USYD's 'Degree in a Day' (1 Viewer)

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
Anyone else got nominated and will be attending? :)

ssglain

HSC
Just make sure you register early, because the popular options tend to go very quickly. Last year my deputy principal half-heartedly mentioned that the school had nominated the top 15 people in the grade to attend, but said nothing of registration or preferences. Myself and a few friends missed out on the sessions that we were interested in as a result of that.

Disco Dinosaurs

HSC
A few of my friends and I are going, I registered on Wednesday. My first choices were Psychology and the Working for Justice one about social workers. I'm pretty excited about it, even though I'm not going to the University of Sydney.

nandayo

ismist
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
Hm what is it actually ? I'd be interested either way i think .. lol
I second that. I searched for "Degree in a Day" on the USyd website and there were very few useful results. How did you guys apply for this, and where can we go for more information? :) Sounds really worthwhile.

ssglain

HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
Hm what is it actually ? I'd be interested either way i think .. lol
nandayo said:
How did you guys apply for this, and where can we go for more information?
From the material I got last year:

What is the University of Sydney's "Degree in a Day" event?
The University of Sydney's "Degree in a Day" features hands-on tutorials, presentations, demonstrations and practical sessions that give you a taste of what you will experience while studying at university. It's your opportunity to find out what studying a degree at Sydney is like - all in one day!

How can I attend?
In order to attend, you must be nominated by your high school principal or their nominee.

---

From what I remember, you need a username and a password to register your elective sessions online. Having missed out on medicine, I went to pharmacy and genetics. We made aspirin tablets and liquid panadol during the pharmacy session but the genetics session was a bore because the guy just droned on about what I'd already learnt about genetics from biology. If you aren't too sure about which session you would like to attend, I suggest choosing one that features interactive activities like ice-cream making (chemistry) or bridge-building competitions (civil engineering) rather than just a plain lecture.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Fuck going to a selective school, seriously. I don't get to do anything.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Hm wow. This reminds me of the UWS one but sounds a lot better. But unfortunately school hasn't even told us anything about it. Shall talk to the careers advisor bout this then.

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
ssglain said:
From the material I got last year:

What is the University of Sydney's "Degree in a Day" event?
The University of Sydney's "Degree in a Day" features hands-on tutorials, presentations, demonstrations and practical sessions that give you a taste of what you will experience while studying at university. It's your opportunity to find out what studying a degree at Sydney is like - all in one day!

How can I attend?
In order to attend, you must be nominated by your high school principal or their nominee.
Mm yep, that's pretty much what was written on this year's pamphlet as well.

For the morning session I think I put down the Economics one as first preference, then an engineering one. And for the afternoon session, aeronautical/civil engineering was my first and psychology second. Really looking forward to it!

The chocolate-tasting option is so awesomely random though :eek:.

nandayo

ismist
HSC
My careers advisor is a champ. So, I go in there at recess today to check up on it - says he didn't hear anything from USyd recruitment, but he'd make a few phone calls. Spoke to lady who knew a bit about it at lunch who said the process is mostly big school groups/invitation, and that we'll be invited next April. So, happy to go then.

Get a message on my phone this afternoon, he managed to get me a spot and I'm going to this one?! Crazehhh.

So pretty much - I will be the loner in the corner...
Friend?

Last edited:

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
nandayo said:
My careers advisor is a champ. So, I go in there at recess today to check up on it - says he didn't hear anything from USyd recruitment, but he'd make a few phone calls. Spoke to lady who knew a bit about it at lunch who said the process is mostly big school groups/invitation, and that we'll be invited next April. So, happy to go then.

Get a message on my phone this afternoon, he managed to get me a spot and I'm going to this one?! Crazehhh.

So pretty much - I will be the loner in the corner...
Friend?
The ten of us who were nominated pretty much all put down different preferences; so no worries :). Mostly everyone is in the same boat!

Registered and picked your sessions yet?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Congratulations! I'm hoping I'll be able to help out at both days, so I'm sure I'll see some of you there ;) Also will be a good way for you guys to relax after your HSCs!

lala2

Banned
HSC
Aha, no I haven't :) I stand corrected. I always thought it was open to anybody from Years 10-12. Still, it's looking good, and it'll give you an idea of what you might like to pick for your UAC preferences next year.

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
lols aww you guys !
i missed out on mine , cos the yr advisor conveniently told us about it during an exam which only half the grade was doing (probably some humanity) ... so yeah ><" , i never heard about it until like a month after it passed or something !

i wanted to go to the pharmacy one too =( .. heard it was really good.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Year advisor told me that our school only gets 4 people to go. She's a biased one so wants to pick the 4 from her SRC group. Angry much?

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
vulgarfraction said:
aww gross.

if you just register yourself what's she going to do? I'll PM you details if you want. ^^
Oh, yeah sure. Could you do that please ? ^^" It'd help loads. =]

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
29th November! So just under two weeks :eek:.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Wow, sounds great. Wish I could go ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)