see his frickin face!!!

Lol when she (I forgot her name) kissed the mask.

X

xeuyrawp

Argonaut said:
The whole point of not showing V's face was that, as a charachter, he is neutral. He represents everybody, and therefore nobody. You don't sympathise with his character, you sympatise with his cause, and that's what the story is all about. V doesn't even believe he has a name, as he points out to Evey; he tells her "you may call me V", but he doesn't outright say "my name is V". He even comments on her asking the name of a man in a mask. You can hear it in his introduction, the 'V Monologue', which basically translates as:In this way, V is everybody; the mask is a very deliberate way of keeping him neutral.

That is why you don't see his face. Even in the end, Evey chooses not to see who he is as a person, and instead continues his cause.
They say that in the film...:S

Argonaut said:
They missed the whole point of the graphic novels. Sure, they touched on terror being a political tool against an oppressive government and most of the themes from the books, but they didn't do it enough.

No wonder Alan Moore distanced himself from it.
What?

The books were different in many more aspects to the film. Their version of comedy would have made the audience uneasy.

The oppressive government thing was highlighted so much that it was the only mode that they carried far too frequently from the book. I don't see how you could say that they didn't address it enough. It was so in the foreground that you wouldn't even be able to call it a 'theme' it was just a plot element...

Alan Moore said he distanced himself from it because he said that he didn't like their transformation of the comedy, and that he felt that filming the story would destroy the real essence of the books, which was true.

For example, look at the scene where V did his pirate broadcast. Look at what he did in the book after the filming stopped -- the bit about him being a disgruntled employee. That was hilarious! If that were put in the film, though, it would have been plain silly.

That's why Moore didn't want anything to do with it. The film could not be like the books and yet hold the same meaning and be popular.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mongke

HSC
^^ nice avatar.

i want to see this film, one reason is because John Hurt plays the dictator when in 1984 he was Winston Smith. hehe, those producers do have a sence of humour.

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
I just saw it today! & i havent read the novel & i dont usually watch those types of films...but

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!.....i dunno, a man in black, wearing a mask & a really sexy voice.....just gets to me! Who cares if i didnt see the face:)

though it oddest thing was the movie was half-full of ppl of different ages, right!?! But my friends & i understood most of the jokes in movie.

Even the Benny Hill moment we got straight away..the others didnt..freaky penrith ppl

seeka_train

HSC
I actually liked this movie. I thought it was an interesting blend of current politics and an attempt to combine it with the original graphic novels (not that i've read them, seems to have done a crap job with that).

I found the story easy to believe, no loose ends. But i did find it slightly violent and graphic in the fighting scenes. The blood spurting everywhere... :eek:. I also didn't like Evey falling for V. Seemed a little forced and almost incestuous since they are so similar and paralled one anothers storylines.

Overall, i liked it, I found it better than Inside Man.

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
The good thing with Hugo being V, was that acting with a mask throughout the moive is one of the hardest things to do....though i was very impressed with him..because he was able to move & express himself & u would know wot he was thinking/feeling without having to see facial expressions:)

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Thing is it wasn't him half the time.

katy-g

HSC
I LOVED LOVED LOVED it. Seriously. i was just like... whoa.

Saw it on Saturday with my BF and he loved it even more.

Hugo Weaving is a god. His voice is just so... hmmm..

yea i'll shut up now ;-)

Mongke

HSC
just saw it with my sister. she found it horrific at times but i must say, i saw John Howard, George Bush, Adolf Hitler, Tony Blair, Condalesa (wth, dont know how to spell) Rize, and the entire Bush admin get slashed to pieces then blown up to the sound of the 1812 overture.... could you ask for anything more from a film? absolutely loved it. thats the kinda fantacy i enjoy played out on the films :ninja:

katy-g

HSC
So true. It was just brilliant. Ugh, must go and see it again tomorrow...

"Voil*! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-*-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V."

Mongke

HSC
katy-g said:
So true. It was just brilliant. Ugh, must go and see it again tomorrow...

"Voil�*! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-�*-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V."
great stuff! :D

Elvin

HSC
Movie was crap...but Natalie Portman was GREAT! OHHH RIGHHHT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)