UTS B Business/B Law UAI artificially increased? (1 Viewer)

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
mr EaZy said:
tru dat

u know that dean today talked of the fact that u cant say that a guy with a uai of 98 (or 97.9 :) ) wont do better at law than a guy with a uai of 99. thats tru but what can we do about it? does anyone think we should do what medicine has become and introduce secondary selction measures?

i think its great wat theyve done with medicine....i think ill do wat the med sci lecturer said today and finish a med sci degree and try to get into medicine......i dunno why......but looking at that "medicine building" made me wanna become a doctor.......

edit: btw.....this is usyd im talkin abt....but i thought ill mention it in UTS anyway..

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
USyd artificially inflates their media and comm course UAI by only letting a few people in. They do this in order to make them seem more prestigious than UTS communications.... Why else do they only let in 15 or so people when they already teach most of the subjects in the course in the general arts degrees?

A lot of unis do this kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
haha i have a feeling that law entrance is gonna undergo some change just like medicine did a few years ago...

so maybe the kiddies in 2010 will need to undergo some UMAT-style exam and interview before acceptance... and that will open up a new breed of law-entrance exam-coaching and interview-technique colleges :rolleyes:
Brown explains how universities can inflate their cut-off scores by limiting the number of places offered to school leavers and recent school leavers and accepting more mature-aged applicants who come in through a different process.
yup! sounds like UTS! :D

Last edited:

pungpui

HSC
ok im a little stupid, but what did they do to the medicine requirement to get in?? must have missed it coz its not my cup of tea...

having said that, a couple of years ago a distant cousin of mine got UAI 100 and coz he did, went into medicine, 'because he could', and now apparantly he cant stand the sight of blood so isnt doing too well...if the new 'requirement' filters this out, good on em!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
pungpui said:
ok im a little stupid, but what did they do to the medicine requirement to get in?? must have missed it coz its not my cup of tea...
back until class of 1998, that is, undergraduate entry for year 1999 (?), medicine was like all the other cutoffs - plain supply-and-demand. this saw the pushing-up of the med cutoff to a high of TER 99.65 at UNSW. you had some really smart kids who got high marks entering medicine not because they want to, but because their parents pressured them to, and because they felt like their TER would be otherwise wasted. This meant that a lot of them dropped out after first-year, and that a lot of otherwise brilliant would-be doctors missed out because they failed to make the insanely-high cutoff.

sound a bit like how law is going now, right? i believe it's a flow-on effect from medicine's new requirements.

some changes to the system came along in 1999/2000, following UNewcastle's new entrance requirements; and now all medicine entrance applications are selected based on the triple criteria of an aptitude test (UMAT or GAMSAT), interview and academic marks.

Last edited:

schwang_thang

Toodulu said:
hmm well i got above the cutoff last year and i put UTS biz/law in my preferences for the late rounds and i didn't get an offer.

I didn't even get into first round even though my UAI was 0.4 or something above the cutoff (this was a couple of years ago) for Bbus/law. The cutoff had gone up something like 1.5 points in one year!

And btw, I know of some people who made it into BBus/law after applying for access. The thing is, a few of these people didn't tell others that they applied for the access scheme, so others think that the system is just dodgy (just speaking from my experience).

pungpui

HSC
AAHHH!! now your really confusing me!

u didnt get in, even though ur UAI was above the cut off!?!

schwang_thang

braindrainedAsh said:
I think they mean the previous year's cutoff, not the cutoff for the current year.
haha, yes that's what I meant! I was just trying to make the point (although I obviously didn't do it too well) that I doubt that people with lower UAIs are accepted into courses where the stated UAI is significantly higher.

Pungpui: sorry for the confusion! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)