UWS Medicine Degree DILEMMA! (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
accept any med offer, and don't be another conceited med student who think they're the best thing since sliced bread.
Actually, I suggest rejecting the UWS offer if you get one in main round because you personally don't really want to go there.
unless I get a main round then I don't really care

HSC
Uni Grad
Fatboi is correct, for specialities (ie RACS/RACP), they only consider the last two years before your application, and it is virtually impossible to apply for RACS/RACP two years out of uni. What does this mean? They really don't care about which uni you graduated from, or the marks you produced (unless its like some hectic uni medal). That being said, it doesn't really matter which uni you graduate from for med, I will still make fun of you just because its UWS, but honestly don't worry too much about it. The one good thing that I have heard about UWS (apart from iPads) is that their hospitals are very ethnic, and so you can expect to have a fairly good mix in your clinical training (at UNSW all I do is see mostly old patients sigh...)

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Pretty sure a patient will not fuss over where their doctor/nurses studied... and besides the Campbelltown campus is nice - and you'll befriend people from degrees other than medicine.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
the day you get into a college

is the day you move to america and apply to Maricopa Community College

your "credentials" is everything you do AFTER grad. To say that ANY post grad medical college would EVEN look at your university is just ridiculous.

As for my references, how about you look up the CV scoring system for RACS/RACP etc

advice to op

accept any med offer, and don't be another conceited med student who think they're the best thing since sliced bread.
you're very naive to think thats all that matters. a few points on an arbitrary scale? yeah okay. do you honestly think they will openly say that which uni you go to matters? ofc not. the "we only consider what you did in your last 2 years" bs is just their way of covering their ass from being accused of discrimination. but let me just tell u this theres a little (big) thing called prejudice/elitism that is rife amongst consultants in the city hospitals.
im not bashing any of the non-go8 med schools (so if you're mad cuz i bashed your uni, dont be). im merely giving the OP the full picture from my perspective after seeing this happen first hand to people i know.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Pretty sure a patient will not fuss over where their doctor/nurses studied... and besides the Campbelltown campus is nice - and you'll befriend people from degrees other than medicine.
100% true, but thats not what is being debated here.

fatboi

HSC
N/A
you're very naive to think thats all that matters. a few points on an arbitrary scale? yeah okay. do you honestly think they will openly say that which uni you go to matters? ofc not. the "we only consider what you did in your last 2 years" bs is just their way of covering their ass from being accused of discrimination. but let me just tell u this theres a little (big) thing called prejudice/elitism that is rife amongst consultants in the city hospitals.
im not bashing any of the non-go8 med schools (so if you're mad cuz i bashed your uni, dont be). im merely giving the OP the full picture from my perspective after seeing this happen first hand to people i know.
I'm not saying there isn't discrimination, there always is. older consultants (esp) will always discriminate on age, race, gender, school etc. You can't really change that. But the advice that you should not accept UWS if it's your only choice is not sound. You're better off finishing med in 5 years at UWS, than shooting for UNSW/USyD in later years. Get in the hospitals asap and prove you're worth something, and there will be someone there to support you in your apps.

planino

HSC
I thought that the Med courses were similar between unis cos they're all accredited by some organisation?

It's sad how how high-end people in medicine are still prejudiced (judging by what I've read here).Of all people, you could at least expect doctors in those high end positions (or in any position) to abandon elitism

m.jakaran

HSC
No brainer. Postgraduate entry is extremely competitive and your university has minimal impact on your prospects in medicine (the main factor being what you do in PGY1,2,3).

Immortalp00n

HSC
No brainer. Postgraduate entry is extremely competitive and your university has minimal impact on your prospects in medicine (the main factor being what you do in PGY1,2,3).
postgrad years?
and what do u mean "what you do"
what is there to do? and like what can u do to make urself stand out from other students in turning improving your prospects in medicine?

fatboi

HSC
N/A
postgrad years?
and what do u mean "what you do"
what is there to do? and like what can u do to make urself stand out from other students in turning improving your prospects in medicine?
post graduate years, so after your med degree

you can:
1) get good refs from consultants by actually being good at med? Trust me, you'll all spectrum of med students, some bad, some great, some average.
2) research/publishing (clinical research for example). Usually done through the hospital with consultants etc.
3) teaching/presenting
4) various additional diplomas/courses you can do to
5) higher degrees, e.g. PhDs

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
I thought that the Med courses were similar between unis cos they're all accredited by some organisation?

It's sad how how high-end people in medicine are still prejudiced (judging by what I've read here).Of all people, you could at least expect doctors in those high end positions (or in any position) to abandon elitism
its true that med courses are very tightly regulated. but they are still very different as unis adopt different models of learning and have different structures. hence why some unis are 6 years while others are 5 despite providing the same exact same degree (MBBS).

Joga Bonito

HSC
Yeah don't go to UWS. I'm there now and it's horrible. The students there are friendly and outgoing, and they actually help you out when you need it. Like what the hell. Our buildings already 6 years old and there's specks dust EVERYWHERE. The common room doesn't even have an ironing board. The receptionist says always says good morning to me whenever I say hi. It's ridiculous.

I suggest you talk to someone who went to, or is going to UWS. I don't have a clue how your med school might affect your prospects in the future. I guess I never thought about that. I'm one to take things as it comes. If someones going to judge you for the uni you went rather than the physician you are, then I wouldn't really want to work with people like that. Different people have different goals though so yeah, whatever

If you want to study medicine then accept the offer. If people are going to judge you for going to UWS and not somewhere else, then so be it. Why does that even matter to you? I kind of like the negative stigma people sometimes associate with it

My 2 cents :)

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah don't go to UWS. I'm there now and it's horrible. The students there are friendly and outgoing, and they actually help you out when you need it. Like what the hell. Our buildings already 6 years old and there's specks dust EVERYWHERE. The common room doesn't even have an ironing board. The receptionist says always says good morning to me whenever I say hi. It's ridiculous.

I suggest you talk to someone who went to, or is going to UWS. I don't have a clue how your med school might affect your prospects in the future. I guess I never thought about that. I'm one to take things as it comes. If someones going to judge you for the uni you went rather than the physician you are, then I wouldn't really want to work with people like that. Different people have different goals though so yeah, whatever

If you want to study medicine then accept the offer. If people are going to judge you for going to UWS and not somewhere else, then so be it. Why does that even matter to you? I kind of like the negative stigma people sometimes associate with it

My 2 cents :)

Agree with this guy.

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Just go for it.

My dream since I was 12 was to get into medicine. I failed the UMAT horrifically & got a much lower ATAR than I expected- especially for a medicine degree.

It is incredibly hard to get into even if you apply everywhere. What happens if you reject it, and don't get into postgrad?

Take the offer and get thankful that you have been offered medicine, and that you will still be close to your family!

Last edited:

Dylanamali

HSC
Just go for it.

My dream since I was 12 was to get into medicine. I failed the UMAT horrifically & got a much lower ATAR than I expected- especially for a medicine degree.

It is incredibly hard to get into even if you apply everywhere. What happens if you reject it, and don't get into postgrad?

Take the offer and get thankful that you have been offered medicine, and that you will still be close to your family!
Agreed,

Congratulations on JCU Med!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)