UTS(good or bad) (1 Viewer)

Dingers

Pro-crap-stinator
HSC
Well, I've looked at ANU in Canberra and it's UAI cut-off's are much lower than USYD and UNSW.

My question is what makes a uni good under the criteria of the rankings list.

_deloso

HSC
currently living in the west and takes around an hour to travel to central. for uts, a quick walk from station. for unsw, a bus ride from station. and I wanna do mechanical eng. I think I prefer UTS despite unsw's reputation for engineering. What do you guys think of my decision???

mark H

HSC
currently living in the west and takes around an hour to travel to central. for uts, a quick walk from station. for unsw, a bus ride from station. and I wanna do mechanical eng. I think I prefer UTS despite unsw's reputation for engineering. What do you guys think of my decision???
If you're gonna do engineering the options are either UNSW or UTS (in that order).

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
UTS isn't bad, it's convenient plus the rep is ok too, a couple of my friends are doing various types of engineering degrees at UTS and they like it, plus the timetable is a little more flexible than UNSW with your subjects and timings etc... so you can have a little more options/tailoring to your needs etc...

HSC
I want to do civil engineering, I'm thinking UTS. I come from the country so travel isn't an issue as I'm going to have to move regardless. I'm just interested in what the student life is like at UTS, a lot of people say it doesn't have that "atmosphere" that UNSW and USYD do? What do you guys think?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Usyd has too many asians. If I go there I'll be lucky to make at least 1 friend.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I want to do civil engineering, I'm thinking UTS. I come from the country so travel isn't an issue as I'm going to have to move regardless. I'm just interested in what the student life is like at UTS, a lot of people say it doesn't have that "atmosphere" that UNSW and USYD do? What do you guys think?
UNSW is the best by far but superbly expensive unless you're getting in on a sharehouse
Usyd has too many asians. If I go there I'll be lucky to make at least 1 friend.
Can't go wrong with that kind of attitude!!1!!!

twistedrebel

HSC
m8s for engineering UNSW tops all. Also UNSW engineering is awesome, better buildings and alot more cool shit happens at UNSW. UTS is just one massive, no place to hang around liek we do at UNSW, more food courts, cafes etc. Also roundhouse /end discussion.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
I had extremely poor lecturers at UTS when I did software engineering.

However, when I did my Science, Education and Business degrees, I had some awesome lecturers and some awesome experiences.

Proteus

HSC
Is UTS full of Asians as well?

Also, is it common for people to go out to Haymarket to play/eat in their spare time ?

Just wondering, as UTS may be somewhere I am looking at with my ATAR estimates!

I'm looking at B Business in particular, however I want to major in Finance and Accounting...

Most B Commerce give formal accreditation/recognition with Accounting and Finance majors, however at UTS only Accounting gets accreditited by the CPA/CA..

The Finance major doesn't get anything by ASIC (unlike UNSW/USYD/ MAQ) etc

If people do go to Haymarket and hang about, uni life is good, lots of Asians.... then I shouldn't worry too much about "uni life" haha :/

Cheers

Proteus

HSC
IMO there are many asians in uts and i'm guessing usyd, unsw are no exception. So this diminishes the meaning of 'many'.

and yes people have meals nearby in union food court or haymarket fastfood junk stores. No other choice if you don't live nearby.
Cheers mate :)

Thanks for the detailed response!

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
UTS is more of a mix, UNSW probably has more asians (% wise) than UTS, and as for food, it's the Union Food court, Maccas/KFC/Subway/Oporto/Hungry Jacks - Central Station, or Haymarket/Market City (massive food court with a truck load of asian stores and others level 3 & 4 iirc).

Plenty to eat.

LLButters

HSC
N/A
How's biotechnology at UTS? Compared to Sydney and NSW (although I know that there's not actually a bachelor of biotech at those two).

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Mate. UTS has more Asians than USyd.
That's not what I saw at the open days. Usyd and UNSW have higher ATARS therefore presumably more Asians, this was EXTREMELY evident on the open days. (not being racist or anything, just stating a fact - I have heaps of Asian friends).

and to the poster who said they are jealous over other campuses...I would rather go to a uni with a 5 min walk from the train station then a 15 min walk to Usyd or 15 min bus ride to UNSW.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
I would argue that USYD is the most racially diverse of the universities. Don't judge it by the Open Day. That's a skewed representation of reality.

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Probably it is practical based..practical as in allowing students to maybe be encouraged to do internships as opposed to doing 2nd/3rd year theory?! Idk...nothing probably beats tafe as a practical institution anyways - lol, just a thought..

there is other uni's though besides uts..in ranking order I believe its: USYD, UNSW, MQu, UTS, UWS, ACU..lol. I think MQ is pretty practical too...then again it all depends on the strength of the faculty that matters

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)