Usyd ? Unsw? (1 Viewer)

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
I was at USYD last year, and now I'm at UNSW. Moved because the degree at UNSW is a bit more flexible (and the timetabling is 1000 times better).

But yeh I wouldn't switch uni's simply because one has a better reputation than the other, because at the end of the day, which uni you go to has a very minor bearing on your chances of employment. It's what you have to offer as a person (work exp, extra-curricular etc) that really counts.

-And yeh, UNSW is lacking a little in the grass department. But I never really made use of the grass at USYD anyway, so it's all good.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
nekkid said:
my friend applied for a job with some large fins institution (can't remember which one) few months back... he said out of the 30 who got in, 20 were from unsw. the other 10 were spread out between macq (his uni), syd and uts.
sign on msn damit :p

I wouldnt think that that's pure employer bias - but perhaps those 20 unsw'er were just plain suited for the role.

Don't forget its all relative.
If company X emplyed +10 unsw'ers, then company Y employed -10 UNSW'ers. (assuming the number of aplicants are equal among uni's)

Last edited:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
scut said:
-And yeh, UNSW is lacking a little in the grass department. But I never really made use of the grass at USYD anyway, so it's all good.
I'm with there , i moved from MACQ to unsw ; and macq has loads of grass ... never used by me tho...

Rorix

HSC
There's no reliable way to measure which university is actually best.

There is a general consensus that USYD used to be quite poor in comm/eco (source: high ranking usyd fellow) but in recent years with the new dean this has changed

sarevok

HSC
nekkid said:
my friend applied for a job with some large fins institution (can't remember which one) few months back... he said out of the 30 who got in, 20 were from unsw. the other 10 were spread out between macq (his uni), syd and uts.
What is your point? Your friend's anecdote about the selection process he went through with an unnamed 'large finance institution' is hardly indicative of the prospects of Usyd (or any other university) Commerce graduates vs UNSW Commerce graduates :rolleyes:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
wikiwiki said:
UNSW asian graduates aren't going very far in the corporate world as a group.
Maybe there not here to stay ?
...and howd they pass the interview :s

myg0t

myg0t
HSC
Which is why UMAT was introducted along with an interview to get into medicine at UNSW undergraduate.

If it's not mathematical then its not asian.

therealworld

HSC
transfer

I'm thinking of transfering to unsw from usyd so i can do a cadetship, i finished my HSC in 2004 to start unsw in 2006 do they look at ur uai or 2nd semester results or both?

jpr333

HSC
Half UAI, half results for a formal tranfer through the UAC place.

sarevok

HSC
For first year transfers, the UNSW Commerce Faculty takes the higher of UAI or GPA.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Sarah168 said:
unsw has heaps of grass
Two whole lawns full! The commerce lawn and the med lawn. I think that the only university in NSW (perhaps the country) with less grass than UNSW is UTS.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
UNSW FCE doesn't inflate its UAI; it's just that there is just as a lot of demand by international students which means fewer places for Locals. Anywayz, since there is a nationwide trend towards falling international student enrollments, UNSW plans to have mid-yr entry to give transfers more opportunity to study at UNSW.

Grass shouldn't be a big issue. It's only one aspect of the facilities provided at the uni. Although UNSW lacks the appeal of a traditional sandstone university, its modern architecture embodies the innovativeness of the programs offered at UNSW (except for Advanced Science, which is a dud compared to Usyd).

UNSW runs quite a few night classes for co-op and cadets, but I would go to UTS because its timetable is designed around part-time students.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
therealworld said:
is that half results from semester 2 exams?
and whats a GPA?
check the transfers thread.
For each HD: 7pts, D: 6pts and so on. Then divide by the number of subjects.
E.g. 6.0GPA is a Distinction avg

Sarah

HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
UNSW FCE doesn't inflate its UAI; it's just that there is just as a lot of demand by international students which means fewer places for Locals. Anywayz, since there is a nationwide trend towards falling international student enrollments, UNSW plans to have mid-yr entry to give transfers more opportunity to study at UNSW.

Grass shouldn't be a big issue. It's only one aspect of the facilities provided at the uni. Although UNSW lacks the appeal of a traditional sandstone university, its modern architecture embodies the innovativeness of the programs offered at UNSW (except for Advanced Science, which is a dud compared to Usyd).

UNSW runs quite a few night classes for co-op and cadets, but I would go to UTS because its timetable is designed around part-time students.

Seraphim, are you suggesting that international students take local students places? Because to my understanding, there is a quota for local students, international and local full fee paying students and each quota is seperate

HSC
is there also a separate quote for transfers?
and i heard that the cut-off for transfers are always lower than the main stream cut-offs (HSC graduates). is that true?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
yeh have to put something new into this:

tho unsw is flexible in terms of tt arrangements, alot of its policies do not give students of alot of freedom as usyd can provide...

a) yes unsw's tt arrangment allow student to do co op/ cadetship... however this is restricted to single degree candidates (yes i know it's same nation wide... but still it sucks big time...

b) unsw is quite stingy on overload policy... you can only overload in order to finish ur degree on the same time as other students... so to my understanding, if u ddin't transfer or fail, u can only do 24 cp (or its equivalent in unsw) whereas usyd allows u a maximum of 32 before seek permission from dean

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
xiao1985 said:
yeh have to put something new into this:

tho unsw is flexible in terms of tt arrangements, alot of its policies do not give students of alot of freedom as usyd can provide...

a) yes unsw's tt arrangment allow student to do co op/ cadetship... however this is restricted to single degree candidates (yes i know it's same nation wide... but still it sucks big time...
It's only restricted if you want it to be... there are many comm/law students working at accounting firms and the fact that UNSW's timetabling is so flexible allows them to do so.

xiao1985 said:
b) unsw is quite stingy on overload policy... you can only overload in order to finish ur degree on the same time as other students... so to my understanding, if u ddin't transfer or fail, u can only do 24 cp (or its equivalent in unsw) whereas usyd allows u a maximum of 32 before seek permission from dean
I think it's a fair deal for them to request you haven't failed any subjects so far to allow you to overload. It's not like they're demanding a D average.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)