uws is shit (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan A

HSC
Cape said:
The government cut funding to universities. Other universities raised their fees and HECS. Now, which would you prefer - to pay more or loose a couple of classes - personally, i'd prefer to loose a couple of classes. You still have many forms of communication with lecturers and other students.

As much as it seems right, I wouldn't listen to what the unions talk about, its generally missing the point. UWS doesn't charge anywhere near as much as say USyd. It would sot me $6,000 a year to do law at UWS, compared to $18,000 at Usyd.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I transferred over from UNSW to UWS and minus the fact that yes, UWS does have to deal with budget cuts and problems more than other universities do - but I'd take that, their way of teaching and the overall atmosphere over UNSW any day.

luke_waldon

quit bitchin'. If you don't like it, leave. Lots off people drop out by the end of first semester anyway. Were all in the same boat. I like the fact that there are plently of people to get to know.

Rayanaldo

HSC
N/A
christ_ine said:
I transferred over from UNSW to UWS and minus the fact that yes, UWS does have to deal with budget cuts and problems more than other universities do - but I'd take that, their way of teaching and the overall atmosphere over UNSW any day.

Whats wrong with UNSW?

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Nothing is wrong with UNSW. As natstar pointed out earlier UWS is split into several campuses, making it easier for students and staff to access each other - plus the environment is slightly less stressful. Unlike many other universities where there are 35,000 milling around the place.

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
yeh i rkn, its kool, derz nuffin wrong with it, infact i rkn its da best uni around giving so many opportunities for ppl who wanna study, ppl who dont like it should not be there.

KOfGHS

HSC
N/A
Trust me mate Im at Campbelltown and you wouldnt have 400 people in a lecture or a tute. Im doing to Med Science Units and there would be maybe 250 in each of them whichj is fine and the labs are about 25 which is fine. The campus is nice, the people are cool. Uni is what u make it, u cant expect Uws to to have the resources of USYD or UTS when they have thousands and thousands of students on 6 campuses.
I have friends at USyd who have to sit on the floor or stand during lectures and dont get given any notes or unit outlines and have to print everything themselves, there is also no parking and a lack of resources for all the students.

Have positive attitude and just try to enjoy it, like everyone has said Uni is what you make it

spark

Hmm.. yes apart from the overcrowded classrooms and fickle parking (parking has been relatively easy.. except today, I had to park on this muddy thing out of desperation), UWS is great (or Parra campus is.. I think Werrington is rather boring) and as christine pointed out, a less stressful environment.

I actually find these small quirks highly amusing. :D Maybe they add something to the charm of the uni. :p

shane_86

HSC
who the f*ck cares 400 ppl 250 ppl its all the same and yes for the last time thats how many ppl are in the biology tutorial not 15 20 or 25 or even 30. at least 200 or maybe even 300 ppl for the bio tutorial its a whole lecture theatre full and yes it is a tutorial not a lecture. i dont care what uni i go to or its rep as long as it gets me where i want to be and the shit with anatomy is fuckin bullshit so stop argueing with me and just agree

debugz

HSC
someone enrol this bozo into full stops and grammar 101.. kthx.

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
ahah yeh uni is uni dude, we shud be fankfull dat were in it, we wanted to go to uni so we have to put up with it no matter what excuses :D

HUNT

YEAH, I AGREE WITH ALL THIS BE HAPPY, MAKE THE MOST OF IT STUFF....HOWEVER!!!! I INTENDED TO EITHER TRANSFER....OR MAJOR IN ANATOMY NEXT YEAR...BUT THEY'RE APPARENTLY CUTTING CLASSES IN ANATOMY.,..LOSSING CLASSES.... WHICH MEANS THAT WE CANT COMPLETE THE SET OBJECTIVES, WHICH MEANS....THAT NEXT YEAR I CANNOT DO EITHER!!!!! SO YEAH, WHATEVER,HURRAY IM IN UNI....BUT WHATS THE POINT IF IM NOT GOING TO DO WHAT I INTENDED TO COME HERE FOR....WHAT I ENROLLED TO DO....!?!?!?
I DONT CARE IF WE'RE SITTING ON THE FLOOR, CRAMPED IN SMALL ROOMS.....I WANT TO TRANSFER OR AT LEAST MAJOR IN ANATOMY NEXT YEAR....BUT NOW APARRENTLY I CANT...
so yeah, i'm pretty PISSED OFF :( :mad:

Last edited:

klh

HSC
there is alot of duplication at uws, since many subjects are taught at 2 or more campuses, this costs money but the teacher student ratio is less so more interaction to lectureres. only thins is that so many go to parra that its useless.
the thing is they are encouraging group learning now more than ever, which isnt a bad thing but it has it cons as well, but soem lectureres who cant assess individual attemps will try to put more weighting on final exams and such which means more pressure. ofcourse in this day and age if you cant handle pressure, than most work that you will find will be hard for you.
personally, i wonder how they even assign roooms. i mean i got a full marketing class in a small room yet i have this lecture with like 100-200 students that could fit 500. they should arrange them more carefully coz many peopel were denied and had to go to the night lecture which meant they wassted their time turining up to class anyway.

abey85

HSC
This is my first semester at uws parra, and as a student who transferred from UTs, i seriously can say that UWS is far superior. Just the atmosphere and teaching methods really make it a better university experience, making your chances of success greater. University is all about independant study, so if your worried about petty things like not having enough classes, then you really aren't tapped into the reality of what university life really is. besides, at UTS i actually had far more crowded lectures and tutorials. the only better aspect of UTS would have to be the ADMIN, which totally sux at UWS.

spark

ITA. The admin side does suck. But I'm finding that I'm now much more motivated to study and whilst enjoying my course more than ever. :)

debugz

HSC
abey85 said:
This is my first semester at uws parra, and as a student who transferred from UTs, i seriously can say that UWS is far superior. Just the atmosphere and teaching methods really make it a better university experience, making your chances of success greater. University is all about independant study, so if your worried about petty things like not having enough classes, then you really aren't tapped into the reality of what university life really is. besides, at UTS i actually had far more crowded lectures and tutorials. the only better aspect of UTS would have to be the ADMIN, which totally sux at UWS.

Hrmmm i also transfered from uts... and u say uws is far superior... ill disagree with that... its... more... 'western' sydney :p just in the fact the diff type of people that go there, its more relaxed (althouth uts is also relaxing , its more.. .professional). . . although uws offeres greater flexability in subjects and degrees which is a +++. I found UTS lectures smaller, tutorial and lab classes a lot more ... interesting and full on. But then again, im just starting out at uws...

Oooh, and uws... parra, campus much smaller than i though.. only takes 5 mins to walk from one side to another... +++. Annnnnnd uts... huge plate/bowel of food for $5.. uws... tiny tiny bowl of food for $6. i was cut.

:p

debugz

HSC
hrmm i say 'though' a lot... even when i mean to say.. thought :p

abey85

HSC
debugz said:
Hrmmm i also transfered from uts... and u say uws is far superior... ill disagree with that... its... more... 'western' sydney :p just in the fact the diff type of people that go there, its more relaxed (althouth uts is also relaxing , its more.. .professional). . . although uws offeres greater flexability in subjects and degrees which is a +++. I found UTS lectures smaller, tutorial and lab classes a lot more ... interesting and full on. But then again, im just starting out at uws...

Oooh, and uws... parra, campus much smaller than i though.. only takes 5 mins to walk from one side to another... +++. Annnnnnd uts... huge plate/bowel of food for $5.. uws... tiny tiny bowl of food for $6. i was cut.

:p
UTS is more professional, but that is what makes it less relaxed. I find that UWS has that more 'highschool' sort of feel. UTS treats you more like a customer than a student.

uts did have better food though :)..although i guess it would cause of it's location.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)