USyd's Veterinary Science Courses? (1 Viewer)

LeadTaco

HSC
N/A
As a year 12 student, I've recently been looking at some uni courses, and pretty much since I was a little kid, I've been wanting to do a Veterinary Course.
The only veterinary courses from the NSW major unis I can find are at USyd; the BACHELOR OF ANIMAL AND VETERINARY BIOSCIENCE and The Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (BVetBiol/DVM)

So what I want to know is what's different between these degrees in terms of coursework, job prospects, etc.
Also, for the BVetBiol/DVM your required to get an ATAR and do the STAT, while they show that you need a 150/200 for the STAT, they don't really provide a minimum ATAR, so what would approximately be the cut-of, or what was it in previous courses.

Thanks a lot :)

LeadTaco

HSC
N/A
Answering your first question: Bachelor of Animal and Veterinary Bioscience -> animal scientist whereas Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine -> registered veterinarian. So it depends what you want to do in the future. I believe the Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine would be more focused on the biology of animals specifically and how to operate on them, so really an animal equivalent to taking medicine.
Thanks a lot :)

I will add to this post if I find the answer to your second question. :)
A friend recently told me that the ATAR for this course would be around 98, does this sound right?

LeadTaco

HSC
N/A
I have been searching through some sites and documents and it seems the university is rather vague about the actual admission requirements, other than the fact you need to have achieved an ATAR and done the STAT. But your friend is right in that it is likely the ATAR requirement in the course would be relatively high. The ATAR requirement is probably not stated due to the combined consideration of the ATAR and the STAT. Also, are you doing biology right now? Although not a prerequisite, evidently it would be beneficial to have completed.
Yes I am. Also, the reason I'm asking what the ATAR is, is that a prerequisite for BVetBiol/DVM seems to be a lot of work experience in particular in vets, and I don't really want to devote that much time to getting into the course if the ATAR is 98 for example, as I'm fairly sure that I'm looking at a low 90s ATAR.

If it's not to much trouble could you expand on the job opportunities between the two courses.

Again, Thank you :)

LeadTaco

HSC
N/A
No problem. I hope with whatever course you choose to do, it works out all well for you!
hahah one more thing :), since high 90's isn't really realistic for me, what would be the best course to do after the HSC and will be the easiest to transfer into for the Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine course; B of Science, B of Advance Science or B of Animal and Veterinary Bioscience.
Thanks

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
hahah one more thing :), since high 90's isn't really realistic for me, what would be the best course to do after the HSC and will be the easiest to transfer into for the Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine course; B of Science, B of Advance Science or B of Animal and Veterinary Bioscience.
Thanks
I think B of Animal and Veterinary Bioscience would be the best to do because it is probably the most relevant/closely related to B of Animal and Veterinary Bioscience. From what I heard, it's apparently harder to do internal transfer than to get in by HSC. But nonetheless just try your best :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)