UTS Selling Kuring-Gai? (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,10195411%5E12332,00.html

What do you guys think? I think they should sell it, and since the Howard govt has turned unis in to businesses, why can't they make a profit to reinvest in the uni?

If they sold it and expanded and bettered the city campus then it would be better for everyone, including the Kuring Gai students. It would mean better services and resources for everyone. Plus if everything was on the one campus, and the campus was expanded and bettered, it would give UTS more a campus feel/life that the other unis have. It would also cut out other things they need to spend money on, like the shuttle bus to KG and St Leonards (cos they are closing it too aren't they after the new science building is finished?) so more money could be spent on city campus to make it bigger and better.

What do u guys think though???

For some reason the student association opposes it... but they oppose pretty much everything.

karnevil

HSC
1/ why are you posting an article from a week ago :p
2/ why is the fortnight-old article about something we've known for ages? :confused:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I was just opening up the topic for discussion, is there anything wrong with that??? I was curious to hear if people supported the idea or not...

I just posted the article as some background for people who might not have realized people were annoyed about it.

karnevil

HSC
Personally I don't know whether to care or not.... I mean could this have any negative ramifications for current students? Who knows...

Even if the uni makes a veritable fuckload of money from the sale, there's about 1:1000000000 chance it'll ever benefit students in any great capacity.

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
I heard from a student from there that she doesn't like going all the way and then she has to plan stuff sround the shuttle bus. And to use resources,she has to go to the library and then lug the stuff back so she could use it at Kuring gai...and she borrows a lot of books. I think it would be better for the students, if the city campus was expanded to accomodate them,tThen its easier on them...I know a handful of friends who didnt choose nursing just because of the location. Haven't been there myself though.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
but the problem with expanding in the city is, well, to state the bleeding obvious, quite impossible.

where the hell can the city campus expand to, the city has reached virtually 100% of it's developmental capacity, the only thing uts could do is knock down existing buildings. which would be impractical and expensive.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I did a story on the redevelopment of the carlton united brewery site, and it mentioned something about residential, business and educational uses for the redevelopment, so perhaps UTS will buy some of that development? Considering it's now owned by Australand, who UTS bought Gumal Ngurang off... I dunno though, this is just speculation about the uses for that site....

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Kuringai is undeniably a better campus. It's more expansive, peaceful, recluse and better maintained. The only real problem is that it's so friggin' hard to get there, because the State Government pulled plans for a new train line and station servicing it (similar to what Macquarie is getting next year). There's also the problem of funding, and this massive block of prime real estate could solve quite a few financial restrictions the uni has had to observe...

I think it sucks, because all the place needs is a train station and the uni could move more courses there, freeing up space in the city. It would also allow development of research space, meaning more facilities (and thus student/resident academic) appeal.

L

lucky

i dun give a shiit... i dun even no where kuring gai or wateva is...

2late

Lexicographer said:
Kuringai is undeniably a better campus. It's more expansive, peaceful, recluse and better maintained. The only real problem is that it's so friggin' hard to get there, because the State Government pulled plans for a new train line and station servicing it (similar to what Macquarie is getting next year).
I think it sucks, because all the place needs is a train station and the uni could move more courses there, freeing up space in the city. It would also allow development of research space, meaning more facilities (and thus student/resident academic) appeal.
I totally agree with Lexicographer. I'm at Kuring-gai at the moment and absolutely love it. We are our own little community where everyone knows everyone else. Since it is all in the one place you can't help running into the same people over and over again.

But, it is a shit to get to. To make it worse I'm out in the west. Over an hour to get to (if traffic co-operates) and lets not even talk about using public transport.

I always said that I would prefer to go to the City campus but now that i've experienced Kuring-gai I totally oppose the selling of the Campus. And fingers cross if they do sell it it will be after I've finished my course.

lucky said:
i dun give a shiit... i dun even no where kuring gai or wateva is...
yeah i'm sure you don't because it probably doesn't affect you. And the Kuring-gai campus is about 5 minutes from Chatswood.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
"UTS paid $1 for the college in November 1994. The university's annual report of 2003 values the site at $60 million."

SHIT! i should've bought it before UTS DID!!! :D

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Asquithian said:
Ive been to the UTS Kuring-gai and it didnt think it was much...its really small much like a high school....very cosy for those out there who prefer a cosy uni campus.
and better looking chicks!

theone123

blue essence
HSC
i reckon its a whole lot better, makes the city campus amalagated and would benefit the city campus in long future

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The reason we got Kuringai campus was that we can't fit the whole uni on the city campus. They're already closing down St Leonards and moving all the biological sciences labs to the new building, there's nowhere else to put all the stuff hosted at Kuringai. We need that campus!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That'd probably be a good idea, you engineers need some sun.

Besides, it'd give them the opportunity to renovate (and possibly expand) building 2! Huzzah!

MoNNiE

HSC
burn building 2 !! and rebuild the whole thing -- best solution i cna think of!.. okay i'm being selfish and stupid..
stupid architect..!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)