USYD - snobbery? (1 Viewer)

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
withoutaface said:
Get the fuck off my forum, year 12 plebian.
who was that directed to?

and just for the general record I PERSONALLY do not think that USYDers are more snobby than anyone else, was simply something that i saw cropping up on the UNSW forum and was curious.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Were any of those comments made by me?

If so, I humbly apologise. I hereby take back any statement I made last year concerning UNSW and USyd, and which was better.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ahen said:
who was that directed to?

and just for the general record I PERSONALLY do not think that USYDers are more snobby than anyone else, was simply something that i saw cropping up on the UNSW forum and was curious.
You. Now go back to the fucking HSC forums, this playground's for the big kids.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
oh for fucks sake, its called RESEARCH i'm here checking out which uni's are better so that i know what to put on my UAC application and last time i checked the best way to find out was to go and speak to people that actually go to uni. not other people who are just as lost as i am (which is what i would find on the HSC forum) and what's your problem anyway? you're acting like yr 12's for little wussies YOU must have done the HSC at some stage in your life. Geez get over yourself, evidently you are one of the "snobs" the UNSWers were referring to...

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ahen said:
oh for fucks sake, its called RESEARCH i'm here checking out which uni's are better so that i know what to put on my UAC application and last time i checked the best way to find out was to go and speak to people that actually go to uni. not other people who are just as lost as i am (which is what i would find on the HSC forum) and what's your problem anyway? you're acting like yr 12's for little wussies YOU must have done the HSC at some stage in your life. Geez get over yourself, evidently you are one of the "snobs" the UNSWers were referring to...
Hahahahahahaha. Good luck getting a UAI over 70.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
Law has many, many snobs.

Arts, not so much. Intelligent kids, but certainly not snobs.

But then I guess this all depends on what your idea of a 'snob' is. They're not all that unbearable either. And if worse comes to worst and you find yourself surrounded by snobs, you're under no obligation to talk to them. It's a uni of over 30,000 students, so it's not unthinkable that you'll find a solid group of friends who are down to earth. I have, anyway. Don't let something as trivial as mild snobbery stop you from getting a great education.

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
you'll have snobs in every uni..its unavoidable. ive encountered a few snobs at usyd, mainly rich kids who bum off their wealthy parents. mite just be me but i find most usyders to be quite decent, friendly people .

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
lengy said:
It's called jealousy and envy.
haha. no that's not snobbery at all! lol

Every uni has it's snobs. If you think usyd are snobs, every time I say I go to usyd, I get the whole "oh" expression. Like "oh you're one of THOSE". I'm getting more snobbed than the snobbing I'm doing!

Don't base your decision on what type of people go to usyd (or any uni for that people). Unfortunately there are stupid people everywhere. You just learn to avoid them.

veridis

droog
HSC
if you're not sure if you're good enough for usyd then you're not good enough.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
c_james said:
Law has many, many snobs.

Arts, not so much. Intelligent kids, but certainly not snobs.

But then I guess this all depends on what your idea of a 'snob' is. They're not all that unbearable either. And if worse comes to worst and you find yourself surrounded by snobs, you're under no obligation to talk to them. It's a uni of over 30,000 students, so it's not unthinkable that you'll find a solid group of friends who are down to earth. I have, anyway. Don't let something as trivial as mild snobbery stop you from getting a great education.
Law isn't so bad... Yes there are some snobs (I won't be mentioning names), but most of us try harder to appear 'normal' if you know what I mean.

Generally though, I think the demographics of USyd is a better reflection of the real world than that of UNSW. Also, USyd tends to be more liberal and accepting of a broader range of religious and political worldviews - you will not be coerced to be part of a certain 'scene', religious community or group.

Last edited:

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
_dhj_ said:
Law isn't so bad... Yes there are some snobs (I won't be mentioning names), but most of us try harder to appear 'normal' if you know what I mean.

Generally though, I think the demographics of USyd is a better reflection of the real world than that of UNSW. Also, USyd tends to be more liberal and accepting of a broader range of religious and political worldviews - you will not be coerced to be part of a certain 'scene', religious community or group.
Thats very true - you get all kinds at Sydney, from people who have rich mummy/daddy heart surgeon/high court judges who live in college on campus with tonnes of money to the classic two minute noodle student anarchist who lives in Glebe to Western Suburbs to North Shore to everything.

If you go on what you hear from people at UNSW of course they are going to say that we are snobby.

But you can't generalise a campus of 40,000 students with one word, just like you can't say all Asian drivers are bad or all Muslims are terrorists. Its just not how it goes. You'll probably get a higher proportion of richer, snobbier people at USyd I'm sure, but hang around the right circles and I'm sure you'll find them at UNSW too.

Come to the Open Days on all the Campuses in August and see for yourself. Ultimately, pick your university on the course you wish to do. Its really quite simple...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ujuphleg said:
Thats very true - you get all kinds at Sydney, from people who have rich mummy/daddy heart surgeon/high court judges who live in college on campus with tonnes of money to the classic two minute noodle student anarchist who lives in Glebe to Western Suburbs to North Shore to everything.

If you go on what you hear from people at UNSW of course they are going to say that we are snobby.

But you can't generalise a campus of 40,000 students with one word, just like you can't say all Asian drivers are bad or all Muslims are terrorists. Its just not how it goes. You'll probably get a higher proportion of richer, snobbier people at USyd I'm sure, but hang around the right circles and I'm sure you'll find them at UNSW too.

Come to the Open Days on all the Campuses in August and see for yourself. Ultimately, pick your university on the course you wish to do. Its really quite simple...
I agreed with you up until the bolded points

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Our buildings look better too. I cannot stress how important the aesthetics of a university are. You're there most days of a week for the better part of a year. If you're in an environment which looks like a giant, jagged and somewhat square piece of shit (UNSW, UTS) then you're not going to feel as good as you do wandering around the totally rocking, gothicish USyd campus.

So you know...there are reasons for the snobbery. I mean...USyd is better.

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Our buildings look better too. I cannot stress how important the aesthetics of a university are. You're there most days of a week for the better part of a year. If you're in an environment which looks like a giant, jagged and somewhat square piece of shit (UNSW, UTS) then you're not going to feel as good as you do wandering around the totally rocking, gothicish USyd campus.

*cheers!* Well said.

carreau

HSC
I've found the easiest people to get along with are those in sciences.. The low sciences that is.. Yep, us peons down the bottom stick together like glue, like the hard worken' folk we are!

merrymadi

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:

(Sorry for intruding on a uni thread, as I am a lowly HSC rodent, but...)

I totally agree! We went on a Biology excursion to USyd earlier this year and I just fell in love with the place and all it's beautiful buildings. The other week ago we visited the UWS Penrith campus and it just looked like a big plastic box. More like a soulless penitentiary than somewhere I'd want to spend the majority of the next four years of my life at.

Yeah, it had a big lake and lots of hills and grass, but it was just too QUIET. There's no way I could feel motivated and energetic there. Sydney was totally different, basically because it's in the city. Bustling energy, movement, motivation.

I hope I get in :)

Monstar

HSC
Heres a true story. A good friend of mine was with his girlfriend, as his girlfriend was going to USYD at the time. This was during the first week of the first semester, and they had just graduated from high school, so the both of them were being sociable and trying to make friends. One of the dudes, ask my good friend what course he was doing etc etc. My friend, wasnt going to USYD, instead explained his situation (blah blah he was here with his gf) and he was really going to UWS. The faggshit then said, 'you know what UWS stands for? U Went Shit' Keep in mind my friend didnt know this guy, he was a complete random.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Monstar said:
Heres a true story. A good friend of mine was with his girlfriend, as his girlfriend was going to USYD at the time. This was during the first week of the first semester, and they had just graduated from high school, so the both of them were being sociable and trying to make friends. One of the dudes, ask my good friend what course he was doing etc etc. My friend, wasnt going to USYD, instead explained his situation (blah blah he was here with his gf) and he was really going to UWS. The faggshit then said, 'you know what UWS stands for? U Went Shit' Keep in mind my friend didnt know this guy, he was a complete random.
Hahahahahahaha hero.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)