UWS UAI-Cut Offs So Low, Why ? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanM

HSC
i was just wondering why the UAIs for UWS are so low compared to every other uni, where the coarse is exactly the same. Does this mean that that the UWS 'is not as good' as the other uni's ?
Here are afew examples..

B Engineering (civil) UAI:80 uni: UNSW
B Engineering (civil) UAI:80 uni: University of sydney
B Engineering (civil) UAI:78 uni: UOW
B Engineering (civil) UAI:60 uni: UWS

There are so many coarses that are like this...

B Psychology UAI: 90 uni: UNSW
B Psychology UAI: 92.4 uni: UOW
B Psychology UAI: 80 uni: UWS

So can anyone explain this ?? thank you...

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
The cutoff the the course I want to do - B Design (Communication Design) - is like 70 at UWS, but above 90 everywhere else. Looking at what each course involved, I noticed the UWS course was alot more like a graphics design TAFE course, with heaps of boring theory etc..

Tabris

HSC
UAI is calculated by demand and supply and the quality of demand

high demand for the subject will mean higher UAI

high demand for the subject by students who all have high UAI means even higher UAI

which explains why some uni has higher UAI

klh

HSC
i hope this thread does not go off track again...but anyway, although UWS is not as popular and known as say USyd, it does not mean that its not as good as the other Unis, you have heard a stereotype, one that has been perpetuated since the past as UWS had alot of internal problems that it has yet to sort out (more about its organisation than than its education) but UWS has become more modern and all and its Engineering courses are fully accredited (Civil is) which indicates that it passes a certain standard.
Yes, as above, UAI entry for courses are based on demand rather than so called difficulty.

DeanM

HSC
klh said:
its Engineering courses are fully accredited (Civil is) which indicates that it passes a certain standard.
difficulty.

is that true ? Because i am applying for civil engineering next year. I am applying at wollongong because i have also heard they have a very good engineering facility... that and i live about 15-20 mins away from there...
So if i were to get accepted in UWS i wouldnt regret it because of it doesnt have a bad engineering facility ?

thanks...

Spirits

HSC
N/A
one problem with UWS is 'cost cutting'. Whether this happens at other places I dont know...

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
oh god.. i wish i found this thread sooner. bwhaha. why are they so low? bwhahahahha

L

LaraB

As everyone has said - supply and demand

a lot of reasons for this - ignorant people who have in their head that you gotta go to a city uni to get a job thus decreases number of people competing for the uni

each year the uni quite significantly has increased the number of places available as a whole so logically, if the same number of people apply but more places are made available, lower UAI people can get in

a lot of people accept an offer for a course lower than they want eg B Soc Sc(criminology) to enable them to take advantage of the guaranteed internal transfer into say, B Laws - ie B laws cut off is 90-ish... but say they got 89 and just missed and really wanna do B Laws - they do a lower course for a year and transfer in

it's a young uni

A lot of people don't want to go to uws for logistical reasons - eg friends chose mac uni over UWs For Bach of Arts simply coz they didn't wanna have to travel to Bankstown for uni coz Mac was more convenient

There's heaps of reasons - a lot of trheads cover this so have a look thru some prior threads...

but i mean.. the cut off's aren't representative of the peopl ewho get in - eg its hypothetically possible that say, B Combined Laws last year was 90 cut off - it's possible everyone who got in got 99+ except for the last person accepted who got 90

yeah i know it didn't happen but its possible... i mean, i got high 90's and went to uws even though i coulda gone elsewhere coz i thought the course was 'newer', more up to date and more applicable and practical etc.... whereas friends frmo school chose city unis for the opposite reason - coz they were older, more established, more theory based etc...

a lot of people mistake age and advertising and Cut off's for a uni with quality of teaching and staff and opportunities you'll end up with...

Plus - UWS isn't significantly much lower for most courses than all the unis... UNSW, Usyd, UTS and Mac are generally higher... there's still CSU, UNE, ANU, CU, ACU, La Trobe, Southern Cross, Newcastle, Wollongong,

for a uni with an establishment date only in 1997, its doing better comparatively as far as results vs duration of operation than pretty much every uni.... especially since for those of you who take UAI cut off as representative of quality, it's doing better on average than 9/13 unis in NSW.... :)

L

LaraB

natstar said:
UWS communication courses are known to have a better practical to theory ratio than other uni's
i remember being at a careers type day thing at Usyd and when we asked "how practical is the course?" for Commuinication (journalism) t hey told us like it was a good thing :confused: "oh its heaps of theory for the 1st 4 or 5 semester but in the 5th and 6th semester you get to use cameras!

and i was like um...woot... my bro's 2nd year and already usin practical stuff? and he's doin combined so if he'd done straight communication he'd have sdone practical stuff in the 1st year! :rolleyes:

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
natstar said:
UWS communication courses are known to have a better practical to theory ratio than other uni's
Really? From the course descriptions I read, it really didn't sound like it..
But if this is the case, and if it is worth going to UWS to do a communication course (might have to find some people who do it), a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
LaraB said:
i remember being at a careers type day thing at Usyd and when we asked "how practical is the course?" for Commuinication (journalism) t hey told us like it was a good thing :confused: "oh its heaps of theory for the 1st 4 or 5 semester but in the 5th and 6th semester you get to use cameras!

and i was like um...woot... my bro's 2nd year and already usin practical stuff? and he's doin combined so if he'd done straight communication he'd have sdone practical stuff in the 1st year! :rolleyes:
I'm not talking about journalism, I'm talking about communication design.. which is what they now call graphics design.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
LaraB said:

usyd dont have a communications (journalism) course. thats uts. fucking reatrd uws'ers. :rolleyes:

L

LaraB

Jayphen said:
I'm not talking about journalism, I'm talking about communication design.. which is what they now call graphics design.
um....yeah and when did i say you were talking about journo?

it was a comment in reference to Natstar's comment about the practical nature of UWS communications courses compared to other places......

L

LaraB

absolution* said:
usyd dont have a communications (journalism) course. thats uts. fucking reatrd uws'ers. :rolleyes:
i meant the course that we were told was the 'equivalent' and supposedly better than a B comm(journalism studies) - i think it was B arts (media & communication) or something like that...

i don't remember the exact name because it was a "uni 4 a day" thing not an open day..

if you'er gonna be abusive just leave... it was useless comment to make

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
LaraB said:
um....yeah and when did i say you were talking about journo?

it was a comment in reference to Natstar's comment about the practical nature of UWS communications courses compared to other places......
She was talking to me, in regards to the course I want to do, and I was concerned that there is more theory involved than other unis.. She said there is actually more practical than other unis, so I assumed your post was also indirectly related to my initial post, and you had misunderstood which course I meant .. Sorry.

I looked the course up, what I would actually be wanting to do is a Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication)

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
natstar said:
You mean B Design (Visual Communication)
http://handbook.uws.edu.au/hbook/course.asp?course=1571.3
I wanted to do this originally waaay back in year 12 and I got into COFA for it, but then changed my mine. I also got into KvB. I'd reccommend a private college like KvB or Billy Blue etc over a university for that sorta course.
I can't afford a private college. :( I'd do anything to get into Billy Blue, but I can't pay $17k a year.

Do you know anything about the B of Design (in regards to how practical it is?)

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
natstar said:
There is a HECS HELP like program called FEE help for private college. You get commonwealth assistence like HECS up to 50k, then like HECS you pay it back after you meet a certain income threshold.
I know nothing about any of this. Where can I find information?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)