Utas (1 Viewer)

hotpot

HSC
UTAS accomodation

Hi ppls, I was wondering if anyone here goes to university of tasmania? Does anyone know the average cost of living there for accomodation (in campus/out of campus?) and weekly spending on food etc?

Im new on moving out of home let alone to another state. So any info would be appreciated.

nafe

HSC
N/A
Re: UTAS accomodation

I dunno if this reply is too late or not, but i just graduated from UTAS this year.
There's 3 places to stay at on campus: AMC, Leprena and Kerslake. I stayed at the AMC, which is directly next to the uni, but because its a seperate institution, its not actually part of it (not that it makes a huge difference or anything). I think i payed about $400 a fortnight for 10 meals a week (either breakfast + dinner, or lunch + dinner / monday - friday), and it also included room cleaning, good internet access and access to all their facilities (swimming pool, tennis courts, bar, footy field, etc), so it was a pretty sweet deal. You can also get 15 meals a week (brekky + lunch + dinner / monday - friday) and 21 meals a week (3 meals a day, 7 days), if you dont mind paying a bit more.

The other two places, Leprena and Kerslake, aren't catered like AMC is, so they're a bit cheaper. You get good access to kitchens at both places. I dont know a whole lot about these two, so i think the websites are probably a better help than me at this point.

All 3 places are close to uni, so you should be right wherever you choose, but IMO, AMC would be the better choice.

If you have any other, more specific questions, just private message me... and what are you studying?

clairine73

Sleepy :P
HSC

Hi, i'm sure this one is too late too but if anyone else is going to search for it i might as well answer my best:
The biggest campus is in Hobart, but there is also a largeish one in launceston and a small one on the north coast.

If you are going to hobart there are a few on campus options for you. Christ college is fully catered, where my brother had the 'best year of his life', is extremely social, and seems to be full of alcohol. ? i don't know how else to put that. That costs approx $251 pw, the same as the other catered college John Fisher, which i think started out as a girls only college but is now social, but not so much as christ college. There are also new self catered apartments for $156 pw.

Hobart is not expensive, and the 2 catered colleges are a nice walk to the campus buildings, provide all meals and a microwave, fridge etc for small amounts of cooking (though you couldn't do much more than instant noodles there). In selfcatered, you should very easily be able to do groceries for $45 pw absolute max.

The launceston ones have been covered, but certainly the hobart ones are far bigger.

There are many social events organised for the colleges, and the rooms are basically set up with a bed, desk, lamp, heating etc.

For more info : http://www.utas.edu.au/accommodation/prospective/hbt/fisher/index.htm

also, just for your info, it seems that Christ College is being renovated (!)

frfr

HSC
Problems with Accomodation in Hobart

Hey to everyone!
I am going to attend the Uni in Hobart. I come from Spain and have never been to Australia before. I am trying to find a room in a dorm or a shared flat/apartment/house close to Sandy Bay Campus so that I have a place to stay from the beginning.

I have contact the accommodation services but they did not provide many useful information (Their dorms are full).

I would prefer to live in a self-catered place, sharing a flat or an
apartment with other students. I think the best place for me would be a room in the "University Apartments" but they seem to be full as well.

Does anyone know some different alternatives? Please, let me know if you know something about this and the conditions (prices, what it is included, etc).

Thank you in advance

frfr

HSC

Hey!

I'm also moving to Hobart in some weeks. I come from Spain and have never been to Australia before. I am trying to find a room in a dorm or a shared flat/apartment/house close to Sandy Bay Campus so that I have a place to stay from the beginning.

Uni accommodation services - internationa student services are not helping my much. Do you know some alternative ways to get a room in Hobart/sandy Bay?

I would prefer to live in a self-catered place, sharing a flat or an
apartment with other students. I think the best place for me would be a room in the "University Apartments" but they seem to be full :((

Thanks in advance

coffeebabi06

HSC
hey, i'm moving to Hobart in a few weeks to do medical research as a hopeful pathway into med. Is anyone else doing the same thing??

Hayden2102

HSC
Hi coffeebabi, I did that last year, and I got into Med, and am starting this year.

Just realise that it's got alot more competitive now that people are catching on to the pathway, so take a umat prep course and study hard to get a distinction average because the subjects aren't easy.

Good luck!

coffeebabi06

HSC
Hey! Finally, someone replied!
I did a umat course last year, and was told my scores were "competitive" (percentiles added up to 239). Could you tell me a bit more about the subjects? I did enhancement chemistry with monash last year, so I think the chem bit should be okay, but I know nothing about biology! Do you have any advice??

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
hi coffeebabi,
How are you finding the course so far?

Serathis

HSC

Are the University's accomodation in Launceston good ? :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)