• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Usyd tips (1 Viewer)

HKspec009

HSC
Just wanted to ask the people going to usyd, any tips for for a 1st yr student.
They sent all the brochures and booklets, but is there any stuff that you had no idea about that you found out about later on like certain clubs/societies, whatever access cards are, just little things that people starting should know of in general

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Eat at Newtown for lunch!! Thai La-Ong. Join revue societies and oh yeah... make sure you keep up with studies because past papers and sample exams are rarely released. :D

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't bother going to Manning Bar or Hermann's in the first few weeks.

It's always packed.

HKspec009

HSC
Revue societies?
what is the access card used for and how much does it cost to acquire one?

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Revue societies?
what is the access card used for and how much does it cost to acquire one?
Pokka gave a good link for finding out more about the access card but here is the basic info about it:

It means you can join clubs and societies which are groups at uni that underpin the social life of the uni. There are over 200 of them that cater for all different interests (from music to anime to languages to games to food etc). Being part of a club or society and going to events is a great way to meet people, especially in first year. Most have weekly or fortnightly events that may include meeting up in one of the bars, doing activities together, film screenings, playing games etc.

The access card also gives you discounts at stores both on campus and off campus. The standard amount is a 15% discount at on campus stores (newsagency, bars, food stores, academic dress, coffee carts) and discounts vary at off campus locations (full details provided in the link pokka put up).

In the past it has been $110 for first year of membership, and $90 for each additional year (though you can also buy a 3, 4 or 5 year card at discounted rates), but that might change this year depending on where student services funds are spent. I work for the Student Union (who sell the access cards), and I'll be able to tell you sometime in the next 3 weeks how much they'll cost this year.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
It brings the cost of everything on campus to competitive prices, that and a free digital subscription for the SMH.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I definitely think so.

You can join clubs, which are a great way to make friends so defs worth it for your social life. It gives you discounts so you're more likely to do stuff, thereby making it worth it. You can get certain freebies throughout the year and stuff, also making it worth it.

You can always get just a one year membership and see if it's worth it before getting it in second year.

edit: also the free paper is great. idk if it's only digital subscription this year but in the past its been the paper subscription as well which is super useful.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Also, completely separate tip - you will not die walking to redfern at night. There are people going from uni to redfern station quite regularly until about 10pm. If you do have any concerns, there's a security bus that starts at fisher library and goes around the campus, before dropping students right outside the station and it runs from 4:30pm to 10:30pm each weekday.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Also, completely separate tip - you will not die walking to redfern at night. There are people going from uni to redfern station quite regularly until about 10pm. If you do have any concerns, there's a security bus that starts at fisher library and goes around the campus, before dropping students right outside the station and it runs from 4:30pm to 10:30pm each weekday.
That's a useful tip I did not know and am going to make the most of if I can't get a bus.

And I still don't know why we need an Access card to join clubs, that's just really stupid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)