UWA or Melb-U? (1 Viewer)

VQ

HSC
I got an offer from Melb-U today while I was thinking to go for UWA...

I know that quality of teaching in g08 unis should be similar but I believe there are pluses and minuses...could anyone give insight about this? Especially regarding Melb-U and UWA...

Thank you very much...

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
I would go melb uni, personally because of its location/grounds/reputation.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm Melbourne's culture seems a bit too serious for my liking. Their course isn't totally didactic, so it's like UWA in that they have a bit of PBL, self directed learning type stuff (grack) but admitting people purely on the basis of score has a huge effect on the collective "personality" of its students - they're bloody boring.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
second that :p

but seriously...you dont go to uni to make friends....first and foremost its for the education.

theyre both good universities in that regard and you'll be fine wherever you go

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah I know people are expecting me to be all "fuck yeah UWA > allllll" but as far as the courses go, they're both excellent. Usually people say that Melbourne is the best for research medicine, but well UWA just got some fancy Nobel laureates last year so I guess the status quo is a bit imbalanced for the time being. UWA might have a more relaxed course and "personality", but Melbourne still has some self directed learning and PBLs etc.

It's like they're the same uni, just one is in Melbourne (big city, lots to do, fast paced, dirty, but very expensive to live there and long travel times from anywhere) and the other is in Perth (small "city", not much to do, clean, relaxed, cheap living and excellent public transport).

Now that I've been here in Perth for a year obviously I still wish I could be studying at home in Sydney but I don't really regret moving out here. Med is a bloody high stress course, and Perth is a very relaxing place to study. Sure you get bored with no Kinokuniya and hardly any bubble tea :p but it's clean, it's quiet and when you hit my age that counts for a lot more than the price of drinks.

Plus the weather in Melbourne is shit.

eleco

HSC
hehe, yer the weather is pretty bad at melb.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)